Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 Go Down Reply
Author

EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION

(Read 26077 times)
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #900 on: November 22, 2007, 09:40 PM »

Iain, why are you so against McClaran taking the money, wouldn't you take it if it was offered to you, come on. Especially since he did the job to the best of his ability, which unfortunately, was not good enough. I don't blame him, i blame the FA for hiring him.

Secondly, i don't agree about this technical ability thing. Why do you only ever here about it when England play, and not when they play for their clubs. Noone says about steven gerrard, for example, that he's lacking technical ability when he plays for liverpool. In fact, Roy Keane came out today and said that as well... The reason for last night was just that England played crap. Finished.

Thirdly, please don't say the English league is so rubbish when so obviously most people around the world watch it, more then any other league. I can understand your opinion that you prefer the style of play of other leagues, but that doesn't mean there is nothing in the english style. Just see how many foreign players say that a future goal of theirs is to come and play in the premier league!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #901 on: November 22, 2007, 10:25 PM »

Iain, why are you so against McClaran taking the money, wouldn't you take it if it was offered to you, come on. Especially since he did the job to the best of his ability, which unfortunately, was not good enough. I don't blame him, i blame the FA for hiring him.
Absolutely agree although I wish he wouldn't lie to the press when asked about why he didn't resign. He'd probably get so much more respect if he admitted that his reluctance to resign was for financial reasons.

Thirdly, please don't say the English league is so rubbish when so obviously most people around the world watch it, more then any other league. I can understand your opinion that you prefer the style of play of other leagues, but that doesn't mean there is nothing in the english style. Just see how many foreign players say that a future goal of theirs is to come and play in the premier league!
I barely know anything about football but I do know you're right about that.
[ Last edit by Mark November 22, 2007, 10:25 PM ] IP Logged
Iain
Futures Level

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #902 on: November 23, 2007, 02:42 AM »

Er, duh!!  Just because a lot of people watch and enjoy something doesn't mean it's technically any good. It means its exciting. In fact a lot of british pundits used to say they didnt enjoy watching the Italian league because their defensive style was boring. But at both international and europeanlevel this style has proven very successful, in fact the Italians have elevated it to an art form.

And a second duh!! Your last sentence, I mean please, why do you think they want to come to play in England. The weather? No, it's the dinero. That's the incentive.

The English style has proven ineffective at international level. (Look at England's recent record. It's no coincidence that the teams who play skilful football keep doing well in these competitions.) The kick and rush, long ball as opposed to conserving your energy and attacking in fast powerful spurts. Also if you can keep possession it means you're less tired when you have the chance to break.

And as to McClaren being in his right to take the money - er, ever heard of the word PRINCIPLES?

I genuinely hoped England would qualify. I was sorry when they didn't.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #903 on: November 23, 2007, 03:23 AM »

Think Re the footy - why did MacLaren think that he still had a job after England lost? confused

He didn't. But if he resigned he wouldn't have got his massive payout. And being sacked with 33 months left on your contract = £££££££££££££££££££££££££.
I'm with Iain though. If he had any dignity at all he would have stood up and said "sorry, I got it wrong and I'm standing down."

I'm not quite with Iain on his English football view though. Don't confuse the English premiership with the English national team, because unfortunately they are no longer the same thing. The national team - yes. Absolutely awful. Boring, no skill involved and all long ball and play to not lose tactics. This however is not the same thing as the English premiership. At least not if you watch Arsenal or Manchester United every week. Iain, you sound like you watch football from many different leagues and countries. Tell me seriously who on this planet is better to watch than Arsenal in top form. Yes you do get some sh*t stuff in the Premiership if you, but to be fair, every league has its Bolton, Sunderland and Derby County. Lot's of people all around the world watch the premiership and support Man Utd or Arsenal or even Chelsea or Liverpool because it's f**king good to watch. And what's great to see is there's more smaller clubs such as Man City, Blackburn, Portsmouth etc starting to have a go and play some really nice stuff too.

You say success at the highest level is the mark of how good you are and I certainly agree. The highest level in European football is the Champions League. Over the last few years there has regularly been at least 1 premiership side in the semi finals, and were there not 3 in last season's semis? There has been a premiership team in the last 3 finals too. And it would be a bit of a shock not to have 4 in the quarter finals. Yes, they consist mostly of foreign players, but they do hail from the English premiership which is what you say isn't much good. And that's not to mention recent success of some of the less fancied clubs like Spurs and Middlesborough in the UEFA Cup.

So yes, the English style is poor at international level. But this national team style is not always the same as the premiership style.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 23, 2007, 03:29 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #904 on: November 23, 2007, 04:43 AM »

He didn't. But if he resigned he wouldn't have got his massive payout. And being sacked with 33 months left on your contract = £££££££££££££££££££££££££.

Embarassed Sorry, didn't realise that, but why the f*ck have the FA burnt their fingers again with a big freaking payout to a loser manager? doh  Why couldn't they put in his contract - if England fail to qualify for Euro 08, then you lose your job and get nothing! - they are so stupid!

As for the number of foreign players in the Premiership - back to the same thing £££££££££££££££££££££££££ no
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #905 on: November 23, 2007, 04:58 AM »

clap Just read your entire post Alex Very Happy

David Seaman's name had been eluding me all day blush and a fellow Yorkshireman! How could I forget?

Anyhow, good post - as you get older (like me) you just get straight to the point lol -  and I sincerely hope that they (FA) get someone good for the job this time with a better contract clause that won't cost the FA/public millions!

IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #906 on: November 23, 2007, 10:41 AM »

Read idea in the who will be the manager thread. It will cost them bugger all, and the most common sense decisions that whatever muppet we get in charge never makes will actually be made!
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #907 on: November 23, 2007, 03:08 PM »

It was doomed from the start of the evening....  roflmao
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #908 on: November 23, 2007, 07:30 PM »

Read idea in the who will be the manager thread. It will cost them bugger all, and the most common sense decisions that whatever muppet we get in charge never makes will actually be made!

Duly read goodjob Very Happy
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #909 on: November 23, 2007, 07:48 PM »

Why Croatia won

roflmao
[ Last edit by Allan November 23, 2007, 08:34 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #910 on: November 23, 2007, 08:19 PM »

I thought this was going to take me to a new story but no, same story as this (just by the beeb) >>>>>>>>>

[ Last edit by Bevc November 23, 2007, 08:21 PM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #911 on: November 23, 2007, 08:32 PM »

I thought this was going to take me to a new story but no, same story as this (just by the beeb) >>>>>>>>>
doh doh Don't bother clicking on his link.  Rolling Eyes doh
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #912 on: November 23, 2007, 08:35 PM »

doh doh Don't bother clicking on his link.  Rolling Eyes doh

Crying or Very sad
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #913 on: November 23, 2007, 08:51 PM »

doh doh Don't bother clicking on his link.  Rolling Eyes doh

Very Happy has it been one of those days?

Crying or Very sad

There, there, you'll be fine hug Very Happy
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: EURO 2008 QUALIFICATION « Reply #914 on: November 23, 2007, 09:48 PM »

Cheers Bev...feeling better already.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »