Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  London Olympics 2012: Other sports 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

London Olympics 2012: Other sports

(Read 8871 times)
Iris
ATP Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 01:04 AM »

What was all the French announcing? Was it perhaps a concession because Paris was the actual winner of the 2012 Olympics?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4553116.stm
Is it not because french is recognised as a universal language together with english.  I think the rest of the world might wonder what the start of the opening was all about but I thought the making of the five interlocking rings was excellent along with the lighting of the olympic flame was just outstanding.  My only criticism would be the use of Jerusalem and Abide With Me which are hymns (one was used at my mother'[s funeral) and imo was disrespectful to the athletes of the world who are non christian.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 01:05 AM »

Queen looked utterly smug and disinterested. I like her even less now.

Or as a woman in her mid 80's at 12.30 at night she looks shattered and ready for her bed! She's human remember. If she didn't take her duty so seriously she could have fobbed it off to Charles or William. Don't be an anti-monarchist ass for the sake of it. Context helps.

Something to do with the history of the Olympics itself, Nigel. Can't remember exactly.

In any case, fantastic ceremony. As technically impressive as Beijing but thought it was quite an emotional and quirky ceremony. It definitely reminded me how great this country is.

I agree stunning and really classy with lots of details. Best of British by far yes

The French thing is because they masterminded the modern olympics and so it's always in French too- also a lot of Europeans/Africans who have rough english have better French Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 01:08 AM »

Is it not because french is recognised as a universal language together with english.  I think the rest of the world might wonder what the start of the opening was all about but I thought the making of the five interlocking rings was excellent along with the lighting of the olympic flame was just outstanding.  My only criticism would be the use of Jerusalem and Abide With Me which are hymns (one was used at my mother'[s funeral) and imo was disrespectful to the athletes of the world who are non christian.

Abide with me has been sung at EVERY Olympic opening ceremoney and is traditional and not a 'British' choice. Jerusalem is recognised as an 'English' anthem as they had anthems for all the GB nations. They were there as anthems not hymns, and none of the athletes would take offence because they're bright enough to realise that.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 01:09 AM »

SO BEAUTIFUL
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 01:14 AM »

I see,it was indeed entertaining.

Both Roger and Rafa failed to show up.
Roger is playing tomorrow.  Rafa had to withdraw from the Olympics due to a knee injury.  Enjoyed watching Novak though.  He looked really happy as the flag-bearer for Serbia.

What was all the French announcing? Was it perhaps a concession because Paris was the actual winner of the 2012 Olympics?
Maybe because, next to English, French is the most widely spoken language, or second language, in the world?  (Sorry - just noticed that Iris already pointed that out)

[ Last edit by Aileen July 28, 2012, 01:22 AM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 01:16 AM »

Something to do with the history of the Olympics itself, Nigel. Can't remember exactly.

In any case, fantastic ceremony. As technically impressive as Beijing but thought it was quite an emotional and quirky ceremony. It definitely reminded me how great this country is.

Yep, Baron de Coubertin and all that. Yes, it was brilliant, but it was brilliant because it had very little to do with modern-day Britain. It was quirky, it was historical and it reclaimed, celebrated and put in the shop window everything that we're a little bit ashamed of as Brits. So, it worked.

I felt emotional about Britain for the first time since about 1990.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 01:19 AM »

'Nimrod' always sounds good. Great choice.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23 AM »

I only tuned in just after 11:00.  Quite a geography lesson - all these countries I didn't know existed!  Can't say I was overly impressed with what I saw of the ceremony (maybe the beginning was better?), although the Olympic cauldron was a fantastic sight.  Also it was a shame that team GB had to wear these tacky-looking white and gold Liberace-style outfits.  That let the country down a bit, I think.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25 AM »

That first segment - the Industrial Revolution.

**** me, I haven't been that entertained for a long, long time. Excellent imagination and execution.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25 AM »

I only tuned in just after 11:00.  Quite a geography lesson - all these countries I didn't know existed!  Can't say I was overly impressed with what I saw of the ceremony (maybe the beginning was better?), although the Olympic cauldron was a fantastic sight.  Also it was a shame that team GB had to wear these tacky-looking white and gold Liberace-style outfits.  That let us down a bit, I think.

Watch the first 1 hr 30 - it was absolutely tremendous. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 01:29 AM »

Watch the first 1 hr 30 - it was absolutely tremendous. Smile
Thanks Andrew.  I will do.  Hopefully it'll be on iplayer.

I must say that I greatly admired the Queen and Prince Philip for turning up.  Quite amazing given their ages.  I really didn't expect to see them but I guess the Queen felt it her duty as head of state.  What an inspirational person she is.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 28, 2012, 01:34 AM ] IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 01:34 AM »

Abide with me has been sung at EVERY Olympic opening ceremoney and is traditional and not a 'British' choice. Jerusalem is recognised as an 'English' anthem as they had anthems for all the GB nations. They were there as anthems not hymns, and none of the athletes would take offence because they're bright enough to realise that.
I must remember to ask my Chinese friend who participated in the last Olympics if she considered Abide With Me as an anthem, that is if she is bright enough to know!!
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #42 on: July 28, 2012, 01:46 AM »

Was looking out for Andy but didn't see him. Was he there? The beeb were concentrating on the diver boy. I thought the ceremony was fantastic, so imaginative and brilliantly performed - I can' remember lasting more than about 2 minutes with previous OCs but couldnt take my eyes off this - everything was perfect until McCartney mucked up and sang out of sync with his backing tape. That was a great shame after everything else was flawless. I love Paul but its time for him to call it a day.

IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 02:31 AM »

Andy wasn't at the ceremony MT .  I enjoyed it tho , thought it was well done.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #44 on: July 28, 2012, 03:35 AM »

Or as a woman in her mid 80's at 12.30 at night she looks shattered and ready for her bed! She's human remember. If she didn't take her duty so seriously she could have fobbed it off to Charles or William. Don't be an anti-monarchist ass for the sake of it. Context helps.

Kinda doubt she was looking at the ground during GB's entrance because she was tired. She didn't look shattered. She just looked completely indifferent.

She didn't even crack a smile at the start of the ceremony, when the handicapped kids sang the national anthem. Miserable old snob.

Don't start on me with the pro-monarchy crap.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »