Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  London Olympics 2012: Other sports 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

London Olympics 2012: Other sports

(Read 7159 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #390 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39 AM »

Haven't posted much in here as due to time difference I'm recording a lot over night and in the morning then watching it all in the evening after work - so have been avoiding looking anything up to see results.

The Olympics and World Cups tend to take over my whole life when they are on and this time is no different. Saturday for me has to be not just the greatest day in the history of British Athletics, but British sport overall. Ennis was incredible and then a completel unexpected long jump win. I found that the most exciting as every time it came to the American or one of the others I assumed they would jump further, and they never did. Farrah's win will probably go down as the iconic moment of the games. For a British athlete to win the 10,000m over all the Africans is something you can't put into words. Even my Dad told me last night on the phone that he's been waiting his whole life to see a Brit win the 10,000m. Then of course there were cycling and rowing golds on the same day.

Didn't think anything ever would do this, but I think for me that day has even topped Arsenal winning the league unbeaten and England winning the Ashes in Australia.

It's not that important in the grand scheme of things, but how f**king incredible is the Sports Personality awards going to be this year? So many heroes. Wiggins with a Tour de France and gold medal within a couple of weeks of each other. Murray with a Wimbledon final and gold medal (and who knows in the US Open?). Kenny with 2 golds, Pendleton maybe the same, Hoy with yet another gold. Ainslie with a 4th consecutive gold medal. Ennis and Farrah etc.

Chris Evans (on Radio 2) has been talking about the SPOTY and we all know who's going to get the team one lol but who for individual?

Chris' radio coverage has been on every day during the olympics and it's been great - I yearn to be there and be part of it. Very Happy

Another 'golden' day at the olympics - well done everyone clap
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #391 on: August 07, 2012, 01:40 AM »

Shakes-Drayton out of the 400m hurdles final after the Czech's disqualification was rescinded..

Why was she disqualified in the first place? Think
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #392 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50 AM »

Why was she disqualified in the first place? Think
A "trailing leg infringement".
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #393 on: August 07, 2012, 03:52 AM »

Chris Evans (on Radio 2) has been talking about the SPOTY and we all know who's going to get the team one lol but who for individual?

Team GB as a whole? Too broad IMO. Not even sure I agreed with the overall GB cycling team winning it last time. To me a "team" in this sense is more the cycling pursuit teams or the rowing fours or pairs or a relay team.

More short term, who is an early pick to carry the flag at the closing ceremony? Given Hoy did the opening ceremony it should really be someone else. Think it will probably be Ennis as the golden girl of the games, or possibly Wiggins as the other massive star. I'd go with Ben Ainslie though. 4th consecutive gold. That equals Pinsent and approaches Redgrave.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 August 07, 2012, 03:57 AM ] IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #394 on: August 07, 2012, 12:07 PM »

Remember the badminton players that got disqualified the other day? Span's basketball team lost their last group game against Brazil on purpose yesterday, so they avoid USA until the finals. Wonder are they going to be penalized?! Probably not.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #395 on: August 07, 2012, 12:17 PM »

They mentioned this before the match, that both teams would want to lose to avoid the US. If it was blatant then you would imagine they would also face disqualification.
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #396 on: August 07, 2012, 12:54 PM »

Do you know who disqualified the badminton players. Was it the badminton head organisation(don't now the name) or the Olympic commitee?
The Spain national basketball team is to "big" to be disqualified, but this kind of behavior doesn't have room in sports.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #397 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52 PM »

Great finish to the men's Triathlon, after photo finish for the women!

From BBC live text
1318: TRIATHLON

What a man, what a hero and what a way to finish too. Alistair Brownlee accepts a Union Jack flag from the crowd and, tears gathering in his eyes, slows right down and walks slowly across the finish line.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #398 on: August 07, 2012, 05:51 PM »

This referee is a f**king disgrace. Just taken away Pendleton's chances of gold, AGAIN, after Meares elbowed her out of her lane, leading her to get DQ'd relegated (going 0-1 down instead of 1-0 down). And then loses 0-2, clearly affected by the decision.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter August 07, 2012, 06:18 PM ] IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #399 on: August 07, 2012, 06:03 PM »

That decision was sh** and had huge impact on the outcome of the finals.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #400 on: August 07, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Chris Hoy is a machine. Incredible that.

4 golds today. I'm absolutely gutted for Pendleton, she didn't deserve that, but at least she got gold in the Keirin. And still a silver in that sprint, lest we forget.

Oh and Laura Trott deserves a mention, dramatic victory for her. Needed to beat the American by 3 places in the final 2 lap time trial, and did - winning the time trial with a stunning effort whilst Hammer came 4th, giving Trott the gold by a single point. Double gold medallist at 20. Wow. She's going to do better than Pendleton, this lass.

Missed the outcome of the Triathlon (was following it on my phone though) but brilliant from Alistair Brownlee. Missed a chunk of the season with an achilles injury apparently, so to come back physically and mentally to win this. Wow. All of them who competed in that deserve huge credit tbf, amazing effort.

22 golds, we have now stormed past the Beijing tally today and will surpass the medal tally due to the guaranteed medals in the boxing (at least four) and sailing (guaranteed at least silver with one race to go).

In the Velodrome we have 7 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze from 10 events. We'd have had a medal in every single event if not for the DQ of Pendleton and Varnish in the first event.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter August 07, 2012, 06:22 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #401 on: August 07, 2012, 06:24 PM »

Chris Hoy : the best British olympian of all time!

What a career.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #402 on: August 07, 2012, 06:28 PM »

Chris Hoy : the best British olympian of all time!

What a career.
Truly amazing.

I wonder if Trott and Kenny can surpass him in the future? Trott has 2 golds at 20, Kenny has 3 golds at 24. Way too early to really think about that though.

Also another medal for New Zealand Bev - equal 3rd with a Dutch guy in the Keirin.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #403 on: August 07, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Sir Steve down trackside to congratulate Sir Chris.

Remarkable guy, still think 5 golds over 20 years is arguably more impressive.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #404 on: August 07, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Wow Hoy and Redgrave just wow cheers
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »