Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  London Olympics 2012: Other sports 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: London Olympics 2012: Other sports  (Read 6515 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #60 on: July 28, 2012, 05:22 PM »

Correction.  Mark was 29th one of the reports said that he was 5th.
IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #61 on: July 28, 2012, 05:24 PM »

Ridiculously disappointed about the road race. Mark Cavendish is one of my favourite sportsmen after Andy and I so wanted him to win this title to go with everything else he has won. In a really bad mood now.

Hopefully Andy will cheer me up in the doubles!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #62 on: July 28, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Becky, I think you ought to have a drink coz your mood isn't going to get any better.
IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #63 on: July 28, 2012, 07:38 PM »

Becky, I think you ought to have a drink coz your mood isn't going to get any better.

I know this day just keeps getting worse!

I had a dream earlier in the week that we hadn't won any medals by deep into the second week and we were on the verge of winning a bronze in the heptathlon relay (my dreams are weird) but got beaten by Australia. I'm starting to worry it was more of a premonition!
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #64 on: July 28, 2012, 07:44 PM »

As they finished the last climb on Box hill team Sky + David Millar (AKA Team GB) were in a good position only being about 60 seconds down.  However there was something like 22 or more in the breakaway and you would never get that in a flat stage on Le Tour though and that made it harder.

The other teams in the peloton apart from Germany didn't need to work at the front because they had men in the breakaway.  I thought it was really good of Bernie Eisel of Austria to give a hand to his Sky team mates for a little while when they still had a small chance of pulling back the leaders. 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #65 on: July 28, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Keep of the cheese I say. lol

And there's problems with empty seats - I noticed quite a few empty seats for centre court earlier.

From James Pearce at the beeb:-

Empty seats were one of the biggest problems at the Beijing Olympics, and after those Games Lord Coe promised that he would do everything in his power to prevent the same happening in London.

Sponsors are traditionally the greatest culprits, and Coe has previously threatened to name and shame companies which do not use their tickets. It's too early in the Olympics for any action like that to be taken, but London 2012 will look into who should have been sitting in those empty seats.

The media are also probably guilty of not using their full allocation. That is often an issue in the early heats, when there is less media interest than for finals.

Nearly all the cheaper seats at today's events have been filled; it's the expensive ones in sight of the cameras which have not been so well used. It's hardly surprising that those people who have spent the past year trying in vain to buy tickets have been frustrated when they see so many empty seats.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #66 on: July 28, 2012, 07:45 PM »

As they finished the last climb on Box hill team Sky + David Millar (AKA Team GB) were in a good position only being about 60 seconds down.  However there was something like 22 or more in the breakaway and you would never get that in a flat stage on Le Tour though and that made it harder.

The other teams in the peloton apart from Germany didn't need to work at the front because they had men in the breakaway.  I thought it was really good of Bernie Eisel of Austria to give a hand to his Sky team mates for a little while when they still had a small chance of pulling back the leaders. 

So did they get their tactics wrong?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #67 on: July 28, 2012, 07:56 PM »

I don't know much about the tactics of cycle racing, but the mass pee break about 20 minutes in seemed odd.

See at 28.30, unless you'd rather not.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w2rlr
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #68 on: July 28, 2012, 07:58 PM »

Probably not, and probably can't, being down under an' all Very Happy
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #69 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02 PM »

As they didn't have the same contact with the support team as the team radios were not in operation in this race.  They normally would be, they didn't know the time gap. The team captains had to keep dropping back to the cars to find out  what was happening.

I think they left it a little bit late to attack and with their exploits in Le Tour over the last 3 weeks they may not have had enough left in the tank (Froome and Wiggins) who knows. 

With that many good riders in the breakaway and without Rogers, Boasen Hagen and Porte (Sky Team mates) to help them claw the defecit back like they managed to do in stage 18 of Le tour last week for Cavendish to win, it seemed a lost cause with 20 km to go.   
[ Last edit by Geo July 28, 2012, 09:29 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #70 on: July 28, 2012, 08:06 PM »

I did see one guy with a bit of paper on it (non British) and they were saying on the commentary that he's probably been told what the time distance was between his team and the breakaway group - could we not have done that for the GB team?  I guess it's immaterial now.  I was so hopeful at the start of the day and have fallen a tad flat now.  I need to start and expect the worse and then be quietly surprised Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #71 on: July 28, 2012, 08:10 PM »

Team GB cyclist David Millar on Bradley Wiggins's chances of winning the road time trial: "I think he will, He's in such incredible form and spirits. I think he can wrap that up."

Well that's akin to commentators curse, right ^.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #72 on: July 28, 2012, 08:10 PM »

I think everybody thought it was a forgone conclusion that Cav would win with the way things went for all the British team in Le Tour.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #73 on: July 28, 2012, 08:11 PM »

I think everybody thought it was a forgone conclusion that Cav would win with the way things went for all the British team in Le Tour.

Well I was hopeful of a medal but got zilch. no
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #74 on: July 28, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Team GB cyclist David Millar on Bradley Wiggins's chances of winning the road time trial: "I think he will, He's in such incredible form and spirits. I think he can wrap that up."

Well that's akin to commentators curse, right ^.

Fabian Cancellara who fell when he went straight on and didn't take the corner will be one of the favourites for the Time Trial.  It could all depend on how he can recover from that.  With what went on today maybe Wiggins can recover and make up for it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »