Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Rugby Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 49 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Rugby Thread  (Read 23831 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #420 on: August 08, 2011, 07:24 AM »

I'm sulking, where's the cricket thread Frown
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #421 on: August 08, 2011, 10:10 AM »

Awww........What's wrong BBH?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #422 on: August 08, 2011, 10:37 AM »

Cos, want to talk Ashes and probably the finest British team EVER! Only time I want to talk Rugby is 4 Nations and ONLY if Wales winning Wink
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #423 on: August 08, 2011, 10:50 AM »

I haven't been able to watch it this year, but I watched it a few years back when we brought the Ashes home and the team was pretty hot then too! cmon yeah
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #424 on: August 08, 2011, 12:11 PM »

I'm sulking, where's the cricket thread Frown

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/sports/cricket-thread/1335/
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #425 on: August 08, 2011, 06:44 PM »

Hazybear, thank you Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #426 on: February 03, 2012, 07:02 PM »

6 Nations is back this weekend! Looking forward to the Calcutta Cup tomorrow Very Happy
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #427 on: February 03, 2012, 07:42 PM »

why,s it called the Calcutta cup? Haze
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #428 on: February 04, 2012, 01:51 AM »

The Calcutta Cup is a rugby union trophy awarded to the winner of the annual Six Nations Championship match between England and Scotland. It is currently England's since the 2009 Six Nations Championship.

Since the cup was first competed for in 1879, England has won just over half of the 118 matches, and Scotland has won around one third.

The cup itself is of Indian workmanship, decorated with cobras and an elephant. It is now in a fragile state after much mistreatment.

On Christmas Day 1872, a game of rugby, between 20 players representing England on one side and 20 representing Scotland, Ireland and Wales on the other, was played in Calcutta.

The match was such a success that it was repeated a week later — the game of rugby had reached India. These lovers of rugby wanted to form a club in the area and the aforementioned matches were the agents which led to the formation of the Calcutta Football Club in January 1873.

The Calcutta Club joined the Rugby Football Union in 1874. Despite the Indian climate not being entirely suitable for playing rugby, the club prospered during that first year. However, when the free bar had to be discontinued, the membership took an appreciable drop. Other sports, such as tennis and polo, which were considered to be more suited to the local climate, were making inroads into the numbers of gentlemen available. The members decided to disband but keen to perpetuate the name of the club, they withdrew the club's funds from the bank, which were in Silver Rupees, had them melted down and made into a cup which they presented to the RFU in 1878, with the provision that it should be competed for annually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcutta_Cup

google

cmon yeah England but also good luck to all the home nation sides against France and Italy.  Nice to have the distraction of 6 nations since no tennis for a bit Very Happy
[ Last edit by Bevc February 04, 2012, 01:55 AM ] IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #429 on: February 04, 2012, 09:40 AM »

Looking forward to the six nations, especialy today, good to see the England v Scotland match in Murrayfield, the atmosphere is always amazing. As well as watching it on TV, will be recording it as well, as my son is there and I am hoping I will be able to spot him. I know where he is sitting so I will know where to look.

cmon yeah SCOTLAND!!!! Bagpipes
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #430 on: February 04, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Scotland, the only 'home nation' side I haven't seen live whilst I've been here.  And the nearest I got to Murrayfield - passed it on the train to Pitlochry on my 40th birthday. Very Happy

Will be a great match and am jealous that I can't be there or watch it at a reasonable time - 6 am start for me but at least I have coverage on a channel I don't have to have an additional subscription too.  yay to ESPN.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #431 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16 AM »

Thanks for explaining all that Bev Very Happy

and cmon yeah Scotland! Mums got out her massive St Georges cross, and I'm in my Scotland shirt-will be fun yes Though now quite glad I don't have tickets as it's wet and windy here and would be quite miserable to be stuck in a stand today.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #432 on: February 04, 2012, 11:21 AM »

lol  I can just picture both of you.

I need Scotland to come on tour - tickets for the world cup were just out of my budget.  Ireland are here again this year and might just have to go and watch them again and cheer them on against the AB's - they pushed them last time they were here. Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #433 on: February 04, 2012, 08:44 PM »

Scrappy game with errors made on both sides.  England were lucky to come away with the win.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby Thread « Reply #434 on: February 04, 2012, 10:01 PM »

Scrappy game with errors made on both sides.  England were lucky to come away with the win.
So it looks like I didn't miss much then.  Forgot all about it but wondered why I could see the Murrayfield lights in the distance from my flat! doh
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 49 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »