Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who do you think should win?  (Voting closed: December 14, 2008, 07:29 PM)
Rebecca Adlington - 4 (20%)
Nicole Cooke - 0 (0%)
Chris Hoy - 10 (50%)
Bradley Wiggins - 0 (0%)
Rebecca Romero - 0 (0%)
Ben Ainslie - 1 (5%)
Christine Ohuruogu - 0 (0%)
Andy Murray - 3 (15%)
Lewis Hamilton - 2 (10%)
Joe Calzaghe - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008

(Read 5995 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 03:43 PM »

Why act an idiot? Of course I'm not doh

I'm not acting like an idiot. You implied that it was the same thing.

I actually said that many things may be similar, but there are clear differences between karting and driving an F1 car. You said I was talking ********.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 03:44 PM »

You implied that it was the same thing.
No. I. Didn't.

I clearly implied that some of the skills needed to be an F1 driver are gradually learnt from competitive car racing in general.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 03:46 PM »

No. I. Didn't.

I clearly implied that some of the skills needed to be an F1 driver are gradually learnt from competitive racing in general.

When did I say that wasn't the case? Quote me. **** it, let me help you.

I said:

"You are transitioning from one form of racing to another when you actually start with F1. Much of it may be the same, but there's undoubtedly a difference."

You replied:

"What a load of crap, the fact is the skills needed to be a good F1 driver are learnt from a young age from karting and moving your way up through the other types of racing."

Explain why what I said was "a load of crap".
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 03:50 PM »

I was responding to "It's not the same thing. Tennis is the same sport always." as I feel the fundamentals are exactly the same when it comes learning the skills of the sport from a young age.

EDIT: I'm being rushed out by Cate before the shops shut, BBL.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 03:51 PM »

I was responding to "It's not the same thing. Tennis is the same sport always." as I feel the fundamentals are exactly the same when it comes learning the skills of the sport from a young age.

EDIT: I'm being rushed out by Cate before the shops shut, BBL.

I'm not continuing such a pointless discussion later.

You're comparing driving (yes, driving a bloody car in a sport dominated by teams with the best technology) to the dedication required to become a top tennis player.

It's ridiculous and I see no point in arguing any further.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 04:15 PM »

I find it absolutely ridiculous to compare skills in different sports, since they're often so different. The only way to look at it is how a sportsman compares to others in his sport.
I also dislike the fact that in the olympics, so many medals are given for for very similar disciplines in some sports. For that reason, something like Michael Phelps performance, which was absolutely unprecedented and unlikely to ever be beaten, is slightly diminished in my eyes. The real multiple gold medals I look out for are those in different sports, or at least completely different disciplines.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 04:33 PM »

I find it absolutely ridiculous to compare skills in different sports, since they're often so different.

Good posting!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 04:34 PM »

Absolutely ridiculous? No.

A tad irrelevant, maybe.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 04:38 PM »

He's just using Clydey's words against him, well deserved Smile
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 04:39 PM »

He's just using Clydey's words against him, well deserved Smile

Yeah, he sure showed me. Boy, I sure feel silly.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 04:39 PM »

lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #41 on: November 02, 2008, 04:40 PM »

You should because you are the one that came up with this ridiculous idea of comparing skills of top sports and saying one is so much less skilled than another.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #42 on: November 02, 2008, 04:41 PM »

You should because you are the one that came up with this ridiculous idea of comparing skills of top sports and saying one is so much less skilled than another.

No, I didn't. We were discussing who deserves to be win the award. Comparing was inevitable. In fact, it's a necessity to compare for the sport personality award.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008, 07:10 PM »

Hoy, Hamilton, Murray!
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #44 on: November 02, 2008, 08:48 PM »

In a non-Olympic year I'd say definitely say that Hamilton should get it but then again it is an Olympic year and the British athletes were very successful inparticular triple gold medalist Chris Hoy.

Hamilton will surely win the F1 World Chamionship in a non-Olympic year and therefore will win the Sports Personality. Murray will better this year's achievements in the coming years and will also win Sports Personality. Smile

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »