Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  RWC 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 26 Go Down Reply
Author

RWC 2011

(Read 7410 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 09:44 PM »

Scotland are playing in Invercargill for most of their matches and Eden Park vs England.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 09:46 PM »

Fri Sept 9
A
New Zealand v Tonga
Auckland
Eden Park
Sat Sept 10
B
Scotland v Romania
Invercargill
Rugby Park Stadium
Sat Sept 10
D
Fiji v Namibia
Rotorua
Rotorua International Stadium
Sat Sept 10
A
France v Japan
Auckland
North Harbour Stadium
Sat Sept 10
B
Argentina v England
Dunedin
Otago Stadium
Sun Sept 11
C
Australia v Italy
Auckland
North Harbour Stadium
Sun Sept 11
C
Ireland v USA
New Plymouth
Stadium Taranaki
Sun Sept 11
D
South Africa v Wales
Wellington
Wellington Regional Stadium
Wed Sept 14
D
Samoa v Namibia
Rotorua
Rotorua International Stadium
Wed Sept 14
A
Tonga v Canada
Whangarei
Northland Events Centre
Wed Sept 14
B
Scotland v Georgia
Invercargill
Rugby Park Stadium
Thurs Sept 15
C
Russia v USA
New Plymouth
Stadium Taranaki
Fri Sept 16
A
New Zealand v Japan
Hamilton
Waikato Stadium

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/mm/Document/Tournament/Destination/02/04/03/92/2040392_PDF.pdf
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51 PM »

Scotland are playing in Invercargill for most of their matches and Eden Park vs England.
Had better look for that on the map. Knowledge of NZ geography non-existent. Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51 PM »

A map of where Waikato Stadium is (bottom left hand corner) and I work near the river, just off Liverpool Street.

* Waikato Stadium.PNG (645.38 KB, 558x461 - viewed 117 times.)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52 PM »

Had better look for that on the map. Knowledge of NZ geography non-existent. Very Happy

Invercargill bottom of South Island - will feel like they are in Scotland I'm told Very Happy and Eden Park is in Auckland.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 10:27 PM »

Going to any games Bev? I'm not. I'll watch most of it on TV but not than bothered about going as the ticket prices are really ridiculous, and obviously I've been out of work while all the individual match tickets have been on sale. And there's no interesting looking games to me (ie, England games) in Wellington.

Would love to go to England - Scotland in Auckland though - my Dad has managed to get a free corporate box ticket through work and for another Eden Park game, Australia against someone from memory. By coincidence it just so happens I'm going to be in Auckland that weekend.........
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 10:33 PM »

I think the cheapest ticket for the Scotland vs England match is $100 but wonder what view you get for that.  Would love to see that match as that would complete my home nations viewing.  I think that the cheapest Wales vs Samoa seats are $123 at Waikato stadium - can watch a whole England test match for that price Very Happy  I will make do with tv Alex - besides, I miss the commentary lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 11:17 PM »

Invercargill bottom of South Island - will feel like they are in Scotland I'm told Very Happy
They will, if the street names are anything to go by!

"Many streets in the city, especially in the centre and main shopping district, are named after rivers in the United Kingdom, mainly Scotland. These include the main streets Dee and Tay, as well as those named after the Tyne, Esk, Don, Thames, Mersey, Ness, Yarrow, Spey, and Eye rivers."

Scotland given a taste of home in warm welcome on arrival at Invercargill [Mail, 7 Sept]

Scotland were given a rousing reception on their arrival in New Zealand ahead of Saturday's World Cup Pool B opener with Romania in Invercargill.

Head coach Andy Robinson and his 30-man squad arrived at the southern tip of New Zealand's south island from their training camp on Australia's Gold Coast.

They were met by a crowd of more than 500, including senior figures of the local community, Maori warriors, school children, a piper and numerous members of the public wearing kilts, Scotland jerseys and waving the Saltire.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2034634/RUGBY-WORLD-CUP-2011-Scotland-arrive-Invercargill.html

[ Last edit by Aileen September 07, 2011, 11:28 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 11:38 PM »

This is so sad -

Johnson leads tribute to earthquake-hit Christchurch as England visit scene of devastation [Mail, 7 Sept]

Three days before England should have been opening their Rugby World Cup campaign in Christchurch, Martin Johnson led a red rose delegation on a goodwill visit to the earthquake-torn city.

The AMI Stadium, formerly known as Lancaster Park, had just been given a £30million facelift but the two main stands have sunk into the ground.

A decision is yet to be taken on whether the stadium needs to be demolished.

'When you see such a severe quake, it is not about rugby. It is tragic,' said Johnson, as he stood on the stadium's damaged field. 'When we saw what happened in February, we knew rugby wasn't top of the agenda. We just go and play somewhere else - for the people here it is home.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2034564/Rugby-World-Cup-England-team-visit-Christchurch.html

IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 07:59 AM »

Come on England!! Looking forward to the match on sunday Smile
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 08:28 AM »

Saturday night here so Saturday morning your time. Smile

Good to see we've named our strongest starting team, bar Ben Youngs who is just back from a bad knee injury. Important to start off strong and whoever wins this match should probably win the group with the other one's clash with Scotland deciding 2nd. Very important to win the group else NZ await the runners up in the quarter final.

Youngs could be a big loss as he's been one our best players over the last year and his backup Danny Care is not even in the squad due to injury so we're starting with our 3rd choice scrum half and the other backup has no caps. I don't know what it is but something about having a guy named Wigglesworth just doesn't inspire confidence. lol

The annoying thing about this tournament is that there's so few teams who are any good and you can look at the full draw now and write down the whole thing up to the semi finals with near certainty. There's very few games that look interesting in the group stage - I mean, for the opening game of NZ vs Tonga tomorrow the betting agencies are only talking about whether NZ will win by above or below 50 points. There's generally only ever 1 group where there's 3 teams going for the 2 spots to go through and that's our group this time, and it's a pretty good group actually with no certainty over which of the 3 will win the group. Compared to the football World Cup where the gap between the big boys and the weaker sides is not as vast and you always get several surprise teams going through and big teams knocked out early etc. You'd never get the previous champions going out in the group stage in the rugby for instance. Only thing that's ever certain in the football is Germany in the semi finals. Even Brazil sometimes go out early.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 08, 2011, 08:42 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 08:35 AM »

I'm glad to see Jonny in the team.  Don't worry Alex, he'll sort them out whip
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 08:45 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised to see Jonny start as Flood has been pretty good as first choice recently. But apparently Jonny has found some top form of late (I don't have any access to domestic European rugby here,).
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 10:58 AM »

Ta Alex, I was thinking I'd have to investigate the time lol
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 11:10 AM »

No worries. 8.30pm here so should be 9.30am Saturday for you. Smile

My brother is going to the big opening party at the Auckland waterfront tomorrow night. Music and fireworks then the All Blacks game on the big screen etc. Thinking I might head into town on Saturday night to the 'Fanzone' to watch the England game on the big screen. Would like to watch it at home but depends who else is home and whether I'm able to get control of the TV - noone else in the house is the slightest bit interest in sport and I've just bought the sports channels myself for the football season. Probably only a once in a lifetime thing to be living in a country with a World Cup happening so as I'm not going to any game I think I should get out and experience it properly rather than alone in the lounge. lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 26 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »