Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Rugby League Four Nations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Rugby League Four Nations

(Read 503 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Rugby League Four Nations « on: October 21, 2010, 09:37 AM »

Competition between England, NZ, Australia and Papua New Guinea in NZ and Aus. Starts this weekend in NZ. We made the final last year (France were the 4th team instead of PNG) by unexpectedly beating NZ in the round robin (everyone plays everyone once) but got predictably thrashed by the Aussies in the final.

Anyone interested? Think I tried getting a thread going for last year's tournie and the World Cup a couple of years ago but there wasn't much interest on here, but you never know.

England take on NZ this weekend in Wellington to open it up and I am of course going. Not been to a league match before so looking forward to it. We're missing several key players with injury - Jamie Peacock (captain), Adrian Morely (the replacement as captain) and Danny Maguire to name a few and are struggling to put together a team that looks competitive, there's always a chance.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rugby League Four Nations « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:29 AM »

I'm not a league fan but they seem to be hyping it up on the sports bulletins at the moment.  I hope that England can make a match of it.  Will you be going?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Rugby League Four Nations « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:44 AM »

Yep I'm going on Saturday.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rugby League Four Nations « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 12:40 PM »

Again will be keeping an eye but I'm a Union girl lol I'm counting down till November and the Autumn tests yay Just wish I had the pennies to be in Murrayfield, but at least I can stay warm and dry watching from home Smile
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Rugby League Four Nations « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:22 AM »

We lost 24-10. Fairly boring game to be honest and the atmosphere (if you can use that word) was absolutely dead. Give me a football game any day.

The start was pretty cool though was it was the 'Centenary Test' (ie, 100 years since they first played each othere) so the festivities etc were pretty good. The crowd was as expected really. NZ is the only country I've seen live (and I've been to international sporting events in other countries) or on TV who boo and shout obscenities through opposition national anthems. We'd bought our food before finding our seats and the girlfriend said "I'm putting my food on the ground cos its disrespectful to eat during a national anthem." So in response to the treatment of our anthem I ate my burger through the NZ one. Not that anyone saw or gave a sh*t but it made me feel good. lol

As for the game, England were absolutely abysmal for an hour. Think the only time we had the ball over the half way line was in the first minute because they kicked off, and a Kiwi player broke his arm making a tackle. Not that we saw it as a group of about 10 people turned up to climb their way through our row to their seats. Only knew it had happened because a guy behind us had headphones in with the commentary and said "sounds like he's broken his arm." We were 10 metres out from Englands try line about 8 rows from the front so were pretty close to all the first half action.

Amazing we went into half time only 12-0 down with only 2 tries in it. Spotted ourselves on the screen at half time too. Quickly became 18-0 in the 2nd half and I thought it would end up about 30-0. Then suddenly we got up their end and scored a try. Then straight from the restart got a breakaway and scored a length of the field effort. The try scorer shanked his simple conversion which would have put us just a converted try back and made it interesting. Then we seemed to have scored again only for the video ref to disallow it for a pretty soft push. Then they went straight up the other end and scored another 2 to finish it off.

Australia should thrash us by much more next week.

One thing I don't really understand is why NZ were allowed to play with 1 extra player. Reuben Wiki (NZ legend recently retired) was the 'waterboy' or whatever they call the guy who runs on with the drinks, but he was on the field almost the entire game. Every time they had the ball he was on the pitch 5m behind the team directing the play and effectively captaining the team. He went off the pitch when we had the ball, presumably because it would illegal if he somehow got in the way of the actual play. But I just don't understand why he was allowed to be on the pitch captaining the team when they had the ball.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 October 26, 2010, 02:32 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rugby League Four Nations « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:08 AM »

One thing I don't really understand is why NZ were allowed to play with 1 extra player. Reuben Wiki (NZ legend recently retired) was the 'waterboy' or whatever they call the guy who runs on with the drinks, but he was on the field almost the entire game. Every time they had the ball he was on the pitch 5m behind the team directing the play and effectively captaining the team. He went off the pitch when we had the ball, presumably because it would illegal if he somehow got in the way of the actual play. But I just don't understand why he was allowed to be on the pitch captaining the team when they had the ball.

Great report Alex but wtf ^^^^  If that's what they have to do to win no

IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »