Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  RWC 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 26 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: RWC 2011  (Read 5894 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

RWC 2011 « on: August 31, 2011, 10:56 AM »

The teams have started arriving in New Zealand.  Fiji arrived yesterday with England, Japan and France arriving today.

1st game is next Friday between New Zealand and Tonga.

The pools are as follows:-

Pool A

Canada
France
Japan
New Zealand
Tonga

Pool B

Argentina
England
Georgia
Romania
Scotland

Pool C

Australia
Ireland
Italy
Russia
USA

Pool D

Fiji
Namibia
Samoa
South Africa
Wales

Will you be watching?  

Great article in the Waikato Times tonight about the AB's being the biggest cheats going - wonder if the guy is actually a Kiwi.  They go into this having lost their last 2 matches and they are in the same group as France, who have knocked them out in 2 previous world cups. Think

My son is going to get tickets for the England vs Scotland match - my budget just won't stretch that far but should be a great game.

cmon yeah England!

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
[ Last edit by Bevc August 31, 2011, 11:15 AM ] IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11 AM »

I'm kind of a bit new to rugby, but will try to watch this one. Hope England gets it.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:19 AM »

I'm kind of a bit new to rugby, but will try to watch this one. Hope England gets it.

England should have been based in Christchurch but the earthquake in February put paid to that.  They are now based in Dunedin, which someone here (NZ not MW lol ) has said that they should feel at home there.  I guess they would if home was Scotland fainting  Great new stadium down there though. yes
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:31 AM »

Like I said, I'm just starting to get into rugby. Who would you identify as favourites. As I could see, England is considered too be behing the AB's, Australia and South Africa.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:39 AM »

Like I said, I'm just starting to get into rugby. Who would you identify as favourites. As I could see, England is considered too be behing the AB's, Australia and South Africa.

If the AB's don't win, there are going to be some seriously upset people over here!

I think the favourites over here are those you mentioned with France being thrown in there too, and in this order:-

AB's
South Africa
Australia
France
England

I don't think any of the above teams have played well in recent tours or Tri-nations over here but the RWC is something different.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Will SOO be watching yay Been looking forward to this for the last year Very Happy So excited for it to start-shame it will mean turning nocturnal for a while Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:23 PM »

At least this is something to look forward to now that the USO is nearly over.
And Scotland kick off against Romania on Saturday. yay
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:01 PM »

At least this is something to look forward to now that the USO is nearly over.
And Scotland kick off against Romania on Saturday. yay

One of the last teams to arrive apparently.  Some of the England team had a look around the AMI stadium in Christchurch yesterday - it's where they should have played most of their matches but the earthquake in February put paid to that.

Tournie kicks off tomorrow (Friday evening NZ time, Friday morning UK time) with the AB's vs Tonga.  From what I understand, they will both be doing a haka and at the same time.  dontknow  I'm thinking that the home nations need to do something like that too. lol  We've come up with Morris dancing for the English team, Riverdance for the Irish team, Scottish dancing for the Scottish team but I'm not sure what the Welsh team can do - do they have any special kind of dancing? Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 06:07 PM »

Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:23 PM »

One of the last teams to arrive apparently.  Some of the England team had a look around the AMI stadium in Christchurch yesterday - it's where they should have played most of their matches but the earthquake in February put paid to that.

Tournie kicks off tomorrow (Friday evening NZ time, Friday morning UK time) with the AB's vs Tonga.  From what I understand, they will both be doing a haka and at the same time.  dontknow  I'm thinking that the home nations need to do something like that too. lol  We've come up with Morris dancing for the English team, Riverdance for the Irish team, Scottish dancing for the Scottish team but I'm not sure what the Welsh team can do - do they have any special kind of dancing? Very Happy
Dunno - but they could form a choir!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:27 PM »

Hadn't thought of that! lol

As the NZ anthem is sung in Maori, English and then the haka, we need another song for the home nations too. Think  Land of hope and glory comes to mind for the English team, Danny Boy for Ireland.  I'm not sure for Scotland and Wales dontknow
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 07:51 PM »

Bevc Welsh is "Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau"  "Land of my fathers." Also sung at games is "Myfanwy" Hear them sung at the Cardiff stadium and  you will cry.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:53 PM »

Hadn't thought of that! lol

As the NZ anthem is sung in Maori, English and then the haka, we need another song for the home nations too. Think  Land of hope and glory comes to mind for the English team, Danny Boy for Ireland.  I'm not sure for Scotland and Wales dontknow
Absolutely nae problems - "Scotland the Brave!"
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:40 PM »

Then we're all sorted now! Very Happy

Apparently Tonga and NZ have tossed a coin for doing the haka first and Tonga will go first, putting down a challenge to NZ and they will respond.

Bevc Welsh is "Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau"  "Land of my fathers." Also sung at games is "Myfanwy" Hear them sung at the Cardiff stadium and  you will cry.

Wales are playing at Hamilton - a stones throw from where I work.  Will look out a picture on google maps.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 09:43 PM »

Apparently Tonga and NZ have tossed a coin for doing the haka first and Tonga will go first, putting down a challenge to NZ and they will respond.
That should be quite a sight!

Where are Scotland playing?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 26 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »