Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who do you think should win?  (Voting closed: December 14, 2008, 07:29 PM)
Rebecca Adlington - 4 (20%)
Nicole Cooke - 0 (0%)
Chris Hoy - 10 (50%)
Bradley Wiggins - 0 (0%)
Rebecca Romero - 0 (0%)
Ben Ainslie - 1 (5%)
Christine Ohuruogu - 0 (0%)
Andy Murray - 3 (15%)
Lewis Hamilton - 2 (10%)
Joe Calzaghe - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008

(Read 5725 times)
TCK
Challenger Level

A Miserable Little Pile Of BULL ****!

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #45 on: November 02, 2008, 09:22 PM »

I don't believe it, but I'm finding myself siding with Clydey, if not necessarily agreeing completely.  

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Rebecca Adlington figured into serious SPotY contention.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #46 on: November 02, 2008, 09:37 PM »

I don't believe it, but I'm finding myself siding with Clydey, if not necessarily agreeing completely.  

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Rebecca Adlington figured into serious SPotY contention.

You're seeing the light.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #47 on: November 02, 2008, 11:27 PM »

3 Olympic Gold medals > 2 Olympic Gold medals > F1 World Championship. Nuff said.

For me, a physical achievement is always greater than one that relies so heavily on what technology you have available. That's to take nothing away from Lewis Hamilton, still an amazing achievement. But IMO it relies so much more on having one of the best cars than Hoy did on having the best bike, or Adlington on having the best swim suit. However, I suspect the public will probably go for Hamilton.

Of course not any driver could win in Hamilton's car and of course the skills required are incredible. But in my opinon, and I suppose I'll get flamed for it, Chris Hoy would still have won 3 gold medals on any bike anybody else used while Lewis Hamilton would have won f**k all in a Honda. Absolutely not saying he won because of the car, but it is a competition that's only possible to win if you're in one of the top 2 or 3 teams. And that's why I personally believe an individual and more physical achievement like Chris Hoy or Rebecca Adlington is greater. Taking nothing away from Hamilton, I just feel the achievements this year or Hoy and Adlington and Wiggins (who everyone seems to forget about due to Hoy getting 1 more gold in the same sport) were greater.

Hamilton will probably win the Championship again, and he'll get this award when nobody else does anything of any note, probably a World Cup year or something. Similarly for Andy Murray. If he'd won that US Open final then he'd probably have won this, but while he did win several tournaments, he came 2nd in the big one and it goes without saying that 3 gold medals > 2nd.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 02, 2008, 11:45 PM ] IP Logged
TCK
Challenger Level

A Miserable Little Pile Of BULL ****!

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #48 on: November 03, 2008, 01:45 AM »

Out of interest (and I hate using "what if" scenarios), but if Paula Radcliffe had won the Olympic marathon would you have catapulted her above either Hoy or Adlington?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #49 on: November 03, 2008, 01:53 AM »

That's a tough one. I'd have had her above Hamilton certainly and she's just won the New York marathon too so she'd definitely make a good claim for the award and she has won it before. I'd probably still go with 3 gold medals though.

To clarify, I am in no way saying Hamilton won simply because of his car. I'm saying I personally rate physical achievements higher than motorsport.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 03, 2008, 05:39 AM ] IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 06:32 AM »

I read Page 1 and skipped to page 4.

I agree with Clydey I think having read those two pages.

Chris Hoy gets my vote. Adlington is up there as she's English so may attract more votes..... didn't stop Joe winning last year though!

Hamilton doesn't get sports personality because he doesn't deserve it. He's hardly dominated the season. It's not his first season either, regardless of how close he was last year.

And cycling a fringe sport? Are you taking the piss? Do you realise how many people own a bike! Not quite so many own a racing car!

I guarantee there is more people involved in cycle races than motor races!
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #51 on: November 03, 2008, 06:33 AM »

Out of interest (and I hate using "what if" scenarios), but if Paula Radcliffe had won the Olympic marathon would you have catapulted her above either Hoy or Adlington?

Not in the slightest. If it was her 3rd Olympic Gold maybe. OR if it was a new world record and she blew away the field. But let's face it, Hoy gets 3 golds at one games (and what, 5 in all??) and Adlington wins two and sets a massive new world record as well..... much better!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #52 on: November 03, 2008, 06:53 AM »

And cycling a fringe sport? Are you taking the piss? Do you realise how many people own a bike! Not quite so many own a racing car!

I guarantee there is more people involved in cycle races than motor races!

I wanted to comment on that aswell. How is cycling more of a "fringe" or niche sport than motor racing?
If I wanted to take up cycling, I could quite easily go out tomorrow, buy a bike and join a cycling club if I wanted to compete. How easy is it to go out and buy a racing car and take up motor racing of some sort?
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 03, 2008, 07:03 AM ] IP Logged
charlienomad
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #53 on: November 03, 2008, 09:07 AM »

For me, achievement at the Olympics is always particularly impressive as the majority of the competitors are amateurs and therefore hold down a full-time job as well as training...  Hence Tim Brabants combines winning gold in the 1000m kayaking with medicine! clap  Ok, Chris Moy is a pro, but the fact that the time and effort required to earn a living as a cyclist, when compared to the financial rewards, far outweigh the same for F1 racing (or, dare I say it, football or tennis) makes Chris the worthy winner this time round IMO.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #54 on: November 03, 2008, 09:26 AM »

And I might add that Rebecca Adlington will not get votes "because she's English." She will deservedly get votes because she won 2 Olympic Gold Medals and destroyed a world record that was widely deemed unbeatable in swimming circles.
And as for Joe last year, nothing to do with being English or not. Joe Calzaghe won his event, Lewis Hamilton didn't, hence Calzaghe won this particular award.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #55 on: November 03, 2008, 09:35 AM »

Bookies William Hill named Lewis 4/5 favourite to win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award.
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #56 on: November 03, 2008, 09:52 AM »

I'll be voting for Chris Hoy, not only was he the first Briton to win 3 gold medals at an Olympic games in 100 years, he also won 2 gold and 1 silver at the World Track Championships in Manchester this year and bacame the first Briton in 54 years to win the individual sprint, he's also a really nice guy, you only have to listen to what his team mates say about him.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #57 on: November 03, 2008, 11:28 AM »

I've never said that Hamilton should get it over Hoy. I haven't made up my mind at all, although I'm leaning towards Addlington. I don't agree that cycling is not a niche sport - it certainly is IMO. How many people compete at track cycling? Even in the Uk where it's more popular then anywhere else, there are very very few tracks, and very little competition. In the rest of the world, it's just as bad. A second thing I don't like is the similarity of the cycling events.
I also agree with Alex that the nationality won't come into the voting, at least outside of Scotland.
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 12:31 PM »

I've never said that Hamilton should get it over Hoy. I haven't made up my mind at all, although I'm leaning towards Addlington. I don't agree that cycling is not a niche sport - it certainly is IMO. How many people compete at track cycling? Even in the Uk where it's more popular then anywhere else, there are very very few tracks, and very little competition. In the rest of the world, it's just as bad. A second thing I don't like is the similarity of the cycling events.
I also agree with Alex that the nationality won't come into the voting, at least outside of Scotland.
There is quite a lot of cycling competitions, it's more that they aren't televised so we don't always know about them, the same can be said of swimming, and you can't really say the cycling events are similar unless you are only talking about the track events, there's also BMX, road racing, mountain biking, Tour de France all very different, swimmings similar too, you can do it on your back or front.  Whistle
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 01:07 PM »

My vote is definitely for Rebecca. Smile

Until April this year England only had two Olympic standard swimming pools which just shows the insignificance of the sport. The 800m freestyle in which she set the world record is one of the most participated and practised swimming events so in theory the hardest record to set and she was the first British swimmer to win more than one gold since the 1900s. Also the fact that she still trains in a county squad means she came from absolutely no where, I was in one, it's your effort or nothing. Her success is just admirable. Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »