Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Fastest Man on No Legs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Fastest Man on No Legs

(Read 834 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Fastest Man on No Legs « on: June 25, 2007, 04:35 AM »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article1497140.ece

Anyone heard about him?
There was a bit about him on the news here yesterday which has got me researching. Had both legs amputated when he was 11 months old. Now he's a sprinter, using prosthetics and he is so fast that he has run times that would have won gold in the women's 100m, 200m and 400m at the 2004 Athens Olympics. And he has no legs!
Now he wants to compete in the Beijing Olympics next year. He was previously banned from doing so but they are now researching as to whether his prosthetic legs give gim any advantage in terms of a longer stride or more spring etc.

So what do you think?
Personally I don't think he should be allowed to compete in the able-bodie olympics, regardless of how good he is. He seems to be an amazing athlete and person but if you let him in, then where does it stop? Before long women will be demanding to compete in the men's races, and perhaps able-bodied people might see no reason why they can't compete in the Paralympics.
Thoughts?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Fastest Man on No Legs « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:16 AM »

I must have seen the same news item as you - amazing man/athlete but don't know Think  I think he just wants to be treated same as other people - it's hard for me to see it from his perspective since I'm not disabled and however hard I try, I don't really think that I could imagine how it would be in 'his shoes', so to speak.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: Fastest Man on No Legs « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:05 PM »

I agree Alex, he should'nt be allowed to compete. Is there an alternative race in the para-olympics he could do?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Fastest Man on No Legs « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:12 PM »

Not sure. It's a tough one because he is too good for the paralympics. He's even faster that the able-bodied women.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: Fastest Man on No Legs « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 01:15 PM »

Hmmm, I see. Well really even if he is too good, then he should still have to compete at that level.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Fastest Man on No Legs « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 01:22 PM »

Yeah. I understand why he wants to be, for lack of a better way to put it, treated as a "normal person." But like I said, if he's is allowed to compete, then they set a precedent and they have to let any disabled person compete in able-bodied races if they want to. And then you will get things like women wanting to compete in men's races etc, so where does it end?
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 25, 2007, 01:35 PM ] IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: Fastest Man on No Legs « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 01:25 PM »

I agree!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Fastest Man on No Legs « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 01:36 PM »

Anyway the movie about his life that Tom Hanks wants to do would be interesting. Especially if he was ultimately allowed to compete in Beijing.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Fastest Man on No Legs « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 12:34 PM »

Well women have no chance in men's races, that's why there are seperate races for them, and at the end of the day, no paralymipian has ever been faster than a regular runner. So providing his 'legs' don't give him an unfair advantage, but react more or less like a real leg, I think he should be allowed to compete. At the end of the day, you still have to be fit, and you still have to move your legs as quickly as anyone else in order to beat them. But we'll see.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »