Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who do you think should win?  (Voting closed: December 14, 2008, 07:29 PM)
Rebecca Adlington - 4 (20%)
Nicole Cooke - 0 (0%)
Chris Hoy - 10 (50%)
Bradley Wiggins - 0 (0%)
Rebecca Romero - 0 (0%)
Ben Ainslie - 1 (5%)
Christine Ohuruogu - 0 (0%)
Andy Murray - 3 (15%)
Lewis Hamilton - 2 (10%)
Joe Calzaghe - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008

(Read 5781 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #75 on: December 01, 2008, 07:24 PM »

The shortlist for that is Tom Daley, Robson and the Paralymic winner Eleanor Simmonds. They're all 14.
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #76 on: December 01, 2008, 07:28 PM »

That's probably the most promising Young Personality line up i can remmeber.... all three of them would be pretty deserving.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #77 on: December 01, 2008, 09:46 PM »

Gotta be Robson.

And Gotta be The Real McHoy!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #78 on: December 01, 2008, 11:55 PM »

I think 1. Hoy
2. Hamilton
3. Adlington
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #79 on: December 02, 2008, 01:35 AM »

I think 1. Hoy
2. Hamilton
3. Adlington

Right enough, those 3 are the only ones to be nominated by all the sports editors for the shortlist.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #80 on: December 02, 2008, 02:28 PM »

Are Nicole Cooke’s efforts not greater than that of Chris Hoy's or the big nosed swimmer?

She was the first ever woman to win the world championship and Olympic road races in the same year. I would say that that is more deserving but then again it has never been about sporting achievement.

I never bother with this pish, after previous winners that included drugs cheats and parasitic Germans it does not deserve a ha’ppeny of licence payers money to stage.
[ Last edit by AL1874 December 02, 2008, 02:32 PM ] IP Logged
maxply
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #81 on: December 02, 2008, 04:46 PM »

pish ! what a good word for it.   clap
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #82 on: December 02, 2008, 06:01 PM »

Are Nicole Cooke’s efforts not greater than that of Chris Hoy's or the big nosed swimmer?

She was the first ever woman to win the world championship and Olympic road races in the same year. I would say that that is more deserving but then again it has never been about sporting achievement.

I never bother with this pish, after previous winners that included drugs cheats and parasitic Germans it does not deserve a ha’ppeny of licence payers money to stage.

In fairness, all three have done amazing things.
IP Logged
TCK
Challenger Level

A Miserable Little Pile Of BULL ****!

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #83 on: December 03, 2008, 08:31 AM »

Half the problem with such an event is that it's effectively saying that being the best in one discipline is worth less than being the best in another.  At least in previous years our successes were fewer to the point that we had little choice in determining who was the best out of the bunch.
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #84 on: December 03, 2008, 09:00 AM »

This kinda puts Greg Rusedski's SPotY win in perspective LOL
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #85 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41 AM »

I must try to avoid this thread after the show has been on plus avoid sportinglife etc for a few days. My grandmother usually records it and posts it to us, so it will take a week or so until we get it.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #86 on: December 03, 2008, 09:42 AM »

You won't be able to look at most sport news sites as well, probably.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #87 on: December 03, 2008, 11:09 AM »

Indeed. lol
I know I won't be able to avoid the result but I can try. I'd really like to because for once this will be an awesome show and the result could go any of several ways.
The last few years I've always forgot and ended up seeing the headline on sportinglife or somewhere, but it hasn't really mattered much as there's only ever been 1 conceiveable winner for years. Pretty rare these days for us to have more than 1 person achieve anything of any note.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #88 on: December 03, 2008, 04:21 PM »

Shocked to see Murray leading Hamilton in the poll on this thread!
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #89 on: December 03, 2008, 11:30 PM »

Indeed. lol
I know I won't be able to avoid the result but I can try. I'd really like to because for once this will be an awesome show and the result could go any of several ways.
The last few years I've always forgot and ended up seeing the headline on sportinglife or somewhere, but it hasn't really mattered much as there's only ever been 1 conceiveable winner for years. Pretty rare these days for us to have more than 1 person achieve anything of any note.

I don't remeber Calzaghe being the favourite last year, I thought a lot of peole had Hamilton to win it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »