Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009

(Read 1397 times)
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « on: August 15, 2009, 08:12 PM »

Anyone else watching? I love athletics, so am totally glued. Jess Ennis is doing fantastically - let's hope it continues!!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:39 AM »

Anyone else watching? I love athletics, so am totally glued. Jess Ennis is doing fantastically - let's hope it continues!!

She be the heptathlete?  Haven't caught it that much but I had heard that she was doing well.  I don't seem to be as interested as the Sally Gunnell days Think
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:42 PM »

She is the heptathlete - and now the world champion, having led from the very first event. Amazing performance, truly outstanding Smile Also - y'all were probably following the tennis, but did anyone see Usain Bolt??!!! That man is superhuman. What an athlete!!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:43 PM »

9.71 for Gay, and he's still 2m behind, unreal.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:18 PM »

9.71 for Gay, and he's still 2m behind, unreal.

That was scary fast! And I think Bolt can go faster- amazing Smile
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:46 PM »

Rumours in Berlin that a finalist in the mens 100m failed a drugs test before the tournament. IAAF say nothing is confirmed. Apparently the German press are going to run it in the morning editions. Sad times for athletics (yet again) if true. I wonder who failed...
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 10:11 PM »

Bolt was so fast and the incredible thing is that he did not seem to be going all out yet.  Once he masters the 100m running technique, the records will continue to fall and I think he will easily break the 9.5 sec barrier.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:01 AM »

Rumours in Berlin that a finalist in the mens 100m failed a drugs test before the tournament. IAAF say nothing is confirmed. Apparently the German press are going to run it in the morning editions. Sad times for athletics (yet again) if true. I wonder who failed...

Well that scum Chambers was in it.....

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:19 AM »

She is the heptathlete - and now the world champion, having led from the very first event. Amazing performance, truly outstanding Smile Also - y'all were probably following the tennis, but did anyone see Usain Bolt??!!! That man is superhuman. What an athlete!!

She's from my neck of the wood too!  Sheffield girl. 

Nope, not seen any running search
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:08 PM »

Bolt was so fast and the incredible thing is that he did not seem to be going all out yet.  Once he masters the 100m running technique, the records will continue to fall and I think he will easily break the 9.5 sec barrier.

He's said he thinks he could go as fast as 9.4 but that that would be as fast as anyone could go!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 08:37 PM »

You never know. 11 seconds was seen as the ultimate at 1 point. Then 10 seconds was thought to be the limit. Not long ago 10 flat would get you a medal in the big competitions, perhaps even the gold. Now it's hopeless, 2nd to last in the final. Breaking 10 seconds has been seen as the major goal for a long time but now simply breaking 10 is nowhere near good enough. You need to smash it. It won't be too long until 10 flat doesn't even get you into the final IMO. People will only keep getting quicker. It won't be in our lifetime but why won't 9 seconds be the goal one day? There is no limit IMO. Maybe in the next millenium they might be doing 5 or 6 seconds.....
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 August 18, 2009, 08:43 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:01 PM »

Another gold for GB - anyone watch the triple jump Very Happy
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00 PM »

You never know. 11 seconds was seen as the ultimate at 1 point. Then 10 seconds was thought to be the limit. Not long ago 10 flat would get you a medal in the big competitions, perhaps even the gold. Now it's hopeless, 2nd to last in the final. Breaking 10 seconds has been seen as the major goal for a long time but now simply breaking 10 is nowhere near good enough. You need to smash it. It won't be too long until 10 flat doesn't even get you into the final IMO. People will only keep getting quicker. It won't be in our lifetime but why won't 9 seconds be the goal one day? There is no limit IMO. Maybe
in the next millenium they might be doing 5 or 6 seconds.....
I agree I think boundaries will be broken but apparently there is a physical limit where your body cannot exchange the oxygen quick enough to allow you to go any faster, but then I think there will always be one person who is exceptional and I think records will continue to be broken.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 04:02 PM »

Another gold for GB - anyone watch the triple jump Very Happy
You talking about Phillips Idouw?
Yes I did watch that but on replay, very well done Smile
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 10:18 PM »

And a bronze for Jenny Meadows in the 800m....though t event isn't without controversy!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8210471.stm

IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »