Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  League considers scrapping draws 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

League considers scrapping draws

(Read 1384 times)
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 01:38 AM »

So you are saying that at team at the bottom of the league would throw caution to the wind and play attacking football and go for a win when playing the league leaders if 5 points are on offer?

It does not matter how many points you get for a win, the team at the bottom would play in a manner that would have a better chance of securing any points (a draw).

All it would do is make the gap between the 2/3 top teams and the rest of the league greater and lessen the chance of competition for European places and secure relegation at the bottom sooner giving more meaningless games.

[ Last edit by AL1874 March 17, 2007, 01:43 AM ] IP Logged
Lionheart
Satellite Level

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 01:43 AM »

Getting rid of draws is a stupid idea.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 03:52 AM »

So you are saying that at team at the bottom of the league would throw caution to the wind and play attacking football and go for a win when playing the league leaders if 5 points are on offer?

It does not matter how many points you get for a win, the team at the bottom would play in a manner that would have a better chance of securing any points (a draw).

All it would do is make the gap between the 2/3 top teams and the rest of the league greater and lessen the chance of competition for European places and secure relegation at the bottom sooner giving more meaningless games.

Not at all. Not "throw caution to the wind"  as such, but they might be inclined to at least cross the halfway line on the odd occasion and perhaps even include speculative shots at goal, and ventures into the final 3rd in their game plan. I just get perplexed by this "let's not lose" over "let's win" belief. I don't care if you are Sunderland against Man Utd at Old Trafford or a team going for the title, if you want to belong in the premiership then you should absolutely never be happy with not winning. I could never ever play any game in any sport with my sole ambition being to not lose. If it was, then I wouldn't bother to turn up, at least I wouldn't lose sitting at home. Maybe it's just me, but I could never consider a draw to be a point won, it's always 2 points dropped, regardless of who you are and who your opponents are. Even more so if you are a bottom club hoping to avoid relegation. You are not going to stay up with 0s and 1s all season.

But like I said, I have never said I want the points system to be changed. Only that IMO it would be a better change than introducing penalty shootouts. Fortunately however, neither idea will be implemented.
I don't know what the reasoning is for wanting to scrap draws and add penalties. But IMO if they want to change anything, they should look into how they can make playing more to win more attractive.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 March 17, 2007, 08:31 AM ] IP Logged
murrays_mint
Seed

MW Prediction & Fantasy League Champion 06/07

Re: League considers scrapping draws « Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 12:31 PM »

Is this the stupidest idea in the history of football? I know when Caley (and most other teams in Scotland) play at Parkhead or Ibrox, the tactic is usually 10 men behind the ball and hope for 0-0, this is partand parcel of the game, if that is the way they decide to play and get a draw, fair enough there tactics have deserved their point.

I understand what you are on about Alex with points changing being a better alternative, and like you said it won't happen (thank god for that) but i see no reason to change anything about football matches, apart from diving (which i feel should be a red card offence), as i am not one for goal line technology
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »