Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Euro 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Euro 2012

(Read 4060 times)
what
Challenger Level

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #75 on: June 16, 2012, 12:06 PM »

Milner is physically stronger. Johnson and Walcott got beaten last night by Ibrahimovic and Olsson 1 on 2. Johnson srugles with pace and Walcott with his strength, but that are just my opinions.  In a formation with 3 man in the central middlefield, there would be place that one of them helps the right back, so walcott would have much more space on the wing. On the other hand, Walcott can play a striker too.
Maybe to start with something like this against the Ukraine:
GK Hart
CD Terry Lescott
RB Johnson
LB Cole
DMF Gerrard Parker/Milner
AM Rooney
RW Walcott
LW Young
ST Welbeck
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #76 on: June 16, 2012, 11:29 PM »

Caz said:

"I believe a goalie got killed by a kick in the head........many years ago! Think his name may have been Thompson or Thomson. Not sure."

His name was John Thompson and he was Celtic and Scotland's goalkeeper in the early 30s. His death was part of the Celtic/Rangers mythology when I grew up in Glasgow in the 50s. --  Celtic supports actually had a song about it. He died in September, 1931 after a game against Rangers when he dived at the feet of a Rangers player -- Sam English -- and his head collided with English' knee and he was stretchered immediately to hospital where he died that night. He was 22.

There's a bio. here -- with picture of the accident -- for anyone that's interested.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/CELTICthomson.htm
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #77 on: June 17, 2012, 12:09 AM »

Robbed!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #78 on: June 17, 2012, 02:09 AM »

Hope Greece get kicked out of the Eurozone for that, all of my betting money gone.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #79 on: June 17, 2012, 03:57 AM »

Caz said:

"I believe a goalie got killed by a kick in the head........many years ago! Think his name may have been Thompson or Thomson. Not sure."

His name was John Thompson and he was Celtic and Scotland's goalkeeper in the early 30s. His death was part of the Celtic/Rangers mythology when I grew up in Glasgow in the 50s. --  Celtic supports actually had a song about it. He died in September, 1931 after a game against Rangers when he dived at the feet of a Rangers player -- Sam English -- and his head collided with English' knee and he was stretchered immediately to hospital where he died that night. He was 22.

There's a bio. here -- with picture of the accident -- for anyone that's interested.

Sad but interesting - 30,000 at his funeral blink
[ Last edit by Bevc June 17, 2012, 04:00 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #80 on: June 17, 2012, 06:12 AM »

F**king hell. You wouldn't have thought you'd go out after winning the first game 4-1 and the other side would go through. Really thought Russia were going to be dangerous in the latter stages of the tournament.

It's all a familiar story though as Germany get out of the group and get the easiest possible knockout route to the final.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #81 on: June 17, 2012, 05:03 PM »

FOOTBALL!

I'm excited. Both flatmates are out for the evening, Portugal v Netherlands with a crate of Tuborg. Hope it's a cracker, unlike their 2006 encounter.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #82 on: June 17, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Roy's a fool if Theo doesn't start from now. You can't play on the break with Milner on the wing FFS. Come to think of it, Young has been pretty ordinary in both games so far too.

Front 4 against Ukraine surely has to be:
--------------Welbeck
Young------Rooney-------Theo

Parker has been fairly woeful for me although he's not supposed to be fully fit. I do wonder whether we might be better with Milner in the middle instead. A defensive midfield role seems to suit him more than out wide.

Although i subscribe to the view that Milner is very much cack out there, isn't Walcott better suited to the role of an impact sub, coming on to scare the crap out of tiring defences?

If only Gerrard had buried that late volley, we'd be top of the group right now!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #83 on: June 17, 2012, 09:25 PM »

0 points for Holland?! It was the Group of Death, but staggered at how poor they've been.

Ronaldo's pace on the counter is devastating.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #84 on: June 17, 2012, 09:41 PM »

Greece v Germany in the quarter-finals.

If Greece win, do you think Merkel will stop bailing out the Greek economy?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #85 on: June 17, 2012, 10:22 PM »

Although i subscribe to the view that Milner is very much cack out there, isn't Walcott better suited to the role of an impact sub, coming on to scare the crap out of tiring defences?

No, for me that's Chamberlain. Given there is no creativity at all in the midfield, Walcott is the guy who causes danger from the start. Perhaps if your leading with 20 minutes to go and holding onto a lead you don't need that impact sub to try and desparately produce things in a hurry. For me that's the time you bring on Milner.

We'd also be top if Gerrard had left that volley for Chamberlain as it was falling straight onto his right foot for a tap in.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #86 on: June 18, 2012, 07:34 AM »

Caz said:

His name was John Thompson and he was Celtic and Scotland's goalkeeper in the early 30s. His death was part of the Celtic/Rangers mythology when I grew up in Glasgow in the 50s. --  Celtic supports actually had a song about it. He died in September, 1931 after a game against Rangers when he dived at the feet of a Rangers player -- Sam English -- and his head collided with English' knee and he was stretchered immediately to hospital where he died that night. He was 22.

Thanks for that Tom! It was a very interesting [if sad] read.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #87 on: June 18, 2012, 10:15 PM »

Indeed very sad. As goalkeeper myself, the pictures of that incident show exactly why you go in side on rather than head first. As well as safety, you cover more of the goal if you're body's horizontal.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #88 on: June 19, 2012, 07:21 AM »

Yes.......I don't think he ever thought 'safety' though Alex, which is probably why he was one of 'maybe even the best' goalie ever! He paid a helluva price for it though!
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Euro 2012 « Reply #89 on: June 19, 2012, 10:54 PM »

Nothing spectacular, but a win is a win. The next oponent is Italy, should be tight.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »