Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Athletics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

Athletics

(Read 1565 times)
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Athletics « Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 09:36 AM »

A sad day in British sport when we don't have anyone better than a cheat to select. I refuse to support him and hope he doesn't get past the first round. Yes I know he has served his ban and all that. But he will always be a cheat in my eyes and it's disgraceful that clean athletes have missed out in favour of him.

That was equally the view of the selectors. They implied that they acted under duress (though I think they bent rather too easily under that duress). They're looking to change the rules so that they can override the selection of trial winners if they've been banned for doping offences.

However, in a strongly worded statement, selectors made it clear they had chosen Chambers under duress.

"The committee was unanimous in its desire not to select Dwain," read the statement.

"Taking him to the World Indoors deprives young, upwardly mobile, committed athletes of this key development opportunity.

"Our World Class Performance Programme is focused on achievement at Olympic and World level.

"On this basis, it is extremely frustrating to leave young athletes at home; eligible for Beijing, in possession of the qualifying standard and committed to ongoing participation in a drug-free sport.

"In contrast, we have to take an individual whose sudden return, especially when considered against his previous actions and comments, suggests that he may be using the whole process for his own ends.

"Unfortunately, the committee felt that the selection criteria pertaining to the winner of the trials, coupled with the manner of Dwain's performance, left them no room to take any other decision.

"We wish all the selected athletes well at the event but will certainly explore ways in which future selections can be made to match the true 'spirit' of our sport."

IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Athletics « Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 09:44 AM »

It's incredibly unfair that athletes eligible for the Olympics are going to miss out on this experience. Like I said, I hope he gets knocked out the first round. Or even better, that he gets injured before the event and has to be replaced in the squad (if that is allowed of course).
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Athletics « Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 11:53 AM »

Ok so the London Marathon is happening now and one of the British ladies have qualified for the Olympics but they said Paula Radcliffe had is going to the olympics too but she didn't run the marathon.  Hows that?
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Athletics « Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 12:42 PM »

Well there's more than one qualifying event and more than one opportunity to get the qualifying time, surely? Plus...she's Paula Radcliffe!
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Athletics « Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 12:51 PM »

I assumed that there would have been other races to qualify.  Why didn't she run this one?  Is she injured?
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Athletics « Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 12:55 PM »

Paula Radcliffe has withdrawn from the London Marathon on 13 April because of a toe problem.

The 34-year-old Briton, who was aiming to win her fourth title, picked up the injury to her right foot when altitude training at her base in New Mexico.

"I am desperately disappointed that I have to pull out of this year's race," said Radcliffe.

"I love running in London and this race would have been the perfect test for me before the Olympic Games."
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Athletics « Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 12:59 PM »

Ahhh that may explain it lol  Fankyou!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »