Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Syncronised Swimming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Syncronised Swimming

(Read 1314 times)
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « on: April 29, 2010, 11:00 PM »

Tomorrow is the first day of the Syncronised Swimming (syncro for short since that's a bit of a mouthfull...) British Championships.
There are quite a few parts to the competition, duets, solos, tech and free teams and combo teams. The teams events are pretty much the most impressive ones.
Technical and Free Teams
Tech teams are a three minute routine with eight swimmers, where certain technical elements have to be included in a certain order, or else the team gets marks taken off.
Free teams again have eight people, buy can be up to four minutes long and can be choreographed however the coach chooses.
After the routine has been performed eight judges rank it out of ten, 4 focusing on artistic impression and 4 focussing on the technical merit of the routine. The two events are equally weighted and the two scores are combined, giving an overall winner.  
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:02 PM »

Tomorrow is the first day of the Syncronised Swimming (syncro for short since that's a bit of a mouthfull...) British Championships.
There are quite a few parts to the competition, duets, solos, tech and free teams and combo teams. The teams events are pretty much the most impressive ones.
Technical and Free Teams
Tech teams are a three minute routine with eight swimmers, where certain technical elements have to be included in a certain order, or else the team gets marks taken off.
Free teams again have eight people, buy can be up to four minutes long and can be choreographed however the coach chooses.
After the routine has been performed eight judges rank it out of ten, 4 focusing on artistic impression and 4 focussing on the technical merit of the routine. The two events are equally weighted and the two scores are combined, giving an overall winner. 

Are you taking part in all of these, Emma?
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:05 PM »

Are you taking part in all of these, Emma?
I myself am not swimming in any of them because of my shoulder injury but the squad that I'm in are competing in all three team events, and then some members are doing solos and some are doing duets.

For the Tech team, our music is Single Ladies by Beyoncé, the Free Team is music from Slumdog Millionaire and the Combo team is Egyptian themed.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:06 PM »

I myself am not swimming in any of them because of my shoulder injury but the squad that I'm in are competing in all three team events, and then some members are doing solos and some are doing duets.

For the Tech team, our music is Single Ladies by Beyoncé, the Free Team is music from Slumdog Millionaire and the Combo team is Egyptian themed.
I hope you're team do well.  yay  Let us know. 
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:10 PM »

Combination Teams
This is how it sounds, it involves a combination of things, but the major difference between this and the others is the fact that not everyone in the water must be swimming, and there are ten swimmers, not eight. It must include, pieces performed together as a team, a solo section, where only one person swims whilst the others swim at the sides, and one or more duet sections, where only two members swim at any one time. Last year it had to be 5 minutes long, but this year it has to be 4:30.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:11 PM »

Yay .... I found the Water Sports thread ....

Is any of this going to be televised?  I love synchronised swimming ...
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:12 PM »

I hope you're team do well.  yay  Let us know.  
Thankyou.
The GB team, and the Chinease National team have come to give us a display, and a club from Bejing and a club from Italy have actually come to compete, although no one stands a chance if tonights practice is anything to go on, the bejing team were incredible!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:13 PM »

Combination Teams
This is how it sounds, it involves a combination of things, but the major difference between this and the others is the fact that not everyone in the water must be swimming, and there are ten swimmers, not eight. It must include, pieces performed together as a team, a solo section, where only one person swims whilst the others swim at the sides, and one or more duet sections, where only two members swim at any one time. Last year it had to be 5 minutes long, but this year it has to be 4:30.
I can't even begin to imagine how hard that is to achieve.  I love to swim, but I'm just a breast stroke fan, on my own.  So... do have two swimmers have to swim in synchronicity for 4.30 mins? 
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:14 PM »

Yay .... I found the Water Sports thread ....

Is any of this going to be televised?  I love synchronised swimming ...
No I don't think so. Channel Four would be the place to look for it since they have done it before, but it's often on at rather obscure hours, and it certainly won't be live...

And, me too Daisy, me too! yay
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:19 PM »

I can't even begin to imagine how hard that is to achieve.  I love to swim, but I'm just a breast stroke fan, on my own.  So... do have two swimmers have to swim in synchronicity for 4.30 mins? 
No, not exactly, it's more like two swimmers have to syncronise for about 40 seconds and then eight or so have to syncronise for about 3 minutes... It's in noway easy and people often assume it's an easy or girly sport.

If you want to look into it, the best teams to watch on YouTube are the Russian team and the Spanish team. The Russians are technically perfect, and I genuinely mean perfect, they generally get three or more tens, but the Spanish are artistically incredible, probably more excitng for someone who doesn't know the sport to watch.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22 PM »

I shall explain duets and solos if anyone would like, but they are essentially the same as the teams, only with only one or two people. And everyone does a tech solo/duet and then only the top eight or ten can qualify to perform their free duet/solo. The technical elements are also different to the team ones, and the routines are only between two and a half abd three and a half minutes long, free routines being the longer ones.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 11:39 PM »

This is Spain, and it's a Free Team, and guess who saw this one live... 

It looks like it's on fast foward at one point but I promise you it's not...
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41 PM »

This is a Combination Team... Good old GB, nothing by comparison really...

IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 11:44 PM »

Jenna Randal and Olivia Allison... Saw them today, Jenna has a stress fracture in her spine apparently so the reserve has to swim...

IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Syncronised Swimming « Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 11:54 PM »

This is a Combination Team... Good old GB, nothing by comparison really...

Oh my goodness the Spanish people that have commented in it were veery critical!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »