Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 Go Down Reply
Author

EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION

(Read 25722 times)
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #870 on: November 22, 2007, 09:27 AM »

I'm not so sure you guys are right about the cause being the foreign players. At the end of the day, talent always rises to the top, and however many foreign players there are, anyone worthy of being in the England team should be able to get into the starting 11 of a prem football team.
There is only one position where i think you may be right, and thats in goal - there i agree its extremely difficult for even a good goalkeeper to make it, since you can only have one first team keeper, and they hardly get injured (at least, compared to outfield players). For example, in my club Newcastle, if not for Shay Given i think Steve Harper would be number 1, and i could have seen him being, with some more experience, international quality. I'm not saying he definitely would be, but he could've. Now we'll never know...
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #871 on: November 22, 2007, 09:29 AM »

The Football Association is expected to announce at 0945 GMT that England manager Steve McClaren has been sacked.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #872 on: November 22, 2007, 09:30 AM »

Basically, what i mean is that England would use, lets say 35 players in any generation. And, i think even with the current situation, the best 35 players will get through, because even with a huge amount of foreign players, you'll always have more that amount of top english players
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #873 on: November 22, 2007, 09:34 AM »

What I'm saying is that many young English players just don't get the opportunity to develop at the bigger clubs. They end up playing at Sc**thorpe, or just end up on the streets instead. When the foreigner is absolutely world class, like the Henrys, Bergkamps, Schmeichels, Ronaldos etc, that's fair enough. But what I have a problem with is clubs buying Flaminis and Cygans and Djemba-Djembas (so good they named him twice!) and Yobos or Dong Fang Zong Wongs (or whatever his name is) to sell shirts in China etc rather than producing their own. There are too many 4th rate mediocre foreign players taking up all the spots in the teams.

Edit: Lol at the censoring of sc unthorpe. roflmao
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 22, 2007, 09:37 AM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #874 on: November 22, 2007, 10:08 AM »

You're right, those third-raters are keeping out english players of a similar quality, but i'm telling you noone of that calibre would ever ever develop into an England player. I would only have a problem if the academies which develop players from a much younger age were taking too many foreigners, and, thank god, that is not a problem yet.
IP Logged
joanne
Satellite Level

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #875 on: November 22, 2007, 10:31 AM »

England most definately deserved to lose last night.  The difference between the English and Croatian teams was their drive and determination.  They did not even have to win but from the first minute to the whistle Croatia were on every ball we are lucky the score was only 3-2.  This is the difference between English sportsman and many other countries we only seem to do the minumum, we went in saying we only need a draw instead of thinking we have to win this to salvage pride in our country we should play all matches to win.  
Once Crouch scored the second goal England pulled way back on the gas.  This problem in endemic across many of our sports.

We are slowly breeding competiveness out of our children what will the next generation of sportsmen be like I shudder to think.  My daughters sports day consists of races where no one is declared the winner and they are told winning is not what matters but taking part.  If our schools and sports authorities do not do something soon there will be no good sportmen in this country by time my 7 year old daughter grows up.

[ Last edit by joanne November 22, 2007, 10:51 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #876 on: November 22, 2007, 10:43 AM »

Well said. It's always been an English attitude to say "let's not lose" rather than "let's win." In playing 1 man up front and leaving out Beckham, Mclaren played for a 0-0. When it all went wrong, he brought on his attacking options, got back to 2-2 and instead of kicking on and winning it, he reverted to "play for 2-2."

They sometimes do similar things in school sports here. "Participation" and "just have fun" and don't keep score and all this ********. What's the point IMO? I mean, you win, that's why you play surely?
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #877 on: November 22, 2007, 10:45 AM »

McLaren and Venebles oot!   Fabio Capello's hat in the ring! shocking
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #878 on: November 22, 2007, 10:48 AM »

Wow this is turning into a novel and I still haven't said what I actually wanted to say. lol
This game pointed out 2 important things for me.

I just came out of class, read this and read 'this is the turning point in the novel' Too much English on the brain!
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #879 on: November 22, 2007, 11:55 AM »

Mourinho already England manager!....   w00t w00t

via: The Register
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #880 on: November 22, 2007, 12:54 PM »

Will be interesting to see if Mourinho can flourish in international management, if he does go for the job.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #881 on: November 22, 2007, 01:06 PM »

I saw some betting companies have already suspended betting on Mourinho!
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #882 on: November 22, 2007, 04:19 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ENGLAND SUCK! lmao

The pub I was in went wild when Croatia scored that beauty of a 3rd goal! ******* BRILLIANT!  clap
[ Last edit by nkp2 November 22, 2007, 04:21 PM ] IP Logged
bestofbarry
Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #883 on: November 22, 2007, 04:56 PM »

end of the day your nation is out as well, not really something to celebrate
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #884 on: November 22, 2007, 04:56 PM »

Exactly clap  We all suck cmon yeah
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 Go Up Reply