Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Poker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Poker

(Read 5822 times)
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Poker « Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 10:07 PM »

Yeah, but it's all about probability of winning. To be good at poker I was once told...

"It matters not what you have, but what you think your opponent has"

Here is a list of the best starting hands based on number of times they have won after being dealt. Those with higher EV are better.

http://www.tightpoker.com/poker_hands.html

My point is, that while any hand CAN win, it's very unlikely that 72 off suit, are going to beat AA.
[ Last edit by nkp2 March 26, 2008, 10:08 PM ] IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Poker « Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 10:10 PM »

If you want to know your real chances, then look at this EV table. The higher the better. This shows your probability of winning depending on what seat you are in!

http://www.tightpoker.com/hands/ev_position.html
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Poker « Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 10:14 PM »

Yeah but it just seems daft to me doing that.  Because if someone buts loads down so you think they have good cards and you know yours are totally random why would you risk losing hundreds?  Its a bit of a ball ache.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Poker « Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 10:20 PM »

Yeah but it just seems daft to me doing that.  Because if someone buts loads down so you think they have good cards and you know yours are totally random why would you risk losing hundreds?  Its a bit of a ball ache.

Exactly, you don't. You fold. But the person with say.... AA is hoping someone has AK or KK. Then that other person might call them. And most of the time, the AA will win and he'll be jumping for joy!

OR they might be trying to bluff and steal some chips.

I can't comment in your situation. I don't know what the blinds are and what they are raising by. generally, if you have a good hand, and lots of people have called the big blind, you raise is between 3-5 times the BB. If there's no one called yet, you bet 1-3times the BB. That sort of idea. I mean, if you have AA, you don't want people to fold, but you don't want to win a tiny pot OR risk letting someone with rubbish call the BB for the fun of it, and hit an awesome hand.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Poker « Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 10:25 PM »

AK is more powerful than KK though. One's an assault rifle and the other is a submachine gun but whatever you do please don't bring a BB into the equation. What we talking about again? doh
[ Last edit by Mark March 26, 2008, 10:26 PM ] IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Poker « Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 10:27 PM »

AK is more powerful than KK though. One's an assault rifle and the other is a submachine gun but whatever you do please don't bring a BB into the equation. What we talking about again? doh

Get out of this thread already! lol
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Poker « Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 10:28 PM »

Come on Mark, it depends on what sort of mission you're on. Sometimes an assault rifle can beat a submachine gun.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Poker « Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 10:28 PM »

Yeah.. .

AA
KK
AKs
QQ
JJ
AQs
KQs
AK

They are the strongest hands.

I don't get these.  Are they only a strong hand for the possibility of getting straight or flush?  I can get the AA, KK, QQ so on ... because they are doubles.  But they seem more stronger than the AK, AQ etc Think
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Poker « Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33 PM »

Come on Mark, it depends on what sort of mission you're on. Sometimes an assault rifle can beat a submachine gun.
Indeed, I was simply saying one was more powerful than the other.

I'm sure the KK would be better for close range or highly mobile situations and the AK would be better suited for the larger combat zones.
[ Last edit by Mark March 26, 2008, 10:35 PM ] IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Poker « Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33 PM »

AKs because it can make the strongest pairs, the strongest st8 and the strongest flush.
Same with the rest actually.

They aren't in the order.

The first link I gave you gives the order of likelihood of winning.

If you have AJ even if someone has KK, you only need one A on the board to win.... see what i mean? You talk about making pairs, that's why they are strong hands. Because they have the highest cards. It's all probability of what cards will come out.

Remember, if you have KQs it might be the strongest hand out of everyone - it doesn't mean that someone has a pair.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Poker « Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 10:34 PM »

AKs because it can make the strongest pairs, the strongest st8 and the strongest flush.

Ahhh I see.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: Poker « Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 07:26 PM »

So last night was good. Played 3 games, won 1, heads up in another. Came out with more money than started with, so not too bad.

I had a great win though. I was short stacked. Got dealt King of Clubs, Queen of Diamonds. Flop comes out Jack, King, 5 diamonds. I've got pair of kings but potential flush. I'm on the button, so everyone checks and I raise the minimum. All but one player folds. next card out is 9 of diamonds. I've got the flush, queen high. The other player raises, putting me all in. I think about it for a while, and decide to call. He turns over the Ace of Diamonds. Gutted wasnt the word for how I felt. So the only card that could save me was the 10 of Diamonds, giving me the straight flush. And guess what happened...  

Biggest hand I've ever had, and if I had his Ace, I would have hit a Royal Flush!  Took a picture of it! And one of the guys playing. I had just been eliminated!

* 27-03-08_0026.jpg (26.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 195 times.)

* 27-03-08_0013.jpg (33.7 KB, 640x480 - viewed 186 times.)
[ Last edit by scotsman75 March 27, 2008, 07:28 PM ] IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Poker « Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 06:41 PM »

Woooooooooooooo!   I just won 5000 on my first go on the table and had three Queen's w00t
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Poker « Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 06:53 PM »

Woooooooooooooo!   I just won 5000 on my first go on the table and had three Queen's w00t

I love how you fish in the poker thread with stories about fb texas hold'em lol
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Poker « Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 07:04 PM »

Am I not allowed to?  Think
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »