Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007

(Read 5010 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 01:23 AM »

Has to be Lewis Hamilton IMO. Him, Jamie Murray and Christine Ohuruogu are the only conceiveable candidates for me, although I very much doubt the latter would get the votes due to her past. I'm not much of a boxig fan, haven't taken any interest since Lennox Lewis so I don't really know much about the boxer's achievements.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 02:04 AM »

Sports Personality.... James Mcfadden who's wants as gifts for his wedding, people to give money to charity instead.... what a guy.

Lewis hamilton.... Runs off to sweden to avoid the taxman.....

No contest.

But Calzaghe's achievements. Undisputed Super-middleweight champion of the world. That's equivalent to being F1 champion. Or Winning Wimbledon and the USOpen and the Australian Open in one season. lol Just to put it in perspective.
[ Last edit by nkp2 November 27, 2007, 02:05 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 03:00 AM »

Sounds great, but I'm not sure he'd get the popular votes over Lewis Hamilton.

As for the Hamilton vs McFadden attitude thing, this award tends to be more about sporting achievement. I feel what Hamilton did was amazing. He didn't win, but you can't deny what a magnificant year he had as a young guy in his first season. He led for pretty much the whole season until losing to a more experienced driver right at the end. Without wanting to start any arguments, what has McFadden actually done in terms of footballing achievements other than score THAT 1 goal in an ultimately failed qualifying campaign? And miss an open goal that ended up being the difference between qualifying and not. It's not a dig, it's a genuine question. I genuinely don't know what else he has done and I assume there must be something other than that goal for him to be given such good odds of getting the prize. In fact, I'm not even sure what club he's at these days which shows how little I know about his year. Is he still at Everton?

Anyway Jamie Murray surely has to get a mention doesn't he?

[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 27, 2007, 03:04 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 04:26 AM »

Lewis hamilton.... Runs off to sweden to avoid the taxman.....

That would be Switzerland Wink and it's because he can't be left alone by the press/public, not coz of the taxman Whistle lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30 AM »

Think last boxer to win was Lennox Lewis in 1999, before that it was Barry McGuigan in 1985 Think
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 04:37 AM »

Hatton fight's 16 hours before the show so might be too late even if he does win the fight . He gets my vote anyway.

EDIT. Just realised the public vote on the night doh

Shortlist advised on 30th November - from the beeb:

British sport stars celebrated a triumphant treble at the weekend with individual victories in three high-profile events.

Boxer Joe Calzaghe was on top of the world, new mum Paula Radcliffe claimed the New York Marathon and Justin Rose became Europe's number one golfer.

Bookmakers slashed their odds on being named BBC Sports Personality of the Year, and debate is raging over who should win the coveted prize.

Calzaghe is proving particularly popular with punters, and is as low as 5-1 third favourite with one bookie.

Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton remains favourite, although Ricky Hatton has a big fight on the eve of the award, and the Euro 2008 football qualifiers are coming to a climax.

Here, we look at the current Sports Personality front-runners, but remember these are just the bookies' views.

The shortlist of 10 contenders will be announced on 30 November, with a public vote for the winner on the night of the show - Sunday 9 December.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 04:52 AM »

I'd be suprised if there's any footballers given the qualification failures tbh. Well actually I won't be as there will no doubt be 1 out of the 10. Can't think of 1 who deserves a look in though.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 06:17 AM »

Sorry blush , should have put a link to the page in

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/7101462.stm

And McFadden only footy player in favourties
[ Last edit by Bevc November 27, 2007, 06:19 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 07:38 AM »

Ok so McFadden scored a few goals in qualifying. A reasonable year, but not really deserving of being a favourite for this award.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 27, 2007, 07:40 AM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 12:35 PM »

Christine Ohuruogu is a drugs cheat and should be band for life. If she was a cyclist and done the same thing they would be up in arms, but then again they did give it to that other convicted drugs cheat, Captain Nandrolone Linford Christie.

What on earth has Paula Radcliffe done to deserve a nomination this year? Completed a marathon with ******** in the street, there a thousands that should be up for the nomination if that is the criteria.

I would give it to one of the Boxers, they might be in with a chance since no minor royal is in the short list.

It shows you what dross it is when Stevie Davis won, you are not trying to tell me in 1988 a sportsman did not have more of a personality than that plank of wood.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 12:47 PM »

Radcliffe did win the NY marathon, and the story you're refering to didn't happen this year.
I think it'll be Hamilton unless Hatton wins.
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 02:00 PM »

I would like someone from a different sport to get this, someone like Chris Hoy from cycling, this year he has won 2 World Championship Golds, 6 World Cup Golds, International Keirin Gold, broke 500FS World Record, and got the Emirate Lonsdale Trophy for the 4th time.  If that's not a huge haul of gold medals I don't know what is?  And I think Lewis Hamilton should get newcomer of the year, 'cos that's what he is, who heard of him before this year?
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10 PM »

Christine Ohuruogu is a drugs cheat and should be band for life.

Prove it. She didn't fail any drugs tests.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 06:17 PM »

I think you're right. Also, she has passed 14 tests this year, as well as before the missed tests, which, i think, prove that she wasn't taking drugs, since as far as i know, drugs will only help if taken regularly, not if you just take them one-off
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2007 « Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 06:22 PM »

Have to agree with Neil. Calzaghe has been the biggest British star this year. Maybe hatton if he has beaten Mayweather, or possibly Toseland who has also done very well!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »