Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Cricket Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 ... 98 Go Down Reply
Author

Cricket Thread

(Read 47725 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1275 on: August 24, 2009, 08:55 PM »

Thank god, thats the minority sport finished with. Whistle Very Happy
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1276 on: August 24, 2009, 10:28 PM »

Not exactly, still got the ODI's and twenty20's to come... And tennis is more of a minority sport then cricket anyway!
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1277 on: August 24, 2009, 11:54 PM »

I don't think it's a minority sport, it's just more of a posh boys sport!- outside of major teams though obv

And yeah, you hear results from every county on the radio, only andy, roger and rafa get a mention tennis-wise
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1278 on: August 25, 2009, 12:59 PM »

Got it in 1. Although precisely its British Wimbledon winner rather than Grand Slam. Pretty obvious wasn't it? lol

Does it have to be a male winner? If not, you're kinda half way there with Laura Robson on that one!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1279 on: August 25, 2009, 01:45 PM »

Well a male senior singles winner, although a woman would do nicely too! I've just always thought of it being a male because a woman even making it to the middle weekend has been inconceiveable for my whole life whereas there have been several semi finals for males.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1280 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08 PM »

What about Jamie Murray?!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1281 on: August 25, 2009, 02:11 PM »

That was awesome of course, but the dream has always been to witness a singles winner.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1282 on: August 25, 2009, 04:02 PM »

Too right it was awesome! Probably the day I fell in love with tennis Very Happy
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1283 on: August 27, 2009, 11:30 AM »

So we're 11-2 in the ODI against Ireland. And guess who got a duck. Yep, the absolutely hapless Bopara. Why on Earth would you open with him after the tests showed he just can't play against the new ball? In fact, the guy is just not an international cricketer. At least not in the top order. How many chances does he need to be given?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1284 on: December 30, 2009, 09:19 AM »

Gosh, I've been badly neglecting this thread sorry

Anyhow, England win in South Africa by an innings and 98 runs cmon yeah

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/8434398.stm

Just noticed your last post above Alex - you will of course be aware that Bopara is playing down here at the moment.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1285 on: December 30, 2009, 09:27 AM »

Managed to catch the last 3 wickets through sopcast. cmon yeah

Indeed Bopara is playing NZ domestic cricket in front of handfuls of people for Auckland. That's his level IMO - as far away as is possible to be from England! Started fairly slowly but he did make a hundred last week to be fair to him.

Owais Shah has just arrived here in Wellington to play Twenty20 for Wellington. Bit upset at how he's just been discarded by England. He's a player I've always rated quite highly and I feel he should still be at least in the ODI and Twenty20 setup. Was never given an extended chance in the side in the way Bopara was, it was always a couple of games here, a couple there etc.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1286 on: December 30, 2009, 09:54 AM »

Well it might do them good.  Straussy was here before the games against NZ and hasn't looked back since.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1287 on: January 08, 2010, 01:09 AM »

Onions does it again and we can't lose the series. cmon yeah

Not good that for the 3rd time in 2 series it's been left to the number 11 to save us with the bat, but it's good to have lower order players who can bat. I think the current England team is the first since I've been watching that has tailenders who can hold a bat. I've grown up with us regularly having 4 absolute bunnies and in the last few years, wicket keepers who could hardly bat either. Used to be that when we got 6 down we'd be lucky to score 15 more runs. Now we've got 2 bowlers who can even hit 50s and a number 10 and 11 who are capable of sticking around for a while.

Anyway speaking of our good friend Mr Bopara, I have just brushed shoulders with him. Went for a walk down the main shopping street in Wellington in my lunch break and Scott Styris (NZ player who plays for Auckland) came out of the shop in front of me. He was followed by Lou Vincent (former NZ player at Auckland) and behind him appeared Ravi Bopara. As I recognised his face I let out an uncontrollable snigger. He didn't notice, but after all I've said and thought about him from the opposite side of the world, I've now virtually laughed in his face. roflmao
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1288 on: January 08, 2010, 02:05 AM »

Yeah, it is quite a good feeling, knowing that you can rely a bit on your bowlers!

However, despite Onions heroics in the two tests, he is really a true number 11, although he definitely has the talent to improve on that.

It is quite interesting - the next two fast bowlers in the pecking order, and the next spin bowler can also bat a bit - namely, Sidebottom, Plunkett and Tredwell (the last two, I'd say even more then a bit - more on a Shane Warne level, probably). When you also consider that Rashid, who's a true all-rounder, is being touted as being a future world-class spinner, it's looking very good on that front!
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1289 on: January 08, 2010, 02:16 AM »

Another thing - everyone talks about Broad's ability to bat, and how he could end being a genuine all-rounder. It's probably that which keeps him above Swann in the order. However, on merit, I believe that at the moment Swann should be batting higher then him. It's not like Swann has had a bit of luck in the few test matches he's played - he averages close to 30 with the bat in county cricket as well, with a few centuries as well, if I remember correctly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 ... 98 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »