Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Euro 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Euro 2012

(Read 3697 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 04:07 PM »

I can't support a team that contains John Terry. Hope Diarra snaps his leg in three places.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 04:08 PM »

Ox starts ahead of Downing then. Interesting, happy enough with that though. Surprised he's favoured over Walcott given Walcott's been ahead of him in the pecking order for Arsenal, but not disappointed.

SP are you English or Scottish?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 04:10 PM »

Scottish, but I honestly don't mind England. I really like Roy Hodgson, and I would love to see him confound the narrow-minded media who yearned for Redknapp to get the job. Have money on France but I still think they could progress even if defeated tonight.

But, I mean, John Terry. I would not feel a flicker of emotion if someone ended his career tonight.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 04:19 PM »

Fair enough, you're one of very few Scots I know who isn't completely against England!

I was happy with the Hodgson announcement, I don't rate Redknapp that highly tbh - sure he's probably the best/one of the best English managers at club level but he's a little over-rated and his main strength seems to be signing/selling players. Hodgson on the other hand has the international experience and has done very well wherever he's gone, bar Liverpool where he admittedly struggled but was barely given any time at all.

Agree about Terry as well, can't stand the c**t but unfortunately he's probably one of the best defenders we've got (although he has the turning speed of a tank). Such a shame Cahill got injured.

I can't see England winning, maybe scrape a 0-0/1-1 draw at best but I'm expecting a 0-1/0-2 defeat in all honesty. Being set up defensively can work when everyone plays well, but as shown by Ireland yesterday, a couple of individual errors can undo all of that. With France's attack I'll be amazed if they don't score at least one.

I hope Ribery plays on the right-wing, I'm confident Cole could handle him but he would tear Johnson a new arsehole if he's on the left. Will require Milner to be defending almost permanently to double up on him.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 05:11 PM »

England started ok but Ox has been wasteful so far. Such a shame Welbeck was a yard offside as well, as Ox was in acres of space in the middle. Since then it's become what we'd expect - France passing it around and England sitting back, Johnson looking suspect as usual with Ribery finding space with ease.

We're so wasteful when we get in their half. Welbeck offside, Ox giving it away, Lescott slipping, Young getting hacked down from behind to no avail.

Oh Milner. Open goal. We won't get a better chance than that.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter June 11, 2012, 05:44 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33 PM »

Get in. Very Happy

Now, how long will this last. Can't see England keeping a clean sheet, not with Johnson unable to mark Ribery whatsoever.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 05:43 PM »

Damn. Cracking finish from Nasri, Hart shouldn't be getting beaten at his near post though.

England are set up to be hard to beat but we're just not closing them down at all. France will score more yet if we continue to give Ribery so much time and space.

I'm going to change my prediction to 1-3 France.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 05:46 PM »

This referee is a bit ****.
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 05:56 PM »

Ox is ahead of Walcott bacause of Walcott being injured in the past month or two and cause Walcott can't play on the left wing, he has problems when trying to deliver the final ball with this right, not to mention his left foot. Ox is a decent footballer overall, you'll see in the next couple of seasons, has a nose for the fnal ball, can shoot, just a little too unexpirienced.

As for the game, England is standing a bit too deep. I'm ok with the tactics, but the players need to stand a bit tighter to the oponents. Ribery, Cabaye and Nasri are good shooters and can demage you severe if you give them the chance. Just need to be more aggressive in the defence to win the ball more offten, so the counter can be used.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 06:15 PM »

Ye I like Ox actually, started a bit poor and I don't think his final ball is great but very tricky on the ball, looks up a lot more than Walcott does.

Agreed. Parker and Gerrard both way too deep for the goal. I'm happy with England playing defensively, but we're just standing off them at the moment and giving them free reign everywhere outside our box (whereas France are closing us down all over the pitch). And Johnson is a liability.

Milner hasn't been great today, I will admit (typically after my post earlier). Looked a bit dodgy, particularly that pass-back. He is doing a good job helping out Johnson though and I reiterate - this is not his natural position.

This referee is a joke. Three clear fouls waved on, and has neglected to book Cabaye and Nasri despite a number of niggly fouls. That foul on Gerrard was clear-cut. The refereeing has been poor all tournament tbh - the opening game and the Ireland game also great examples.

....yet again no free-kick!? This referee seems incapable of blowing his whistle.

Only a matter of time before France score again IMO..
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 06:55 PM »

England can live with this draw. ind of expected, England is capable of getting a draw agains most sides in this tournament. The big question, in the next two games, is if the middlefield can create something and that is something they struggled in the past big time. I'm not quite happy with the transition from defence to ofence in this one, to be honest, hope it improves with Rooney in Youngs position. The second thing, I would like to see a bit more of croses in the box, Welbeck/Carrol  are tall guys, give it a try.

Agree about the ref being a joke, but nothing unusual when England is playing.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 08:39 PM »

Considering all my doom and gloom before and during the match I'm very satisfied with the draw. Part one done, now we need to get a result against Sweden and/or Ukraine, which will won't be easy games. Still don't fancy our chances of getting out of the groups.

Thought Welbeck played well, Ox looked ok on the ball. Johnson good going forward but again suspect positioning. Hart made a couple of good saves but looked a big dodgy on crosses, hopefully just first game jitters. Young was disappointing after doing so well in the previous few games.

The refereeing has been shocking all tournament, it really has. But the matches have been good, today's was probably a bit dull, similar to Germany/Portugal but I've enjoyed the rest of the matches.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 09:54 PM »

Good tournament so far. Amazed at how deep England were sitting in that last 10-15 minutes, but I suppose a draw was a strong result for them.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 09:59 PM »

^Yeah, should have been expected because they played Welbeck.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35 PM »

Reasonably satisfied with that result. That should be the toughest opponents in the group out of the way and a loss would have left us in big trouble. Probably a fair result I think. France were the better side but I'm not sure they threatened our goal all that much aside from the Diarra header and a couple of long range shots from Cabaye and Benzema. Would like to see us threaten a bit more though as I can't remember a single effort on goal other than the one we scored.

Felt we were very well organised defensively and Hodgson's favoured 2 walls of 4 or whatever he calls it seemed to be the right way to go given the players we have. Think we're going to struggle to win too many games as the attacking quality just isn't there but I don't think we'll be that easy for anybody to beat either. Chamberlain was encouraging I thought. Did a few nice things although it didn't fully work out for him. I'm not sure he's ready to be starting these games - possibly more someone to bring on to run at tired defenders and cause havoc in the last 20 minutes. But when your alternative is Downing, he has to start really.

Walcott should clearly be starting ahead of Milner who is probably the most pointless player I've ever seen play for England. I mean, what is the point of him? Sure he's a solid player who is never really going to screw you over, but he doesn't provide anything in an attacking sense or in a defensive sense. Essentially, he's just there.

Out of interest Hatter, what to you does consitute an "amazing" season? Theo's was not amazing by any sense of the word, but he scored 11 goals and set up 13. He either scored or assisted considerably more goals than any other winger in the league. He will create chances and now we've got that point, we need to win the next game and he is the the most likely player we have to create the chances we'll need to do that. Milner for me is more the guy you bring on for Walcott to shore things up in midfield when your 1-0 up with 10-15 minutes to go.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »