Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who do you think should win?  (Voting closed: December 14, 2008, 07:29 PM)
Rebecca Adlington - 4 (20%)
Nicole Cooke - 0 (0%)
Chris Hoy - 10 (50%)
Bradley Wiggins - 0 (0%)
Rebecca Romero - 0 (0%)
Ben Ainslie - 1 (5%)
Christine Ohuruogu - 0 (0%)
Andy Murray - 3 (15%)
Lewis Hamilton - 2 (10%)
Joe Calzaghe - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008

(Read 6322 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 03:27 PM »

It does require training and endurance, but i agree not to the same degree. However, although technology plays a big part, the skill is as much as any sport, IMO.

So you're telling me formula 1 requires the same amout of skill as a tennis player? That's wrong for a start.

To become a top, top professional tennis player you need to start at, I would say, 6 at the latest in most cases. Formula 1 obviously doesn't require anything like that dedication. The skill needed in formula 1 doesn't even compare to the skill required to be a top footballer or tennis player.
IP Logged
geo1

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 03:28 PM »

Ok then eliminate all fringe sports.. first how do we qualify a sport.. ?  fishing is a sport and unarguably the largest paticipation sport in the country, if not the world, by your argument Yamor, the only logical winner must be drawn from fishing.. Whistle
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 03:28 PM »

I'm sure there were hundreds, possibly even thousands of cyclists, who missed out on Olympic qualification.

Hoy also won 2 World Championship medals in 2008, he's the stand out for SPOTY.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 03:28 PM »

Yup, the skill needed to be a successful F1 driver is incredible.

Absolute ********. You can't be a top tennis player unless you start at a really early age.

Tell me, what skill does formula 1 require? It doesn't even compare. What shite you come out with sometimes.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 03:29 PM »

Yup, the skill needed to be a successful F1 driver is incredible.

The skill needed to be a successful sportsman or sportswoman in pretty much every field is incredible.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 03:31 PM »

The skill needed to be a successful sportsman in pretty much every field is incredible.

I disagree in the case of F1. Technology plays such a huge role.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 03:32 PM »

You can't be a top tennis player unless you start at a really early age.
To be a successful F1 driver you typically need to start racing at a very young age. What's your point?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 03:33 PM »

The drivers in F1 are still very skilled, in terms of handling pressure and reaction - I feel it is something you can't hone.

I totally agree with you though, a cyclist is on their own, a Minardi/Toro Rosso/Mickey Mouse Team  driver could probably contend an F1 championship if they were driving a McLaren, Ferrari etc.

Villenueve (Jacques) and Hamilton finished second in their debut F1 years, just because they were driving superior cars (Williams and McLaren respectively)
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 03:34 PM »

To be a successful F1 driver you typically need to spend most of your time racing at a very young age. What's your point?

It's not the same thing. Tennis is the same sport always. You are transitioning from one form of racing to another when you actually start with F1. Much of it may be the same, but there's undoubtedly a difference.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 03:37 PM »

The drivers in F1 are still very skilled, in terms of handling pressure and reaction - I feel it is something you can't hone.

I totally agree with you though, a cyclist is on their own, a Minardi/Toro Rosso/Mickey Mouse Team  driver could probably contend an F1 championship if they were driving a McLaren, Ferrari etc.

Villenueve (Jacques) and Hamilton finished second in their debut F1 years, just because they were driving superior cars (Williams and McLaren respectively)

I don't think holding one's nerve can be classed as a skill, though. It's not a physical attribute.

I just think people who say F1 drivers are as skilled as tennis players are kidding themselves on. At the end of the day, much of it is down to technology. And when you really get down to it, they are driving a vehicle.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 03:37 PM »

It's not the same thing. Tennis is the same sport always. You are transitioning from one form of racing to another when you actually start with F1. Much of it may be the same, but there's undoubtedly a difference.
What a load of crap, the fact is the skills needed to be a good F1 driver are learnt from a young age from karting and moving your way up through the other types of racing.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 03:38 PM »

What a load of crap, the fact is the skills needed to be a good F1 driver are learnt from a young age from karting and moving your way up.

So you're saying karting is the same as handling an F1 car? ********. And even if it was, they are still driving a bloody car.

It can't compare to the skill required in a sport like tennis.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 03:39 PM »

I don't think holding one's nerve can be classed as a skill, though. It's not a physical attribute.

Since when do skills have to be physical?

Our man Murray, one of the best readers of the game, a mental talent, not physical. Aided by his physical talents certainly.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 03:40 PM »

So you're saying karting is the same as handling an F1 car?
Why act an idiot? Of course I'm not doh
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 03:41 PM »

Since when do skills have to be physical?

Our man Murray, one of the best readers of the game, a mental talent, not physical. Aided by his physical talents certainly.

They don't have to be physical, but I take your point. However, what I was getting at is that a skill like reading the game is something you can hone. It comes with practice and experience. I don't think holding one's nerve is something that requires training. You either have the bottle or you don't.

Besides, you cannot bottle a race like you can a tennis match. There are far fewer things that can go wrong.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »