Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  League considers scrapping draws 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: League considers scrapping draws  (Read 1224 times)
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

League considers scrapping draws « on: March 14, 2007, 09:45 PM »

The Football League board is to consider a proposal to scrap draws and decide matches by penalty shoot-outs, BBC Five Live understands.
The idea will be discussed by Football League chairmen and chief executives at a board meeting on Thursday.

No timescale has been given for implementing the change if the chairmen go ahead with the proposal.

I like the idea of penalty shootouts.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:36 PM »

Stupid idea in my opinion! Everyone whinges when England get knocked out on penalties, and now they want them in league games. Stupid!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:38 PM »

I don't like it either. Absolutely no reason to change it at all. Penalty shootouts are just a lottery and never are a fair reflection on the match.
IP Logged
Spud
Futures Level

Copywight 1994 Elmer Fudd. All wights wesewved

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:45 PM »

Pants idea. On one hand it wouldl probably create more open, entertaining football, on the other it would probably limit the amount of upsets we see week in week out in lower league football.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:22 AM »

Terrible idea, and it will never get through.

Although, if our players were getting used to penalty shootouts every other week, perhaps we wouldn't be so pathetic at them when we inevitably have one in the next World Cup quarter final. Then again, we'll still be pants at it and only the German (Hargreaves) will manage to find the net.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 11:21 AM »

This is the stupidest idea I've heard in the history of football. Are they completely nuts?
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 11:28 AM »

I like penalty's. But I agree. It wont get any farther than this league.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 11:36 AM »

They do it in Asia. Ridiculous idea though, why can't you have draws?
Ugh, most games these are already ruined by teams going away to "bigger" teams and playing for a 0-0. Imagine if they had the chance of penalties to steal a win instead of just settling for a point!
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 01:38 PM »

I don't like the idea... Even I, who hasn't watched much football; it's a really stupid idea... Draws make the league table more interesting I think...
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 07:23 PM »

The problem with this is you will end up with two teams of 11 defenders who practice penalties, why risk open play when you can hang on for penalties against a more skillful team.
For this to work you would need to get more points for a conventional win than a penalty shoot out win.

If it is not broke don't fix it, crap idea Frown
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:19 AM »

Exactly. Being an Arsenal fan, I'm used to coming up against teams who play like that week in week out. When they have penalties to play for, it will be even worse.
If making the game more interesting is the objective, then personally I think they should reward victories more highly. Give an extra point or 2 for a win, perhaps make a win 4 points, or even 5 and keep draws at 1. I think that will make less and less teams content to play for 0-0. I've never quite understood the tactic of playing for a draw (don't confuse this with being happy with a draw after the match, depending on how the game goes a draw can be a good result. I just don't understand why you would start the game with the intention of coming away with 1 point when you could aim for 3). Personally, I feel if you are not playing to win, then why have you bothered to turn up? But maybe that's just me. Penalties will make this worse.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 March 16, 2007, 12:22 AM ] IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 10:40 AM »

Apparently the penalties would just put an extra point up for grabs so a win would still be the main objective. i.e 3 points for a win, draw and both teams get one point but the winner of penalties gets 2, lose nothing. Still a stupid idea if you ask me!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 10:47 AM »

Ridiculous idea whatever the points allocation is. If they want a more entertaining game it's quite simple as I said in my last post. Make the differential between winning and drawing larger. Increase the reward for victories (or conversely, don't reward for draws, although that would not be quite right), and more teams will play for them, and hence games have a good chance of becoming more interesting.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 11:44 PM »

Ridiculous idea whatever the points allocation is. If they want a more entertaining game it's quite simple as I said in my last post. Make the differential between winning and drawing larger. Increase the reward for victories (or conversely, don't reward for draws, although that would not be quite right), and more teams will play for them, and hence games have a good chance of becoming more interesting.

The additional points differential for will not make a blind bit of difference, teams at the bottom of the league playing teams at the top will always play for a draw and hope to sneak a late goal for a win.

I heard all the same arguments when three points for a win was introduced and you have the same (with the addition of Chelsea) haves lording it over the have nots, money will provide a better squad and better squads win more games which in turns to leads titles.

The amount of points on offer will not change the strategies teams adopted, only strength of squad and opposition to be faced will.

As for not rewarding a draw this would still make no difference when a team meets one in a higher position as the gap would not increase giving essentially the same out come, and effectively diminishing the penalty for a loss.

IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 12:36 AM »

Fair argument. I'm not saying I want the points to be changed, just that it would be better than introducing penalties, IF making the game more interesting is what they want.
However, I still feel 5 points for a win and 1 for a draw would make playing for a win more attractive.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »