Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  RWC 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 26 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: RWC 2011  (Read 5841 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 06:16 PM »

lol

Pity they didn't price the tickets more for the home crowd though.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #46 on: September 09, 2011, 12:36 AM »

Invisible; Arrived in N.Z. in 1963 when I was 13.
But the guid Scots blood still runs strongly in your veins! yes

I really like watching the Hakas.  It makes the players all look and sound so fierce. nervous

Excuse my little trip down memory lane here, but I came across this video on YouTube of highlights of the All Blacks vs Scotland QF in the 1987 World Cup - the commentator being the inimitable and greatly missed Bill McLaren, but probably just as poignantly this match was played at Christchurch's Lancaster Park.  The ABs won 30-3.

[ Last edit by Aileen September 09, 2011, 01:13 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #47 on: September 09, 2011, 03:42 AM »

Haven't really been getting that excited about this until yesterday. I guess with being out of work I had other things to think about and was at home every day rather than in town so didn't see anything happening. But starting to see all the flags out and then the England starting lineup being named yesterday has got me pumped up.

Just been for a walk in my lunch break and there's lots of South Africa and Wales fans out and about - they play here on Sunday. Also just walked past that Wales prop with the long curly hair (Jones?) who was with his partner and baby.

Strongly considering getting to a game or 2 now. Wasn't going to but like I said before, once in a lifetime thing to be living in a country with a World Cup. Gutted there's no England games in Wellington but a couple look decent. South Africa-Wales on Sunday night could be good so thinking about it and also Argentina-Scotland in a couple of weeks.

IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #48 on: September 09, 2011, 06:42 AM »

The opening ceremony is under way in Auckland. A mass Haka's ending line was: (Something like)

"Come! Gather together. It has ended."

AILEEN:

I'm a "Kiwi that talks funny" (Still got the accent -- they reckon the Scots never lose their accent and, after 47 years away, I'm starting to believe the bas----s!) Until I hear the pipes -- or watch Braveheart again -- when something irrepressible and undeniably "Back Hameish" swells up in me and I know, without doubt, in my heart-of-hearts, I'll always be a Scot!  Bagpipes

IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #49 on: September 09, 2011, 07:05 AM »

Dave Dobbyn -- A Kiwi iconic rock star -- has just completed 3 songs sung to a packed venue of all nations.

Thought you might like to peruse the lyrics to his, well known, opening song:

WELCOME HOME

Tonight I am feeling for you
Under the state of a strange land
You have sacrificed much to be here
‘there but for grace…’ as I offer my hand
Welcome home, i bid you welcome, i bid you welcome
Welcome home from the bottom of my heart
Out here on the edge
The empire is fading by the day
And the world is so weary in war
Maybe we’ll find that new way

So welcome home, see i made a space for you now
Welcome home from the bottom of our heart
Welcome home from the bottom of our hearts
Keep it coming now - keep it coming now
You’ll find most of us here with our hearts wide open
Keep it coming now - keep on coming now
Keep it coming now - keep on coming now

There’s a woman with her hands trembling - haere mai
And she sings with a mountain’s memory - haere mai

There’s a cloud the full length of these isles
Just playing chase with the sun
And it’s black and it’s white and it’s wild
All the colours are one

So welcome home, i bid you welcome, I bid you welcome
Welcome home, see i made a space for you now
From the bottom of our hearts   
[ Last edit by tomthoms September 09, 2011, 07:23 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #50 on: September 09, 2011, 07:07 AM »

Yes tomthoms, I feel the same. I'm Welsh wherever I am. The land somehow gets into your blood. I hear a Welsh male voice choir singing Myfanwy and I'm lost!
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #51 on: September 09, 2011, 07:13 AM »

The Finn brothers -- Tim and Neil. Both of Split ENZ and Crowded House fame -- are performing now.
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 07:20 AM »

Yes tomthoms, I feel the same. I'm Welsh wherever I am. The land somehow gets into your blood. I hear a Welsh male voice choir singing Myfanwy and I'm lost!

"Home is where the heart is" I suppose, no matter where you were reared, that adage rings true in the heart of most people.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #53 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22 AM »

Not sure if my brother is there or not. He said he was going to try and get there at 3pm to get in and I've texted him to see if he made it in but he hasn't replied. Decided I'm definitely going to the fanzone for the England game tomorrow night and what the hell, going to South Africa-Wales and Argentina-Scotland otherwise I'll regret it if I don't go to a single game.

Don't know what it is, but I didn't care that much about all this until the last couple of days and now I really want to throw myself into the whole thing. Although I've always been a football man, the rugby world cup has given me one of the most joyous memories of my life and THAT drop goal in 2003 is one of only 3 occasions I can recall myself, my Dad and my brother all jumping around the same room at the same time going berserk and hugging each other. We support 3 different football clubs, with varying degrees of success and who all hate each other so sport with us usually involves arguments and swearing at each other. Or snide comments on Facebook now I live far away.lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 07:32 AM »

Gosh, Tongan supporters getting into party mood in Hamilton this evening - in fact we gave up working from about 4 pm as they were making that much racket!

This was part of the welcome at Auckland airport - the Tongans that is.

IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #55 on: September 09, 2011, 07:33 AM »

Cool memory, Invisible!

Get yourself out there and create some more in an environment that can never exist again!

"Well, son, back when I was young, during the 2011 RWC,  I left the house and went down town to............

How can you tell it, if you don't do it?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #56 on: September 09, 2011, 07:35 AM »

Not sure if my brother is there or not. He said he was going to try and get there at 3pm to get in and I've texted him to see if he made it in but he hasn't replied. Decided I'm definitely going to the fanzone for the England game tomorrow night and what the hell, going to South Africa-Wales and Argentina-Scotland otherwise I'll regret it if I don't go to a single game.

Don't know what it is, but I didn't care that much about all this until the last couple of days and now I really want to throw myself into the whole thing. Although I've always been a football man, the rugby world cup has given me one of the most joyous memories of my life and THAT drop goal in 2003 is one of only 3 occasions I can recall myself, my Dad and my brother all jumping around the same room at the same time going berserk and hugging each other. We support 3 different football clubs, with varying degrees of success and who all hate each other so sport with us usually involves arguments and swearing at each other. Or snide comments on Facebook now I live far away.lol

We'll be watching the England games though I'm not that bothered about watching them in town.  Have a friend that has a huge home cinema room - maybe I should cosy on up to her lol  Enjoy yourself Alex Very Happy
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 08:56 AM »

I'm confused with the time zones, when is the kick-off, please? Very Happy
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #58 on: September 09, 2011, 09:16 AM »

8:30pm NZ
9:30am UK

(New Zealand is 11 hours ahead of United Kingdom)

Fixtures and kick-off times:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/fixtures/poolstage.html

[ Last edit by tomthoms September 09, 2011, 09:22 AM ] IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: RWC 2011 « Reply #59 on: September 09, 2011, 09:33 AM »

Tonga Kicks Off!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 26 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »