Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  The World Cup Football 2006. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the Cup this year?  (Voting closed: June 09, 2006, 02:24 PM)
ENGLAND - 12 (40%)
Germany - 2 (6.7%)
Brazil - 11 (36.7%)
Argentina - 0 (0%)
The Netherlands - 1 (3.3%)
Italy - 0 (0%)
Spain - 0 (0%)
France - 1 (3.3%)
Czech Republic - 1 (3.3%)
Other - 2 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 40 Go Down Reply
Author

The World Cup Football 2006.

(Read 16370 times)
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 09:15 PM »

I dont think England will play them in the finals, it will be during the semis most probably. We will beat them this time. We have the best midfield in the world. The best defence in the world. Three good strikers and a good goalkeeper.
All we have to do is make sure Ashley Cole sticks to Ronaldinho as only he can.I remember Cole doing it versus Portugal with Ronaldo. We can penetrate their weak defence very easily. We've got a Becks by the way.

I think you mean "Figo" instead of Ronaldo. As for best midfield and defence in the world? Hmm not so sure. Defence in England is very strong. Lampard and Gerrard are two high quality players, but i don't think beckham matches the high standards of those two, although he is good. As for the goalkeepers.....Strikers, yes, very good, but no where near as good as brazils. Carlos is very good for them, as as Ronaldinhio and Ronaldo of course. Gonna be very very hard to beat. If England are to beat Brazil, then they will have to pile the pressure on and get the early goal. If they go behind they will collapse.
IP Logged
XCW4EVA
Challenger Level

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 10:09 PM »

Ronaldo is well past it, His skills can blag some things but his weight is letting him down
He is alrite in La Liga where defence are not brilliant  but at the world cuo he is gonna have a nightmare, i more worried about ronaldinho and Adriano,

I doubt Ronaldo will start many games for brzail because he is to unfit to play 90 minutes of high tempo football
IP Logged
rochelle
Top Seed

Andy and Jamie

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 10:13 PM »

was it Ronaldo who nearly died during with world cup ? when he nearly swolled his tounge ? that was awful
IP Logged
XCW4EVA
Challenger Level

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 10:16 PM »

I don't think so, that happened quite a few times,
Now that was really bad
Its Strange that people can actually die on a football pitch really such as Marc vivien Foe
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 11:38 PM »

Yeah Ronaldo had in incident before the 98 final where he swallowed his tongue, he still played was awfu.
And it was Ronaldo who Cole shut out of the game in Euro 2004, he really had an extraordinay game.
As for who is going to win, well as always the heart says England, but the head says not a chance. Can't see us getting past the 2nd round tbh, especially as we will most likely be playing Germany in the last 16. Head says Brazil. Wouldn't be suprised if we don't make it out of the group.
IP Logged
arka
Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 07:23 AM »

eh hello?! The Olympics? The Commonwealth Games!? Much better! The Football World Cup is just one sport anyway! Frankly it sucks. (ok so i'm a little frustrated scotland didn;t make it AGAIN!)

No way, Olympics is pretty amateurish barring the track and field events. And frankly speaking I dont like any event which considers Taekwondo and Synchronised swimming in its list and not dear old rugby. But none the less I like the Olympics. Its just that the Football world cup is much better.

No offence to fans of taekwondo and sync. swimming. I dont mind them but everyone has to agree that Rugby is more popular.
[ Last edit by arka March 27, 2006, 07:49 AM ] IP Logged
arka
Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 07:30 AM »

I think you mean "Figo" instead of Ronaldo. As for best midfield and defence in the world? Hmm not so sure. Defence in England is very strong. Lampard and Gerrard are two high quality players, but i don't think beckham matches the high standards of those two, although he is good. As for the goalkeepers.....Strikers, yes, very good, but no where near as good as brazils. Carlos is very good for them, as as Ronaldinhio and Ronaldo of course. Gonna be very very hard to beat. If England are to beat Brazil, then they will have to pile the pressure on and get the early goal. If they go behind they will collapse.

No I mean Ronaldo. I distinctly remember Cole rendering him useless. As far as being the best midfield in the world. Yes England has it. And you are very wrong if you say that Becks is of poorer standard than SteveG. Becks is fast returning into a force that he once was. Even yesterday that guy created two goals.Beckham is of higher quality than both the central midfielders, but those too are too good two. The only problem is that Lampard and Gerrard dont click and have never together produced a good display in a same match.
[ Last edit by arka March 27, 2006, 07:47 AM ] IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 08:53 AM »

shocking I missed this thread for some reason...

I think Brazil will win. As much as i want good ol' Anglais to win, i think this year's not for them.
Generally i think England/Germany etc may have the players, with the exellent odd defenders/attackers but overall i think the Braziliansl have a sense of unity and a sort of united force (ok sounds dumb.. but i can't describe it properly)  Think I think with that they can take on anyone
IP Logged
arka
Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 09:06 AM »

If this is not our year then when?? I dont think a South American team will win because they dont do here in Europe.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 10:19 AM »

Too many people dislike Sven Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
XCW4EVA
Challenger Level

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 11:36 AM »

I think u defo mean Figo coz, Ronaldo was still playing in the Under 21's at that time wasn't he??
Anyway yeah cole did shut out at right fielded Portugal player, I remember Figo got subed around 70th minute and had a hissy fit
He just walked off the pitch by the goal and didn't even shake his players hand coming off just took off his shirt and went down the tunnel.
I feel people who dislike sven, and for very good reason, personally i prefer someone who shows a little bit of passion
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 12:23 PM »

Lol^ It was Ronaldo, not Figo. Ronaldo was Portugal's best player in the tournament. Figo did also have a shite game that day.
IP Logged
arka
Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 02:36 PM »

Too many people dislike Sven Rolling Eyes

They do. But personally I feel he is the best coach we could have had. Hope Sam Allardyce wants to replace him.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 04:13 PM »

Olympics is pretty amateurish barring the track and field events.

I'm sorry, WHAT?!!

So you're saying that people like Michael Phelps and Ian Thorpe and Pippa Funnell and Jason Queally and Catalina Ponor and Leslie Law are amateurs? That they just do their sports for a bit of fun? Surely thats a massive insult.
IP Logged
crookshanks
Challenger Level

Re: The World Cup Football 2006 « Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 04:35 PM »

No way, Olympics is pretty amateurish barring the track and field events. And frankly speaking I dont like any event which considers Taekwondo and Synchronised swimming in its list and not dear old rugby. But none the less I like the Olympics. Its just that the Football world cup is much better.

No offence to fans of taekwondo and sync. swimming. I dont mind them but everyone has to agree that Rugby is more popular.

I'm sorry, but how could anyone call the Olympics amateurish? And it's not because rugby is more popular than  ther sports that rugby should be part of the Olympics and other sports shouldn't. It's great for sports like synchronised swimming because they'll get a bit of publicity.
And the World Cup is definetely not the best sporting event in the world! It only involves 1 sport and there aren't that many countries that participate! The Olympics is MUCH bigger and better, with so many more different sports and people involved.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 40 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »