Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who do you think should win?  (Voting closed: December 14, 2008, 07:29 PM)
Rebecca Adlington - 4 (20%)
Nicole Cooke - 0 (0%)
Chris Hoy - 10 (50%)
Bradley Wiggins - 0 (0%)
Rebecca Romero - 0 (0%)
Ben Ainslie - 1 (5%)
Christine Ohuruogu - 0 (0%)
Andy Murray - 3 (15%)
Lewis Hamilton - 2 (10%)
Joe Calzaghe - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008

(Read 5756 times)
Scottie
World No 1

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « on: November 02, 2008, 10:15 AM »

I am not obsessed with F1 personally.  I think they have talent, and are probably very athletic.  Looking at the top drivers they are all in very good shape.  My problem with it is that the outcome is often resolved through technical issues such as engine failures or pit stops.  That is not sport as far as I am concerned.

For me the sports personality of this year is Chris Hoy who won 3 golds, on top of the medals he won in Athens.  He also won a number of golds at the world championships, I think including in events that he cannot compete in at the olympics as the event is not held then.  I suspect that Rebecca (?) Adlington may take it.  I think the BBC try to influence the outcome anyway through their trailers for the voting and the programme.  

Who do you think will take it?  Perhaps this should be a fresh link?

Chris Hoy should win it. He deserves it. Hamilton 2nd and Murray 3rd.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:09 PM »

Hamilton deserves it if he wins the championship, certainly more so than some guy who did really well just for a few days.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 01:13 PM »

But what about all the previous success he's had? And the hard work he's put into his training? Plus he was absolutely dominant in every race. He deserves it far more than Hamilton.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 01:21 PM »

Chris Hoy won 3 golds, he absolutely dominated the whole field - he is more deserving than Hamilton.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 01:36 PM »

I don't agree, simply because cycling is a bit of a fringe sport.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 01:40 PM »

So how does that diminish his achievements?

How often does an athlete win 3 gold medals at one Olympics?
IP Logged
geo1

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 02:14 PM »

Hamilton deserves it if he wins the championship, certainly more so than some guy who did really well just for a few days.

Thats a truly crap argument Mark.. you dismiss  years of grind and hard work.. be ashamed.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 02:16 PM »

God, I missed that post from Mark.

So Chris Hoy sits on his arse watching Trisha until the Olympics roll round, does he?
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 02:51 PM »

Like ****. He drove a car. Hoy actually broke sweat and dominated his field.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 03:13 PM »

I'm not diminishing his achievements, and I realise how he dominated. However, I don't think sports personality should be from such a fringe sport, with a small pool of competitors and few spectators (at least in between the olympics anyway). Even in countries where cycling is very big (like Belgium and other European countries), it's only road cycling which is talked about.
I don't agree with Clydey about formula 1. Who says a sport has to be all about sweating and pumping muscle? The skill and nerve of all formula 1 drivers is absolutely amazing.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 03:17 PM »

I'm not diminishing his achievements, and I realise how he dominated. However, I don't think sports personality should be from such a fringe sport, with a small pool of competitors and few spectators (at least in between the olympics anyway). Even in countries where cycling is very big (like Belgium and other European countries), it's only road cycling which is talked about.
I don't agree with Clydey about formula 1. Who says a sport has to be all about sweating and pumping muscle? The skill and nerve of all formula 1 drivers is absolutely amazing.

The skill of a formula 1 isn't the same league as that of a footballer or tennis player. At the end of the day they are driving. It is as much about the technology as it is the driver. You're kidding yourself if you say that formula 1 requires as much skill, training and endurance as a truly physical sport.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 03:21 PM »

Formula 1 has a global field of 22 competitors, surely one of the smallest fields?

I'm a huge Hamilton fan, but a sizeable portion of F1 success is down to the teams and the mechanical reliability of the cars, and perhaps also pit stop strategy, would you not agree? No doubt that Hamilton is talented, he excelled at every level, karts, F3 and GP2 - but he's slipped up a few times this year when the pressure was on.

Hoy was flawless, he crushed the competition in every race he participated in.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 03:22 PM »

It does require training and endurance, but i agree not to the same degree. However, although technology plays a big part, the skill is as much as any sport, IMO.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 03:23 PM »

Of course the actual formula 1 field is small, but the amount of people who race at lower levels is huge. I never meant that the actual race has to have a thousand people in it - no sport has that! Just the pool of competitors is too small in cycling.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 « Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 03:25 PM »

It does require training and endurance, but i agree not to the same degree. However, although technology plays a big part, the skill is as much as any sport, IMO.
Yup, the skill needed to be a successful F1 driver is incredible.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »