Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 Go Down Reply
Author

EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION

(Read 25440 times)
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #855 on: November 21, 2007, 11:08 PM »

I saw bits of the second half and the only two players I'd give a round of applause to would be Crouch and Beckham.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #856 on: November 21, 2007, 11:11 PM »

You're right, the players didn't perform, but surely thats part of the managers job. Come on, scotland, give us alex mcleish...
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #857 on: November 21, 2007, 11:25 PM »

Ah well....... Whats the difference between Lewis Hamilton and the England football team???

Lewis will still have a McLaren next year!!!!!!   lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #858 on: November 21, 2007, 11:31 PM »

Oh I love it! Nice one!

You didn't make that up did you?
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #859 on: November 21, 2007, 11:32 PM »

He couldn't of, i heard it already a couple of months ago!
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #860 on: November 21, 2007, 11:39 PM »

That's very good. And no, you're not getting McLeish. And you can't have Walter Smith either. They're ours! See Man U are scouting Hutton...
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #861 on: November 21, 2007, 11:45 PM »

Oh well...
It's actually quite interesting that Scotlands footballers aren't as good as some of the teams they've had in the past, but Scotland still has a heck of a lot of good managers. Even NI have a top one - o' Neill. But England? Noone really outstanding, just a few average ones, like allardyce, and a few crap ones like mclaran...
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #862 on: November 21, 2007, 11:51 PM »

Oh I love it! Nice one!

You didn't make that up did you?

Nah!! A friend told me it about 15 mins after England lost.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #863 on: November 22, 2007, 12:00 AM »

I just thought of something that just cheered me up a little: us english fans aren't the only ones upset tonight, austria and switzerland must be upset to be losing the biggest group of fans they could have got, and uefa can't be too happy about the television money they're going to lose from the uk (i think they normally make the most money from here) because there's noone left in the tournament!
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #864 on: November 22, 2007, 12:02 AM »

Yeah, they should never have got rid of Scotland!
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #865 on: November 22, 2007, 12:02 AM »

I just thought of something that just cheered me up a little: us english fans aren't the only ones upset tonight, austria and switzerland must be upset to be losing the biggest group of fans they could have got, and uefa can't be too happy about the television money they're going to lose from the uk (i think they normally make the most money from here) because there's noone left in the tournament!

I'm sure Switzerland and Austrias police arent too dissapointed by missing out on the English! Whistle
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #866 on: November 22, 2007, 06:36 AM »

Cancelled out by your lot allowing the worse Italian fans to get there though tbh.

Not going to argue about it, we deserve everything you will say. Absolutely deserved to lose. We were just second class, and if we had held on for the 2-2 it would have been a real injustice. Croatia looked like scoring every time they got the ball and to be fair, we were quite lucky we didn't let in 6 or 7 in my honest opinion. We certainly deserved to.

Oddly, I'm pretty down of course, but not on the verge of suicide as I imagined I might be. Perhaps it's because I had resigned myself to this outcome a long time ago, after defeat in Croatia and the draw with Macedonia. This just confirmed it officially. Perhaps also I just feel less for the national side now with there being no real prospect of an Arsenal player being anywhere near the side for some years to come.  I used to be able to relate to players I watched week in, week out and loved with all my heart. Seaman (who was my hero given I've always played in goal myself), Adams, Wright, Keown, Dixon, and in more recent times Campbell and Cole. There's not one player in the team I give 2 farts about anymore.

I am absolutely gobsmacked to come online and NOT read that Mclaren has resigned. What little respect anyone had for him, and what little dignity he might have had is certainly gone now. Surely he will be sacked by the weekend. Personally, I feel the entire FA board should go with him. It was afterall them who appointed him when the whole world could have told you we needed change, not the same old mediocrity he had been involved in for the previous 5 years. The bookies reckon Mourinho is a favourite for the job. I have no doubts the FA will do what they always do. They'll go after Mourinho, Scolari, Rijkaard, Wenger, Hiddink etc. And end up appointing Pearce, Roeder, Allardyce or Jol. Frown

Absolutely no blame should be placed upon Scott Carson. Yes, he made a poor error. But the guy is 22 years old with very little experience and only just made his debut in a meaningless friendly on Friday. This goalkeeping change should have been made after the game in Croatia. To bring him in for this game of all games, Mclaren hung him out to dry.

Wow this is turning into a novel and I still haven't said what I actually wanted to say. lol
This game pointed out 2 important things for me.

Firstly, as long as David Beckham is playing, he must start for England. He's not going to be able to run up and down the touchline much anymore. But he is always going to find you at least a goal or 2 every time. IMO, he will still create goals just like today's when he's 50. Without a doubt. The skill he has is just something you don't lose like you do pace and fitness.

Secondly, and most importantly, this game highlighted the issue of too many foreign players filling up the Premiership teams. An issue I keep banging on about. In fact, this whole qualifying campaign has shown it in full. We have suffered from key injuries throughout, and where say Brazil might replace Ronaldinho with Robinho, we replace Wayne Rooney with Gareth Barry in a holding role. 2 injuries in defence, and we've got a long past it Sol Campbell and a 2nd division quality Joleon Lescott starting. 1 injury in any position really is a disaster because there's just noone else to choose! The teams are just so full of foreigners that outside the first choice 11, there really is not anyone else available. At 2-0 down, the only attacking options we had on the bench were 2 players who can't get a game at Spurs! FFS! no Frown

The media will no doubt find a way to blame Arsene Wenger for England's failure to qualify, but it's not just 1 club. 1 injury and there wasn't even an Manchester United player in sight today FFS. And now all the clubs are crying about losing players to the African thing in January. Well bugger them I say. Absolutely no sympathy for any of them, including my own club who will be severley hurt by the loss of Toure. You know the thing comes around in January so if you don't like it, then don't sign Africans. Produce your own instead. Simple solution. Serves you right for filling your team with Africans. Portsmouth are pretty much f**ked in January.

Anyway, we did not deserve to qualify and quite rightl didn't. The main thing is now Mclaren is gone and the board have an opportunity to pick someone new. The right man this time. Someone with fresh ideas who is going to play with a bit more ambition. Someone not afraid to make big changes when they are needed rather than out of desparation when it's too late. No more of this 1 man up front on his own, long ball and hope to nick a 1-0 bulls**t.  You just know they are going to cock it up though. The worst thing about this result is not necessairly missing out on Euro 2008, but what it does for future seedings etc. We might have just screwed ourselves for a long time to come as we will no doubt be in a World Cup qualifying group with Germany now.

Apologies for the length of that, it just all poured out with frustration and annoyance having just watched the game. Don't expect anyone will read it in it's entirety and it's probably mostly crap anyway.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 22, 2007, 09:16 AM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #867 on: November 22, 2007, 07:55 AM »

shocking That has got to be the longest post ever Alex.

McLaren should have stuck with Robinson in goal instead of Carson. It was just too big a game for him. no

Though Scotland finished with more points than England. roflmao  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #868 on: November 22, 2007, 08:21 AM »

Why the hell not? Please, please give me some positives...

Wake up call to the FA to limit the number of foreign players being brought in to play in predominately English teams!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #869 on: November 22, 2007, 09:16 AM »

The above 2 posts are pretty much my effort condensed into a few lines! lol
Carson should have been picked earlier on in the campaign. There should not have been a goalkeeping change for this game, especially not to bring in a relatively inexperienced young guy who barring a meaningless friendly on Friday had not played an international before. Like I said, Mclaren hung him out to dry.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »