Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Cricket Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 Go Down Reply
Author

Cricket Thread

(Read 47955 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1410 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29 AM »

Australia, having lost just the other day to the WI's, won the women's World Cup, beating the WI's.  Such a dramatic turnaround Whistle  ICC need to look at this format naughty
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1411 on: March 12, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Looking forward to the test in Wellington this week starting tomorrow. Will definitely go at least one of the days in the weekend. Hopefully both but still waiting to find out whether I have anything pre-season football-wise.

Also my English friend at work is playing a T20 for the Barmy Army against the Beige Brigade (NZ supporters) this afternoon.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1412 on: March 12, 2013, 09:21 PM »

Enjoy!  I envy you!  Pity there's no test here but Seddon Park is not a lucky ground for England Embarassed
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1413 on: March 14, 2013, 03:12 AM »

206-1 wish I was there instead of being stuck in an office down the road following Cricinfo text commentary all day. Very tempted to just call in "sick" tomorrow...... lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1414 on: March 14, 2013, 06:23 AM »

I was following livescores for the tennis, live text on the beeb for the cricket, 'working' and listening to my music.  Couple of great centuries clap  I can highly recommend the beeb text commentary - there's some lively banter on there.  Oh, Michael Vaughan put the mockers on Cook:-

Michael Vaughan, BBC Test Match Special
"The opening partnership sends message back to dressing room, and these two have done that, it's just what a number three and four want to see. It's perfect from England so far."

WICKET- Cook c Fulton b Wagner 17 (Eng 26-1)

Cook falls in bizarre fashion as he prods a length ball straight to Fulton at mid-on. What a tame dismissal. Bradmanesque it wasn't. Did the McCullum mind games work?

PS I heard there's a nasty bug going around Wellington Whistle  Just don't be near any tv cameras secret service agent

IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1415 on: March 14, 2013, 07:51 AM »

Heh decided to do it by the book in the end and taking a day of leave tomorrow. Also planning to go Saturday and Sunday as currently there's no pre-season football game this weekend and fingers crossed one doesn't get organised.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1416 on: March 14, 2013, 08:10 AM »

Would have probably done the same myself, despite having a bucket load of sick leave. Enjoy your days there. Very Happy
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1417 on: March 15, 2013, 06:21 AM »

Enjoyable day. We should have scored more, probably should have been looking at 550ish after that first day but thank heavens for Prior or it would have been disaster. Would have been NZ's day but getting those 3 wickets at the end of the day means we edged it I think. No word of any pre-season football friendly so I'll be back there tomorrow. Smile
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1418 on: March 16, 2013, 08:45 AM »

Another enjoyable day at the cricket. Looks like rain is coming late tomorrow and all day Monday so really need to bowl NZ out tomorrow or it will be a draw. Sat with the Barmy Army most of the day today which was great fun, almost like a dream come true for me really. Would love to be able to just take a couple of years off everything and join them following England around the world. Highlight of the chants was when a drunk NZ fan dressed in cricket whites, bit chubby and with wavy blond hair over his ears started trying to get some anti English chants going and then they all sang "You're just a fat Matthew Hoggard, fat Matthew Hoggard, you're just a fat Matthew Hoggard." Then when he came out with a chant against Stuart Broad (he takes it from his Dad or something) they all went back at him with "Shane Warne's love child, Shane Warne's love child..." Lots of fun.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1419 on: March 17, 2013, 08:38 PM »

Was at the cricket for the 3rd day in a row and pretty frustrating. The forecast was for rain although not until late on but unfortunately it came at lunch time. Seemed to be perfect timing as it started while they were walking off for lunch and so the ground staff quickly got the covers on and it stopped at the end of lunch and the sun came out so play was only delayed by 15 minutes. So the covers came off, the players came out as they set foot back on the pitch it suddenly bucketed down again and that was that. Few moments of false hope when it cleared, the umpires emerged to inspect things and then it rained again. Finally it cleared enough to start again at 5.10pm and the plan was for 22 more overs but they only managed 6 before it poured again and that was finally that. Forecast is worse today (it's currently torrential) and it's likely to be a complete washout so looks like a 3rd test decider.

They bowled 29 overs before lunch so if they hadn't made it back for the extra 6 we'd have got a 50% refund for there being less than 30 overs! Get nothing now. lol

Have always been a big autograph collector and managed a decent haul from these 3 days. Finn, Prior, Broad, Compton and Root from the current 11 (got Pietersen, Cook and Anderson last time England were here 5 years ago) plus also Woakes and Bairstow from the squad so just missed out on Trott, Panesar and Bell from the 11 - Bell and Panesar being the only ones never to emerge from the dressing room throughout the 5 hours of rain delay while everyone else came out to sign autographs for the few people who had stuck around (I didn't quite get there in time when Trott emerged). Bell was the same in 2008 too being the only one to walk onto the bus and ignore everyone while all the others stayed and signed for everyone. Also managed Botham (which I'd got previously too), Flower, Gooch, Atherton and Lloyd.

We're in the middle of a drought as Wellington has had its dryest summer since 1919 or something. It's reached the point where all sorts of water restrictions are in place and there's only about 2 weeks worth of water supply left in Wellington. We haven't seen a drop of rain since 4th February and before that not since 2012 so of course it decides to finally bucket down and ruin the test match. lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1420 on: March 18, 2013, 12:13 AM »

Great reports Alex.  Sorry the test was such a wash out yesterday.  Must have travelled down fast as didn't hit us until 10 am. Currently drying up our way and the sun is out.

All to play for in Auckland crossfingers
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1421 on: March 18, 2013, 01:55 AM »

It was raining at home when I got up yesterday morning - I live in north Wellington and the Basin Reserve is on the southern side of the city centre. Thought there was no chance of it starting on time when I left home but at the ground it was warm and sunny until lunch time. The weather was all coming from the north. Completely washed out today and they have finally just abandoned it.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1422 on: March 18, 2013, 02:15 AM »

Anyway really enjoyed the time supporting my other great sporting passion alongside Arsenal. If I ever won lotto I reckon I'd just up leave and join the Barmy Army for a year or 2.

Alas my success rate of England in tests in NZ is not great. Went to 1 day of the Eden Park test back in 2002 that we ended up losing. Then the last day of the terrible Hamilton test in 2008 when we needed 300 to win and got bowled out for 110. If only Sidebottom hadn't taken all those wickets including the hattrick on day 4 it would have been a draw and I never would have made the drive down there for the day! Then 3 days of this washout draw!

My limited overs success rate is better though. Went to the ODI in Auckland in 2002 which we won with an amazing flying catch on the boundary from Darren Gough. Then the T20 and ODI in Auckland in 2008 and we won both, then the T20 in Wellington this time. There was also the T20 loss in Hamilton and 2 massacres in ODIs in Australia in 2007.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1423 on: March 18, 2013, 11:44 PM »

I remember that Sidebottom hattrick very well - I was there!  If I remember rightly, you and your brother came down to Hamilton.  We weren't able to make the last day as we were picking friends up from Auckland.  They managed to see the test in Napier, where, despite a late stand by Southee, England were victorious. Very Happy

Many congratulations on the job offer btw Very Happy
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Cricket Thread « Reply #1424 on: March 19, 2013, 12:16 AM »

Thanks. Yeah I went down with my Mum and my brother. Wouldn't have done had it not been for all those wickets as it would have been a draw. But then when Sidebottom bowled them out and it suddenly looked like we might win on the last day we decided to go.

They really need to schedule test matches a bit earlier, particularly in Wellington. Every single year they have the test match in March and it gets rained out every time. Even though we're in a drought this is still the time of year this happens. Should play them in February.

To be fair though, test cricket is very difficult in NZ because we just don't generally have the weather to sustain 5 days of cricket. I don't know why the ICC don't reserve 6 days for tests so there is a reserve day in case a whole day gets washed out. Seems to make sense, although wouldn't have helped here as it's torrential again today.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »