Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Euro 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Euro 2012

(Read 3894 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Euro 2012 « on: May 25, 2012, 04:12 AM »

Must be that time again to begin a thread for the summer tournament.

If anyone is up for a Fantasy League I have created one on the usual site we've used in the past. Register here: http://en.euro2012fantasy.uefa.com/

Once you are in and have chosen a squad PM me for the code to join the league.

IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:06 AM »

Time to lose some money.

France to win (I've been talking them up for weeks, hope the egos are all gone and this young team can do the business)

Benzema top scorer, although RvP has a fair shout, as does Kerzhakov.

Italy not to make it out of their group?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:08 AM »

Odds on Benzema have plummeted. Schizen.

Russia to beat the Czechs tomorrow - £5er on.

France to win and Ribery top scorer (mental bet) - £5er on.

Kerzhakov top scorer - £2 on.
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17 AM »

I'm going for the host to beat Greece today with probably Lewandowski scoring.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:11 AM »

Rossija kicked butt  yay yay cmon yeah
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:06 AM »

Sounds like Downing is going to start ahead of Theo. Hodgson can't be serious can he surely? Looks to be the worst England team I've seen in my lifetime. Initially I felt confident we'd do as we usually do and scrape an ugly 1-0 win and a couple of bore draws, crawl out of the group and go down in the quarter final to one of the big sides. Given the side we're going to put out though I can't see us getting through the group. Be lucky to get a couple of points IMO. Leaving aside the Ferdinand issue (of course he should be in the 11), some of those Liverpool players are absolute pony. FFS - Jordan Henderson and Martin Kelly for instance are bog standard championship players at best. Way out of their depth even at their mid table premiership club. People like Micah Richards and Michael Carrick should be in the starting 11, let alone the squad. Andy Carroll you can understand as 3rd or 4th choice but someone like Grant Holt who actually scored goals this season should have probably been given a chance.

Probably the first time I've gone into one of these tournaments with absolutely zero hope or expectation. Which may be a good thing as I'd probably see anything better than 3rd in the group as being a reasonably tournament.

Anyway onto what's actually happened so far I watched both today's games. First was fairly dull although probably to be expected as, alongside us, Poland and Greece are probably the worst teams in the tournament. Felt sorry for Szcezsny but can't really argue with a red card for that. He knew it aswell as he pretty much walked off the field before the card was even given.

Russia surprised me. Didn't expect them to look that good and they could well be dangerous for some of the more fancied sides later in the tournament, as they were 4 years ago really. Arshavin was fantastic I felt, real shame he's not been able to produce that sort of form at club level for a couple of seasons. Still a big favourite of mine despite his poor Arsenal form. Didn't realise Milan Baros was still going. Haven't heard anything of him since he left the Premiership although a quick look tells me he's only 30 (same birthday as me actually but 5 years earlier), thought he was about that last time I watched him for some reason!

Looking forward to day 2. Could be 2 cracking games.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Kerzhakov is a profligate piece of ****.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 04:29 PM »

But yes, suitably impressed by the caviar munchers. Really dynamic going forward, lots of movement, Arshavin links it all together, looked like his old self at Zenit where he was undoubtedly the main man. They will top Group A with ease.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31 AM »

Sir Panda, you can tear that Kerzhakov for top scorer betting slip up right now.  He had more shanked shots than Federer on a bad day.  Pavlyuchenko will probably start the Poland game on Tuesday.

Joke decision to send off the Greek centre half for 2 yellow cards. 

IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 04:08 AM »

Great game between Spain and Italy this morning. Pity that C U Next Tuesday had to score to equalise but I think this game has further emphasised my belief that Spain will not go all the way this time. They just don't have a goal scorer in the absence of Villa. Torres once again came on and did his best pub footballer impression. Don't really get why Lllorente wasn't given an opportunity. Anyway Italy looked better than I had imagined and with the correct combination of players they could well go all the way. How fantastic is Pirlo? Also I f**king love Di Natale, can't understand why he's never been given more of a chance with Italy. Should certainly be leading the line in the next game.

As for Ireland, I didn't get to see that one (have to choose between the 2 games during the work week really!) but you'd have to say that's curtains for them. Personally I reckon the Dutch are out too as they're not going to beat Germany, which would be good from an Arsenal perspective as the Van Persie situation should then be sorted out either way with a bit of time left in the transfer window.

Starting to look forward to/get nervous about the England game in the morning. Perhaps the unprecendented low levels of expectation may spur the players on to prove everyone wrong. Then again if our midfield includes Downing, Parker, and Milner I dread to think of what Nasri and Ribery are going to do to us. Going to have to be a very Chelsea CL final type performance to get a result in this one.

Arshavin links it all together, looked like his old self at Zenit where he was undoubtedly the main man.

Was never in doubt for me. He's always been a playmaker. The one who drops deep, controls the play and links everything together. He's the one who creates and given his role in the Russian side that performance was nothing more than I expected from a truly top class, and still probably my favourite player. With us Wenger has always played him as a wide forward, the player who is supposed to run in behind the defence and get on the end of everything. He's not that player. I maintain my strong belief that if he had been given the number 10 Fabregas role this season, we'd have seen the player we saw the other day all season in the Premiership.

It's something that was also quite evident with Rosicky's good form late in the season when played in that similar number 10 role as opposed to on the wing or wide in a front 3. It's funny how players always tend to play their best football in their proper positions. Unfortunately, a concept that Wenger has too often not been able to realise.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 11, 2012, 05:38 AM ] IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55 AM »

Come on, Roy, you can't start Milner and Downing together. Chemberlain or Walcott deserve to start in front of one of them.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37 AM »

France v England should be exciting. Love that French front three of Benzema, Nasri and Ribery. England will do well to contain them tonight.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:26 PM »

Loads of scrappin' happenin'.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 03:53 PM »

Milner is vastly under-rated. Vital part of the England side and just another victim of being very versatile. He really needs to move away from Man City to prove once again how great he is. Liverpool and Chelsea have been linked.

On the wing he's less effective but it's his work rate that is so important. With anyone else on the right-wing Johnson would get torn a new arsehole. It's such a shame Walker got injured and I still can't get my head around why Richards is not in the team, but as it is we have to make do with a defender who still hasn't learnt the basic skill of positioning or how to mark.

We are clearly aiming to set out to be hard to beat and aim to nick a goal on the break, and whilst I like this tactic as little as the next guy, it's probably the best way to go considering the lack of any form of creativity (bar perhaps Young) in our side.

Downing I rate far, far less than Milner but he will play for the same reasons. Neither Walcott or Ox are particularly great footballers, although hopefully their pace will be useful late on.

Either way, not too hopeful of a result later or even getting out of this group tbh. Will go into this tournament with no expectations.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 03:59 PM »

Come on, Roy, you can't start Milner and Downing together. Chemberlain or Walcott deserve to start in front of one of them.
Milner and Downing are far better footballers than either of Ox or Walcott, and even though I'd prefer to see one of them play instead of Downing (who has been very average this season) it's clear what Roy's game plan is. Neither Walcott or Ox offer much defensively or as a unit, and are more pacey/flair players (without much flair..). Clearly the plan is to bring one/both of them late on to utilise their pace against tired defenders.

Don't see how either of them "deserve" to start either.. none of the wingers in the squad have had particularly amazing seasons, two of them barely playing and the other two fairly average, although Walcott did a bit better towards the end of the season. As I said above, Milner is a vital part of the England side due to Glen Johnson and his defensive skills, or lack of, and a very under-rated player who is judged for his performances out of position. He's not in there to take players on or cause full-backs problems, but for what he adds defensively, as a team player and his delivery. If we were going to aim to be more attacking then yes, Walcott and Ox would be expected to start, but we just don't have the quality to play that way.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »