Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  London Olympics 2012: Other sports 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

London Olympics 2012: Other sports

(Read 7848 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #420 on: August 09, 2012, 10:35 PM »

the 19yo Jade Jones has just beaten the top seed in the taekwondo to make the final.
She's just won it!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #421 on: August 10, 2012, 01:58 AM »

Wow, what a day!  Lovely news to wake up to and watched the live text updates on Jade Jones' match - nail biting stuff!  clap
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #422 on: August 10, 2012, 06:58 AM »

Another amazing day cheers cheers
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #423 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45 AM »

What a day!  It is lovely to hear that some of you enjoyed probably my most loved sport next to tennis.  The dressage.  The relationship between horse and rider is phenomenal.

I myself had a relation beyond none with my arab gelding as he was an orphan whom I bottle fed.  We had a wonderful time especially in endurance, where the relationship is very important as you can spend the whole competition on your own, anything up to 10 hours.  One of my instructors said she had never seen such a relationship between horse and rider both on board and on the ground.  He used to whicker to me everytime I praised him.

Some many people I speak to think you literally sit on a horse and basically do very little.  The movements are so subtle that you cannot see the muscle work in both human and horse.  You use practically every muscle in your body.

Hopefully we can go on and win some more medals today and until the end of the Games.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #424 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35 AM »

I've never watched dressage before but I thought it was truly amazing.  How many hours of training must go into that and such empathy between the horse and rider - absolutely fabulous!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #425 on: August 11, 2012, 03:55 AM »

My eldest daughter and I watched the last 6 entries of the dressage last night (replay) and she was fascinated by the music and the routines the horses go through.  Having 2 horsey people at work, they had explained a lot how it all works and what skill the rider has to get the horses through those routines.  There's a call for horses to get something gold in their home town too and I think goodjob  They got the medal too!

Well done to our medal winners on Friday. clap  Pity the UK lost out to the antipodeans on the water though doh  I won't live that one down at work on Monday!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #426 on: August 11, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Phew, Tom Daley through to the finals of the diving. Last night was a little bit scary.

Judy has been tweeting from there this morning. Says "makes the tennis seem like a walk in the park".
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #427 on: August 11, 2012, 12:30 PM »

My eldest daughter and I watched the last 6 entries of the dressage last night (replay) and she was fascinated by the music and the routines the horses go through.  Having 2 horsey people at work, they had explained a lot how it all works and what skill the rider has to get the horses through those routines.  There's a call for horses to get something gold in their home town too and I think goodjob  They got the medal too!

Well done to our medal winners on Friday. clap  Pity the UK lost out to the antipodeans on the water though doh  I won't live that one down at work on Monday!
Just mention all the other 58 medals and 26 golds we have. Wink

Two more medals this morning sees us hit 59, so by tonight (with Campbell vs Nevin in the boxing final) we will have hit the 60 medal mark. Quite a feat. Now to see if we can squeeze out another two medals from somewhere (with another two guaranteed silvers in boxing to come) to hit the 64 mark which was, quite optimistically, predicted by the British Olympic team before the Olympics started.

Not really sure what other medal contenders we have though. Daley in the diving and one in the mountain bike race, but they could quite feasibly both not get anything.

Edit: Oh yes, forgot about Farah. Fingers crossed he can get something. He is the current 5000m world champion but not the favourite apparently..
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter August 11, 2012, 12:36 PM ] IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #428 on: August 11, 2012, 01:26 PM »

Fantastic performance by our GB athletes.  What a haul especially the huge number of Gold medals compared to Silver and Bronze.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #429 on: August 11, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Hi All,

I think our athletes have done incredibly well. I know there was all that talk about them being 'slow' to get the first gold, but I thought that was ridiculous, just the press being pathetic. I really do think the way the momentum has built across the team, in all the sports, has been brilliant, and they should all be very proud of themselves.

I think it has done the country good as well. The mood seems to have really lifted during the Olympics. Good to see.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #430 on: August 11, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Hi All,

I think our athletes have done incredibly well. I know there was all that talk about them being 'slow' to get the first gold, but I thought that was ridiculous, just the press being pathetic. I really do think the way the momentum has built across the team, in all the sports, has been brilliant, and they should all be very proud of themselves.

I think it has done the country good as well. The mood seems to have really lifted during the Olympics. Good to see.
I think it stemmed from the great opening ceremony and all the build-up and talk of beating our Beijing tally, then missing out on the first few medals where we really had some chances (Cavendish, Miley, etc) made some people a bit edgy. What if all our hopefuls succumbed to the pressure? What if our estimations had been too optimistic? What if we horribly under-achieved in our home games?

Thankfully we finally got one and then they started rolling in. The atmosphere has been incredible in most of the stadiums (the velodrome the best though, going by the tv and the comments of those who have been there... although being so dominant in it will have helped) and that seems to have spurred on most of our athletes, as well as the inspiration from all the others. The middle Saturday was incredible, I was so happy for Jess Ennis after all the pressure on her, and then followed up by an almost out-of-the blue gold in the Long Jump before Farah's amazing race.

It's been a great games (for GB at least!). I hope we can hold off Russia who are now soaring up the medal table, but we should be able to. I'm so happy that so many of our athletes were able to get a medal in our home games, it will be something they'll remember for the rest of their lives. I'm gutted for those that just missed out, but most of them seemed happy to be involved at all.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #431 on: August 11, 2012, 09:43 PM »

After 5 dives :

Tom Daley   : 466.20  
David Budia : 466.05
Qiu bo         : 466.05

0.15 points separate the top 3 with 1 dive to go !

They all average a mind boggling 90+ points per dive over 5 dives !  This is competition at the very highest level

Unfortunately, Tom's last dive difficulty is only 3.3 whereas his competitors' are on 3.6 so they will earn more points with the same performance score.  This means he will end up with bronze unless he nails a 9.5 or perfect 10.

Everyone is diving out of their skin.  Two are on 527+ points after 6 dives and they are nowhere near a medal position.  One guy dives with an injured shoulder and still nailed 92+ points, using ice bags afterwards to deaden the pain.

Tom did a great dive.  He is ecstatic.  He got two 9.0 and one 9.5 giving 90.75 points guaranteeing at least a bronze.

David Boudia (US) did a great dive. 3 x 9.5 points ==> 102.60 points !!!  568.65 for Gold unless the chinese diver gets the perfect 10

Qiubo also got a wonderful dive 2 x 9.5 and one 9.0 ==> 100.80 points losing to the gold medalist by 2 points for silver.  If the 3rd judge also gave him a 9.5 then he would have won the Gold. Such fine margin at the very top.

David Boudia  : 568.65
Qiu bo            : 566.85
Tom Daley      : 556.95 (first diving medal for GB since 1960)
4-6th              : 527.80, 527.70, 527.30

6 fantastic dives from all 3 competitors with all 3 exceeding 550 points.  Herculean efforts.

David Budia just made the SF yesterday at 18th position. Tom made the SF with 15th position so they both almost didn't qualify.

At Rio, Tom should adjust his routine to leave the 3.6 difficulty dive at the end.

They had a Chinese IOC official handing out the medals thinking that China had this competition sewn up.
[ Last edit by Philip August 11, 2012, 10:20 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #432 on: August 11, 2012, 10:47 PM »

They had a Chinese IOC official handing out the medals thinking that China had this competition sewn up.

I remember a similar situation with the Swiss.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #433 on: August 11, 2012, 10:49 PM »

Could Tom not have done a 3.6-tariff dive at the end? When he lined up with his 3.3, I knew he wasn't getting gold. Is there a limit on the number of high-tariff dives you can do?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #434 on: August 11, 2012, 11:00 PM »

They can do their nominated dives in whatever order they like but I don't think he could have substituted a higher tariff dive at the last minute without having pre-nominated it.

Great stuff Tom and still only 18 - well done!!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »