Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  FAO All British sports fans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Reply
Author

FAO All British sports fans

(Read 5386 times)
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 01:14 AM »

he's what? 6' 1"? i'll be there by next july... at the latest...
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

We have unlimited juice?This party is off the hook

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 01:16 AM »

he's what? 6' 1"? i'll be there by next july... at the latest...

I dont just mean in height!!  Wink
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 01:17 AM »

okay... my serve is probably nearly as fast, my ground strokes are utterly dissimilar... but the guns are close... oh so very close... Wink

don't i wish
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 01:20 AM »

okay... my serve is probably nearly as fast, my ground strokes are utterly dissimilar... but the guns are close... oh so very close... Wink

don't i wish

lying *******!! roflmao

hey ive got a dirty maths joke for u....

whats the square root of 69?
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 01:22 AM »

oooo i think i'm gonna like the answer to this one...

i dunno... what?
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 01:24 AM »

8 something Wink
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 01:25 AM »

psssssssssst! empty some of your inbox....
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 01:26 AM »

ok u can do it now petal Wink
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 03:03 AM »

Q1:19 Cardiff / Oxford (Holidays / term time)
Q2: Alas not any more, but I go to the gym! (At school I used to play hockey and netball plus a big bit of Sportshall athletics and a tiny bit of track and field and I did ballet outside.)
Q3: How did you come to practise this particular sport? (School clubs)
Q4: Who do you play with? (School clubs)
Q5: How often do you practise?
Q6: Why do you play sport?
To keep me fit! (Damn you university and your killing of my fitness. Yey for the free gym at Princeton yay)
Q7: Gym does. All the sports I used to play at school were free, but swimming and ballet I had to pay for.
Q8: I have neither, but if I did then I would!
Q9: Yes, a fair amount (on terrestrial). I watch a fair bit of it when I'm home - tennis, cricket, eventing, athletics, swimming, rugby, football Smile
Q10: What could you tell me about sport (in general) in Great Britain? (Do a lot of people play sport? Do you think there are more young people who play sport? etc.)
A fair few people do sport, especially up to the age of about 14, but then it seems that either you have to be county level or there's less outlets for participation. I think that major sporting events and sports stars have a powerful influence over the popularity of certain sports and that the 2012 Olympics will be hugely beneficial in encouraging people to work hard at their sports or take up new disciplines.
Q11: In your opinion, what does sport bring you?
A sense of teamwork, a sense of ability, a challenge and a competitive will to do better.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 08:23 AM »

Q1: I am 16 years old and I live in Scotland.
Q2: Yes, I play golf, tennis, football, badminton and the occasional game of American football
Q3: I'll choose tennis for this question- I watched Wimbledon 2001 (every game) and then I just bought a racket and started to play.
Q4: Mostly friends, although me and my dad have a competitive rivalry.
Q5: Probably three times a week if the weather is normal.
Q6: To keep me active, and to keep me sharp.
Q7: No, not really.
Q8: Siblings, yes. Children, I will definitely encourage them.
Q9: Not as much tennis as I would like, but football and rugby has good coverage.
Q10: We don't have the same level of facilties as the USA, but with the Olympics coming up then all that could change.
Q11: A way to relax, unwind and have fun.

Ganou, hope that helps you. Smile

Bonne chance!
IP Logged
bestofbarry
Seed

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 09:41 AM »

Q1: How old are you and where do you live?

18 (in 8 days!) Near Portsmouth, England

Q2: Do you play sport, and if yes, which sport do you play?

I play tennis and football

Q3: How did you come to practise this particular sport?

Football: My dad put me into a team when i was 8 and continued from there.
  Tennis: I watched Wimbledon one year and jumped on the bandwagon!

Q4: Who do you play with?

Football: My local team Crofton Saints, my college first team, and my mates.
  Tennis: Mostly with my mate called jo.

Q5: How often do you practise?

Football: Twice a week.
  Tennis: Five times a week.

Q6: Why do you play sport?

I love the buzz you get from competing. It helps keep you in good shape and mentally you feel good after it.

Q7: Does playing sport cost you a lot?

Not particularly. Football is about £5 a week. Tennis is £10 a month. (excluding travel)

Q8: If you have children or siblings, do you encourage them to play sport?

I have 2 brothers and 1 sister. My eldest younger brother plays football, badminton and tennis. My sister plays netball and my youngest brother is an actor!
 I definitely encourage them to play sport.

Q9: Is there a lot of sport broadcast on TV and do you watch it?

Yeah i think so. There is definitely enough footy that i watch. Tennis could have better coverage, but i do watch whenever its on

Q10: What could you tell me about sport (in general) in Great Britain? (Do a lot of people play sport? Do you think there are more young people who play sport? etc.)

From my experience theres loads of people who play sport. My local tennis club is always packed out and like wise with the recreation park.

Q11: In your opinion, what does sport bring you?

Joy, fun, competition.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 11:42 AM »

I'll answer it. I currently live in New Zealand, but am originally from London.

1. I'm 19 (20 in a few weeks), male, born in London but currently live in New Zealand
2. Football in winter, tennis in summer
3. Football - because I have been a football fan, and in particular an Arsenal fan my whole life and I wanted to play aswell so I started playing for a club. Tennis - because I didn't play any sport in the summer and I like watching tennis, so joined my local club a few years ago.
4. Football - play in a team at my local club so we have practices, and then matches against other clubs in the weekend. Tennis - interclub matches on Saturdays, I got to a social club night in the week and play with other club members, and I have a key so also sometimes just go and play with a friend if I can find someone who wants to play.
5. Football - 1 or 2 training sessions per week with the team, Tennis - 1 club night per week, and it varies how many other times I go in a week, sometimes maybe another couple of times, sometimes when busy with uni work I won't go again.
6. Basically, because I love it. It's fun, good way to make new friends and gives me something to look forward to during the week. When I enjoy watching a sport, I just have to get out there and try playing it.
7. Not really. Perhaps a new pair of football boots every couple of years, new pair of gloves (I play in goal) every season, club membership. Not really a lot overall.
8. My brother doesn't need any encouragement, he's a keen sportsman without me doing anything. If I was to have a child one day, I would definitely love to get them playing football and perhaps get involved with the team myself.
9. A lot. I watch football mainly, but also tennis, cricket, rugby (only international matches) and golf (mainly just the majors and Ryder Cup).
10. Don't know a lot about the situation in Britain at the moment, although I think there is a lack of playing fields in many areas, in particular schools don't have a great amount of sports facilities, which means less kids are playing sports than there could be. Here in NZ, most kids play some kind of sport. It's highly encouraged at schools and there are vast areas for playing. Although there's a heck of a load of politics once you get to high levels, it's highly participation based here. You don't have to be rich or of a certain class to play, you can just pay to join a club and you are in. I know my Dad used to play tennis before I was born and when he tried to join a club in London they made him play a trial match and wouldn't let him join becuase he wasn't top class. Here, I went to my local club where nobody knew me, paid to join and I was in, got my own key to the courts and they even made me a captain of one of the interclub teams.
11. Aside from happiness if I win, annoyance if I lose, it brings me a sense of escapism. During a football or tennis match, I just escape from everything and don't think about anything else. So perhaps if I'm having a particularly good time in other parts of life, I can just get away from it all playing sport.

Hope some of that is useful to you.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 14, 2006, 11:47 AM ] IP Logged
Ganou
Veteran

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 12:09 PM »

Wow  yay You guys are awesome!!!!

Thanks a lot for the help, that's really really appreciated  hug
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

Re: FAO All British sports fans « Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 01:44 PM »