Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Commonwealth Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Commonwealth Games  (Read 4055 times)
Banannie
Veteran

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 01:24 PM »

You guys no a bit of Latin already, thats really great,  if I was in Britain I would speak it as fluently as Virgil did.

Mwahahaha - i know a bit of Latin, but never again will i sit in a classroom learning it, and translating it Very Happy I gave it up at the end of last school year..... I think Julia did too......

Oh yeah, what happened to your explanation of Britishness?  Wink
IP Logged
arka
Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 01:24 PM »

Ego is I or me.
Sum will be something like to be.
Mercator......... have to consult a dictionary

wait for some time
IP Logged
arka
Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #32 on: March 16, 2006, 01:27 PM »

Okay I will go offline and write an explaination for my Britishness. Latin comes later....
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #33 on: March 16, 2006, 02:12 PM »

hehehe.....shall we confuse everyone Julia, and have a latin conversation?  Whistle Now that's one language that quite a few people wouldn't understand..... confused

roflmao What an idea! Smile Although i can't really have a typical conversation.. when i learnt latin it was all like "Caecilius went to the town hall, because the dog needed food." etc  Whistle

I gave it up at the end of last school year..... I think Julia did too.....

Yep i did Wink I would be MAD to take it for GCSE.. although abuot 20 out of 60 people in my year did.  shocking
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #34 on: March 16, 2006, 02:15 PM »

roflmao What an idea! Smile Although i can't really have a typical conversation.. when i learnt latin it was all like "Caecilius went to the town hall, because the dog needed food." etc  Whistle

Yep i did Wink I would be MAD to take it for GCSE.. although abuot 20 out of 60 people in my year did.  shocking

Lol, yeah!! The way we learned Latin was ridiculous - did you use Cambridge Latin Course books, right? Awwww....Caecilius and errrm.....noooooo i've forgotten the names  shocking

In my year it was 6 out of 130!!! roflmao
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 02:20 PM »

Yea!!! w00t The scentances i rememeber translating were ridiculous. In the lessons we always mucked around and tried to translate them into complete nonsense.. like Caecilius in dickius exicit. You know what i mean.  Whistle

Yea there's Caecilius, Quintus, Matella (the wife...???) and not forgetting the agricolae and can't rememeber what the ship men people are called.  confused
LOL yea i think everyone learns from the Cambridge Latin Course books.
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #36 on: March 16, 2006, 02:21 PM »

scotland are second in the medal table! woooooooooooo (altho it was a bit dissapointing the cyclists didnt do better, then we would have been top) anyone know who was the scottish flag bearer at the opening ceremony?
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #37 on: March 16, 2006, 02:24 PM »

roflmao aaaah..... genius! In the end of year exams my friend did something like that because she couldn't be bothered to do it properly and she ended up saying that someone was a pimp.....and a prik and a player......and the translation she did was hilarious Whistle

Although Latin was a load of ****, you have to admit it was quite fun sometimes Wink
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #38 on: March 16, 2006, 02:31 PM »

roflmao Pimped Caecilius! Love it! Very Happy Very Happy
End of year exams are always such a faliure.. i some how ended up in the top class (well out of two classes) for Latin.. and the top class got an average of 43%.  roflmao I got 32%!! WOOO! Worst mark i have ever got. But i didn't revise so i guess i got of easily Wink

It WAS fun.. but impossible. I wasted SOO much time in translating stupid scentences. I've forgotten everything now anyway.  dontknow
This is the only thing i remember: Caecilius est in urbs aula. Very Happy What an achievment for learning a language for 2 years!!  ranting
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #39 on: March 16, 2006, 02:36 PM »

Yesh, end of year exams were hilarious - many people just ended up writing their own story, not even bothering with the latin......for example, someone wrote a story about my latin teacher going out with this other latin teacher - she got in soo much trouble Wink Surprisingly i managed to do really well in latin - 1st year i got 95%, 2nd year - 98% and last year 99% - absolutely ridiculous!!  Think

Hmmmm...... i remember quite a few random ones.......canis est in via....Gromio est in horto etc etc....
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #40 on: March 16, 2006, 08:51 PM »

Anyway, Commenwealth Games,
Watched some last night, particularly enjoyed seeing us get gold, silver and bronze in that individual cycling pursuit, 4000m I think it was. We should have a good chance in the team one with those 3 guys.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #41 on: March 16, 2006, 08:54 PM »

so wat are these games?

Its the olympics, but for the countries in the commenwealth.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #42 on: March 16, 2006, 08:56 PM »

Odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. 
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

One of my favourite latin quotes...
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #43 on: March 16, 2006, 08:56 PM »

Its the olympics, but for the countries in the commenwealth.

So the USA don't get a look in for once! Rock on the commonwealth!
IP Logged
arka
Re: Commonwealth Games « Reply #44 on: March 17, 2006, 05:43 AM »

Odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. 
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

One of my favourite latin quotes...

I know that one...... Its something like: I love as well as hate. You may want to know why I do this. I dont know but this is causing pain.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »