Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  London Olympics 2012: Other sports 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 Go Down Reply
Author

London Olympics 2012: Other sports

(Read 7718 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #435 on: August 11, 2012, 11:07 PM »

If there's no restrictions, I don't know why they don't do a high-tariff dive every time. It's not like the judges hand out 10s like candy. So they might as well do a 3.6 every time.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #436 on: August 12, 2012, 12:32 AM »

Farah is ******* amazing. Double olympic champion, 5k and 10k. Wow. Broken the African dominance and only the 7th man in history to achieve that feat. Definite contender for SPOTY.

Gold for Campbell in the boxing and bronze for Daley. Daley was ******* excellent, I'm so happy for him getting that medal, he seemed so pleased. The standards in that final were ridiculous. One mistake and you're out (of the medals), as proved by Chinese guy #2.

The reaction from the Chinese guy got silver shows all that is wrong with China and their involvement Olympics. They expect to win gold and put so much pressure on them to win it. It should be about the taking part, and enjoying it. It's not all about winning.

Two boxing finals tomorrow to round us off.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #437 on: August 12, 2012, 12:58 AM »

So pleased for Tom Daley. The happiest bronze medallist I've seen. How he did all that after the death of his lovely father last year, and somehow getting 4 As at A level this year, is just amazing. He seems to have inherited his dad's wonderful good humour and it's great to see him so happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #438 on: August 12, 2012, 01:25 AM »

Relive every gold medal so far (not yet updated with Farah's or Campbell's):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19164612

So pleased for Tom Daley. The happiest bronze medallist I've seen. How he did all that after the death of his lovely father last year, and somehow getting 4 As at A level this year, is just amazing. He seems to have inherited his dad's wonderful good humour and it's great to see him so happy

Agreed. How he's come back from something like that I don't know, I can't think of anything worse than losing a family member. He deserves so much credit and it's great to see him so happy, especially after that twitter incident last week.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #439 on: August 12, 2012, 07:07 AM »

Mo is awesome. trophy trophy
Well done Tom after a difficult year. yay
Just read Cameron was booed at a boxing match.....beginning to like boxing... Whistle
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #440 on: August 12, 2012, 08:00 AM »

Well done Tom and only 18.  Did anyone else hear the commentators say that his penultimate dive should have been higher.  If that had happened he would have gold.

Wasn't there an Swiss IOC at the tennis awards?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #441 on: August 12, 2012, 10:05 AM »

Can't believe that it's the last day.  It's been brilliant to watch from afar, so goodness knows what it's been like for you guys in the UK.

Well done to all our competitors, medal winners and possible medal winners today. clap
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #442 on: August 12, 2012, 10:22 AM »

Missed Mo's victory by a few minutes and had to check the result on the Internet. Couldn't believe he did it again. But I saw a lot of the diving. It was breathtaking - the dives themselves and the close scores towards the end. Tom's happiness about bronze stood in such a harsh contrast to the Chinese disappointment at silver, unbelievable.When I was on holiday abroad, I could watch a BBC documentary about Tom Daley and when you know the story behind an athlete you can really judge such an achievement. 
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #443 on: August 12, 2012, 11:35 AM »

If there's no restrictions, I don't know why they don't do a high-tariff dive every time. It's not like the judges hand out 10s like candy. So they might as well do a 3.6 every time.

Nigel. I have found the rules below. 6 dives with one dive from each category.  I think that Tom is performing close to the hardest dive from each category. However, he performed the 3.6 difficulty dive at the beginning and left the 3.3 difficulty till the very end, whereas the others did the inverse which I think is the better strategy.

I haven't seen Tom performed the 4.1 difficulty dive which must very hard to achieve the top marks.

http://diving.about.com/od/dives/tp/diveTypes.htm

•Men must complete six dives.
 •Women must complete five dives.
 •There is no limit on total degree of difficulty for these dives.
 •For the men, at least one dive during the contest must come from each of five different six different categories – forward, back, reverse, inward, twisting and armstand.
 •No category can be repeated in a list of dives.
 •All dives must be competed from the 10-meter platform

GB is guaranteed third in the medal table as Russia can no longer overtake GB in the Gold medals count.
[ Last edit by Philip August 12, 2012, 12:02 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #444 on: August 12, 2012, 12:09 PM »

Seems a shame that 45 out of the world's top 50 marathon runners can't do the Olympic event.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #445 on: August 12, 2012, 12:39 PM »

Hi All,

I think this has been a brilliant Olympic Games. I liked some of the opening ceremony. I thought the first hour or so was fantastic, and the way the cauldron was done was superb. Thereafter I thought it was a bit daft and long-winded. I don't think I'm going to bother with the closing ceremony, or rather, I might watch a bit and see how it goes.

However, it's the sport that has been the greatest spectacle. I know this is the place to talk about other sports, but Andy's achievement is top of my list of highlights. It was a glorious result. The way he played through the tournament, getting to the final, winning. It wasn't just the winning, although that was the important thing, but who he beat, where he beat him, and how he beat him. I still think it was stunning. I do think it helps when you feel familiar with an athlete, as we do with Andy, knowing what he has been through to get there and win. It add a dimension to it, an emotional thing. I think there is also that feeling as well as to what this could lead to, especially with Andy, that makes it special.

I've never really watched the diving a lot, but I did see some of it last night. I think Tom Daley has done incredibly well, not just in getting the bronze, and effectively have the gold within his clutches for a while, but to do it in the light of his Dad's death. I know from painful experience that the loss of a parent is hard to deal with. My Dad died in 2002, my Mum in 2004. When Dad died it took me about a year to get anywhere near normal again, whatever normal is, and I was 28. Tom has gone through the loss of his Dad at 18, just the age when he is probably finding himself as a man and as a sportsman, certainly the age when he probably needs his Dad for guidance, reassurance and support. I think maybe there are people who use adversity to push them forwards. Maybe Tom is in that category. He should be proud of what he has done.

Mo Farah was stunning last night, just brilliant. He got the benefit of the screaming I couldn't do for Andy! I have to say, I thought from the start that he would do it. Well done Mo!

Ed McKeever winning gold in the K1 200m was awesome yesterday morning too. Think Usain Bolt, but in a Kayak. Marvellous, and so understated!

I don't think I will ever forget last Saturday night. 3 golds within an hour, amazing. Last night was pretty special though too. The way the crowd joined in with the National Anthem at Mo's medal ceremony was glorious, and the same happened with Campbell at the boxing. Moving stuff!

Jess Ennis, the cycling team, the rowers, Ben Ainslie, there have just been so many highlights.

I've just been watching a bit of the Men's Marathon. The crowds are immense, 10 or fifteen deep right around the course, all screaming, cheering and waving flags. It's an incredible sight.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #446 on: August 12, 2012, 12:54 PM »

Couldn't agree more teejay - it has been a fantastic 2 weeks of sport.  So glad that there is some good tennis to come in the next few weeks or I wouldn't know what to do with myself!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #447 on: August 12, 2012, 04:06 PM »

Staying at a friend's last night and we watched mo together.   How amazing he is.   And who'd have thought that someone with his background could become a hero of the nation.  It's a bit like a modern fairy story.  So pleased for him.  And loved the way he and Bolt fooled around doing each other's signature moves.  Good to see Tom Daley so happy too after all he's been through.
Oh and bbh - loved the report from the boxing.  Just wish I'd seen Nicola Adams win the other day as that sounds like it was quite special.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #448 on: August 12, 2012, 05:14 PM »

Very Happy  true. lol

IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: London Olympics 2012: Other sports « Reply #449 on: August 12, 2012, 05:23 PM »

Language John!!Would read better as' But Britain celebrates Bronze like it is Platinum1' No need for the word you used before Platinum. I'm really find it obnoxious to have the F word being continually used, it adds nothing, and offends me greatly, and I'm sure there are others who don't find the need to use swear words all the time.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »