Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 19 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007  (Read 11975 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #45 on: September 10, 2007, 09:48 AM »

As I said in an earlier post my swingers are safe :P

Think note to self to be more tactical and thorough when making any amendments to my team devil
[ Last edit by Bevc September 10, 2007, 09:48 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #46 on: September 10, 2007, 09:52 AM »

Vickery cited for Emerick 'trip'

England skipper Phil Vickery has been cited after attempting to trip USA centre Paul Emerick during their World Cup match on Saturday.

Vickery now faces a disciplinary hearing and could be banned for England's crunch Pool A game against South Africa in Paris on Friday.

The 31-year-old insists that he did not deliberately try to trip Emerick.

"It was unfortunate," said Vickery after England's 28-10 win. "But there was certainly no malice from my part."

From beeb website

The tackle on Ollie Barkley was far worse, and I know that the culprit was sin-bined.  However, a possible match ban seems a bit harsh.
[ Last edit by Bevc September 10, 2007, 09:55 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #47 on: September 10, 2007, 10:20 AM »

Harsh? For that spear tackle? Seriously Barkley could have been paralised by that, he was extremely lucky to get off just a bit dazed. Slammed down harder and that would have been it for his career and possibly his life.
A ban from the rest of the tournament is the least that one deserved.

As for Vickery, he will probably be banned. He should have been sin-binned for it. I remember a French guy, I think it was Betsen, did something very similar in the semi final against us last time and was sin-binned. How the ref missed this one from Vickery is beyond me. If you look at the replay he was right on top of the play. It's unfortunate really that the ref didn't deal with it as it means it will be dealt with by him missing the next game against South Africa instead of 10 minutes against the Yanks. Tbh, it was probably worth a penalty try too.

I also disagree that this is a "crunch" game. We're just not good enough to put up any sort of fight. I feel the real crunch game is Samoa. That's the one that will decide whether its us or them who goes through.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 10, 2007, 10:21 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #48 on: September 10, 2007, 10:28 AM »

Sorry Alex, I'm not making myself very clear Very Happy  If Vickery gets a match ban then it would be harsh compared to the US guy just getting sin bined for a really bad tackle!  He wasn't given any further punishment was he?

Edit: Paul Emerick of the US has been cited too for his tackle on Olly Barkley.
[ Last edit by Bevc September 10, 2007, 10:44 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #49 on: September 10, 2007, 10:30 AM »

I also disagree that this is a "crunch" game. We're just not good enough to put up any sort of fight. I feel the real crunch game is Samoa. That's the one that will decide whether its us or them who goes through.

yes
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #50 on: September 10, 2007, 11:10 AM »

Sorry Alex, I'm not making myself very clear Very Happy  If Vickery gets a match ban then it would be harsh compared to the US guy just getting sin bined for a really bad tackle!  He wasn't given any further punishment was he?

Edit: Paul Emerick of the US has been cited too for his tackle on Olly Barkley.

Hehe sorry, I didn't read it properly. I thought you meant it was harsh for Emerick to get further punishment as he was already sin-binned. He has also been cited, and IMO should be banned for the rest of the tournament.
And yes it would be an injustice for Vickery to get a ban and Emerick to get just that sin bin. Hopefully common sense will prevail and Emerick will face further punishment. Vickery will almost certainly be banned though as he got no punishment at the time. It's unfortunate as it was certainly a sin-bin offence but hardly worth a match suspension.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 10, 2007, 11:11 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #51 on: September 10, 2007, 11:19 AM »

yes

However if by some miracle we could win this game aswell as beat Samoa, we would actually have quite an easy route to the final. If we go through in 2nd it will be Australia in the quarter final, followed by NZ in the semi final (although that's merely academic as we'd be thrashed by Australia by 50 odd points or so). But in the unlikely event we beat South Africa, we'll have Wales in the quarter final followed by probably Argentina or Scotland in the semi final.

Neil, with the trouble France have got themselves into with losing to Argentina and another huge game to come against Ireland, I don't think you were so silly to think your lot could make the semi finals anymore. Argentina or Ireland are your likely quater final opponents as things stand and you'd have to fancy your chances more than against the home nation.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #52 on: September 10, 2007, 11:40 AM »

goodjob

On a different note - WTF were Wales wearing? fainting  That colour is awful! yuk

And Scotland's kit's different too (although I've not seen any of them play since last March Crying or Very sad )   What the hell is going on with the kits?  Don't particularly like England's new strip either no
[ Last edit by Bevc September 10, 2007, 11:44 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #53 on: September 10, 2007, 11:49 AM »

I have to admit, several of the new strips are pretty ordinary.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #54 on: September 12, 2007, 04:14 AM »

Well Vickery has been banned for 2 matches. South Africa and Samoa. When he returns we'll already be out.
Absolutelt ridiculous. It was worth a sin-bin at most. Probably 1 match as it went unpunished. But 2 matches is just insane.
And Olly Barkley got injured just running in training which means Mike Catt will start at Fly Half on his zimmer frame and Andy Farrell at 12. The South Africans are shaking in their sleep. Can't understand why Charlie Hodgson was not included in the squad.

Quite rightly Emerick got a 5 match ban for his awful tackle on Barkley. So his world cup is over.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #55 on: September 12, 2007, 09:10 AM »

Just remembered Burger is in my fantasy team shocking

stretcher at the ready Sue Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #56 on: September 12, 2007, 09:11 AM »

Well Vickery has been banned for 2 matches. South Africa and Samoa. When he returns we'll already be out.
Absolutelt ridiculous. It was worth a sin-bin at most. Probably 1 match as it went unpunished. But 2 matches is just insane.
And Olly Barkley got injured just running in training which means Mike Catt will start at Fly Half on his zimmer frame and Andy Farrell at 12. The South Africans are shaking in their sleep. Can't understand why Charlie Hodgson was not included in the squad.

Quite rightly Emerick got a 5 match ban for his awful tackle on Barkley. So his world cup is over.

I thought it pretty harsh on Vickery no  Powers that be want to be seen as acting I suppose Rolling Eyes  Yes I wondered why Charlie had not been included Think
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #57 on: September 12, 2007, 09:12 AM »

Yet the All Blacks do 2 spear tackles against Italy, both unpunished, and are treated like heroes. They can do whatever they like and they'll still be heralded.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #58 on: September 12, 2007, 09:19 AM »

Yet the All Blacks do 2 spear tackles against Italy, both unpunished, and are treated like heroes. They can do whatever they like and they'll still be heralded.

Did not catch any of that match but if they did then they should be cited along with the rest grr
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rugby World Cup and Fantasy League 2007 « Reply #59 on: September 12, 2007, 09:47 AM »

France make 13 changes in their team to face Namibia - Think wonder who managed to keep their place lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »