Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  RWC 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 26 Go Down Reply
Author

RWC 2011

(Read 7891 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #105 on: September 16, 2011, 04:39 AM »

England team for Sunday's match against Georgia:

Ben Foden, Chris Ashton, Manu Tuilagi, Shontayne Hape, Delon Armitage, Toby Flood, Ben Youngs, Nick Easter, Lewis Moody (c), Tom Wood, Tom Palmer, Simon Shaw, Dan Cole, Dylan Hartley, Matt Stevens.

Reserves: Steve Thompson, Alex Corbisiero, Tom Croft, James Haskell, Joe Simpson, Jonny Wilkinson, Matt Banahan

Reasonably happy with that side. You don't want to play all your front-line players against Georgia and you want to give game time to some of the players not necessarily in your best starting 15 but will certainly be required later in the tournament. But of course you also want your top side getting match hardended and used to playing together.

Looking at the side I'd say we're starting 9 who are certainly in the first choice 15, assuming Stevens is the one who takes Sheridan's place, and potentially 10 if Flood gets his place back. Only really Hape in the backline who is unlikely to play the big games and that's where you want you combinations getting used to each other so it's good call IMO. Happy Ashton is playing as I've got $10 on him being the top try scorer, in the hope that he plays against Georgia and Romania. Hopefully he can make the most of it!
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 16, 2011, 04:43 AM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #106 on: September 16, 2011, 11:44 AM »

Shame Sheridan's injured and Laws has a 2 match ban, could have done with him for Georgia yes
According to the news today Foden is going to be a dad! Una whatshername from the Saturday's has announced she's preggers Smile
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #107 on: September 17, 2011, 03:11 AM »

I'm looking forward for the Australia vs. Ireland  game tomorrow. Should be an interesting one. What are your thoughts?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #108 on: September 17, 2011, 09:19 AM »

I'm looking forward for the Australia vs. Ireland  game tomorrow. Should be an interesting one. What are your thoughts?

That I'd love to see Ireland put in the shock of the tournament so far and beat Australia! Very Happy Hopefully a tight match but I think Australia have a strong advantage but my heart says Ireland nervous

Watched the 2nd half of SA v Fiji-that was a slaughter. Wales are going to have to be solid in the rest of their matches to qualify and beat Fiji well when they face them!

As for Scotland, after Argentina's performance against Romania then we need to win at least one solid match out of the last 2 nervous
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #109 on: September 17, 2011, 11:14 AM »

He might not have scored but I am in LOVE with Tommy Bowe-the length of the pitch and was stoppe 5m from the Australian try line! Brilliant run and pretty much ensures an Irish WIN against Australia!!! yay yay No tries but an amazing match and AMAZING result for Ireland ... Okay rugby mad and all for any home nation, especially against Australia!!! Very Happy

And- Ireland win! 15-6 against Australia!
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #110 on: September 17, 2011, 11:21 AM »

Kiwi TV commentator, 2 minutes before the final whistle:

"Downtown Auckland you'de better get ready for a big green wave!"

Other commentator:
 "How many Irish pubs are there in Auckland?"

Original commentator:
"There'll be one on every corner tonight!"

You HAVE to watch the last 10 minutes of this one!!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #111 on: September 17, 2011, 11:28 AM »

Brilliant match and Ireland just held them and didn't let them run Very Happy They defended well and caused the Aussie's to get nervous and make mistakes and that gave Ireland the penalties.
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #112 on: September 17, 2011, 11:51 AM »

Yip! You can sum the victory up in three words:
Persistent Passionate Pressure!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #113 on: September 17, 2011, 11:59 AM »

Congratulations Ireland - fantastic result - the Northern Hemisphere is proud of you!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #114 on: September 17, 2011, 03:31 PM »

Incredible result for Ireland. Completely turned the draw on its head ensuring a South Africa-Australia quarter final so 1 of those are guaranteed not to make the semis and an Ireland-Wales quarter final, ensuring 2 6 Nations sides in the semi finals (assuming we don't lose heavily to Scotland so play France in the quarter) which will be incredible.

Anyway have to get to bed now, will post about the South Africa-Fiji game I went to tomorrow (or today now!).
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #115 on: September 17, 2011, 03:34 PM »

Actually, quick look at the draw and it ensures a Northern Hemisphere finalist! With no major shock result, the 1st semi final should now be Ireland/Wales vs England/France. With NZ playing Australia or South Africa in the other. I suddenly like our chances of going all the way much more than I did a few hours ago!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #116 on: September 17, 2011, 03:37 PM »

Actually, quick look at the draw and it ensures a Northern Hemisphere finalist! With no major shock result, the 1st semi final should now be Ireland/Wales vs England/France. With NZ playing Australia or South Africa in the other. I suddenly like our chances of going all the way much more than I did a few hours ago!

Eyebrow raise. Don't count dear Scotland out just yet Smile

I am loving the way it's working out NH vSH though. Should mean that the best of the the NS goes up against the best of the SH rather than the SH wiping the floor with the NH in the quarters and semis Smile
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #117 on: September 18, 2011, 01:07 AM »

I haven't. You might beat one of us or Argentina and play NZ in the quarter final. But you won't beat both of us and win the group. On the basis of how you've played against Romania and Georgie though, it looks like being an early flight home.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #118 on: September 18, 2011, 01:57 AM »

Anyway went to the South Africa-Fiji game last night. Had an awesome seat 5 rows from the front right on the half way line. Pretty good game despite the big score. Fiji had quite a lot of the ball in South Africa's half but really lacked that quality game breaker who could do something with it. And they got over the line 3 or 4 times and dropped the ball. Rugby really is a poxy sport to watch live though. You spend 95% of the game having to look at the screen because you can't see the ball and don't know what's going on. The only time you can really look at the pitch and see what's happening is when they take a kick at goal. And even then you can't always tell if it's over and have to wait for the linesmen to raise their flags.

Thing I found annoying was most people don't go there to watch the game, they just go to drink really. Every 10 seconds there's someone pushing past you, people can't sit in their seat for 10 minutes. It's only an 80 minute FFS. I didn't get out my seat till full time.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #119 on: September 18, 2011, 02:05 AM »

Also my Dad was at the Ireland game and said it was the best atmosphere of any sports event he's ever been too. Even louder than the All Blacks-British Lions game we went to in 2005 which was pretty awesome. And the place was pretty much all Irish.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 26 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »