Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Reply
Author

Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

(Read 1568 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #75 on: July 26, 2014, 09:04 PM »

Wayne Gretzky - have deffo heard of him - ice hockey?

Excited for the games - was weird to be in America when they started, relied on family texts for updates. My wee home town got on the news thanks to a swiming gold! Have tickets for athletics Tues, Weds and gymnastics Thursday. Woo hoo!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #76 on: July 28, 2014, 04:55 AM »

Really enjoying the games so far but not sure about the medals. Don't really like the design leaving so many holes in them and I reckon they have saved a lot of money by using a lot less gold, silver and bronze than if the medals were solid.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #77 on: Today at 01:00 AM »

You really couldn't make it up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10995961/Commonwealth-Games-Scottie-dogs-disrespectful-to-Muslims.html

Commonwealth Games Scottie dogs 'disrespectful to Muslims'
Use of Scottish terrier dogs during Commonwealth Games opening ceremony 'shameful' and 'offensive', Malaysian politicians

Malaysian politicians and religious leaders have attacked the use of Scottie dogs during the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, claiming it was disrespectful to Muslims.

Around 40 Scottie dogs were used in the opening ceremony in Glasgow last Wednesday to lead teams around Celtic Park.
The dogs, which all wore tartan dog coats with the name of each team on them, were widely praised on social media, with many people stating they thought they had "stolen the show". Hamish, who led out the Scotland team, received one of the biggest cheers of the night.
Many Muslims refuse to have direct contact with dogs, which are considered by some to be "unclean" in Islamic culture. Some overseas Muslim groups have reportedly previously called for a jihad on dogs.
Possibly making matters worse was the fact that Jock, who was supposed to lead out the Malaysian team, sat down and refused to move as soon as his coat was put on, meaning he had to be carried by the team representative.
Mohamad Sabu, the deputy president of the opposition Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party said: "Malaysia and all Islamic countries deserve and apology from the organiser.

"This is just so disrespectful to Malaysia and Muslims – especially as it happened during Ramadan. Muslims are not allowed to touch dogs, so the organiser should have been more aware and sensitive on this issue.

"It is hoped this incident can teach other Western countries to be more respectful in the future."

--------

I would have thought politicians in Malaysia would more important things to deal with but apparently not.
[ Last edit by IonaRed Today at 01:07 AM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #78 on: Today at 01:13 AM »

One Jamaican athlete has complained about the food - not seasoned enough for him. Now Bolt has apparently said the games are nothing like the Olympics and they're a bit "$hit". Well, they're both welcome to go home. It's clear that is where they left their manners.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #79 on: Today at 01:23 AM »

One Jamaican athlete has complained about the food - not seasoned enough for him. Now Bolt has apparently said the games are nothing like the Olympics and they're a bit "$hit". Well, they're both welcome to go home. It's clear that is where they left their manners.

Bolt is an arrogant thing, because his stats do actually suggest he is king of the track.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #80 on: Today at 01:25 AM »

Bolt is an arrogant thing, because his stats do actually suggest he is king of the track.

I don't mind the arrogance. I mind him being rude. Nobody forced him to come to Glasgow.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #81 on: Today at 01:33 AM »

I saw this interview earlier and found it again on youtube. The father of Chad le Clos clearly had a perception of the Scots before he arrived in Scotland and I don't think it was a good one. He seems pleased he was wrong.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #82 on: Today at 02:30 AM »

You really couldn't make it up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10995961/Commonwealth-Games-Scottie-dogs-disrespectful-to-Muslims.html

Use of Scottish terrier dogs during Commonwealth Games opening ceremony 'shameful' and 'offensive', Malaysian politicians

Malaysian politicians and religious leaders have attacked the use of Scottie dogs during the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, claiming it was disrespectful to Muslims.

Around 40 Scottie dogs were used in the opening ceremony in Glasgow last Wednesday to lead teams around Celtic Park.
The dogs, which all wore tartan dog coats with the name of each team on them, were widely praised on social media, with many people stating they thought they had "stolen the show". Hamish, who led out the Scotland team, received one of the biggest cheers of the night.
Many Muslims refuse to have direct contact with dogs, which are considered by some to be "unclean" in Islamic culture. Some overseas Muslim groups have reportedly previously called for a jihad on dogs.
Possibly making matters worse was the fact that Jock, who was supposed to lead out the Malaysian team, sat down and refused to move as soon as his coat was put on, meaning he had to be carried by the team representative.
Mohamad Sabu, the deputy president of the opposition Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party said: "Malaysia and all Islamic countries deserve and apology from the organiser.

"This is just so disrespectful to Malaysia and Muslims – especially as it happened during Ramadan. Muslims are not allowed to touch dogs, so the organiser should have been more aware and sensitive on this issue.

"It is hoped this incident can teach other Western countries to be more respectful in the future."

--------

I would have thought politicians in Malaysia would more important things to deal with but apparently not.

I would have thought so too.  Also they obviously don't know the old saying that 'when in Rome do as the Romans do.'  Visitors to Muslim countries are obliged to show respect for their beliefs and traditions, so Muslims should do the same here.

Ooops!  Forgot about the PC brigade! Rolling Eyes

Should have brought his own seasoning just in case! lol  As for Bolt, if he felt this way about the Games, why bother to turn up if he considers them to be 'second rate'?  Blooming cheek! 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #83 on: Today at 02:40 AM »

I saw this interview earlier and found it again on youtube. The father of Chad le Clos clearly had a perception of the Scots before he arrived in Scotland and I don't think it was a good one. He seems pleased he was wrong.

I love that!  He's falling over himself with his enthusiasm about the Scots. Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #84 on: Today at 02:55 AM »

What a load of tosh.

My two Muslim student boys (they've gone now.. still local but living independently) were initially really scared of our Benji. I asked them why, and they said that in their home (just outside Jeddah) dogs are considered dangerous and used for hunting. They are never in people's homes.
I asked them what they would do if they petted him, and they showed me how they would have to 'wash' their hands in dirt from the ground, then say a prayer.
After they'd been in our house a couple of months, they were throwing a ball and playing fetch with Benji, and having a lot of fun in the process. They'd give him the occasional scratch behind his ears, and even take him for walks.

They were really upset when we told them he had passed. Of course they'd never have their own dog, but at least they had their eyes opened.

They and their friends are so brainwashed, it's quite astonishing.

Having said that.. I've recently become involved with dog rescue, and some of the dogs are being rescued from Taiwan. They are herded up and carted in giant nets 10-12 dogs at a time to be cooked and eaten. It's awful. That's their culture.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 « Reply #85 on: Today at 06:10 AM »

^ Oh my God Linda 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »