Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  USA to launch 2018 WC bid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

USA to launch 2018 WC bid

(Read 1490 times)
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

USA to launch 2018 WC bid « on: February 20, 2007, 06:35 PM »

The United States Soccer Foundation (USSF) are planning to launch a bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

The federation are to form an organising committee during their annual meetings in Los Angeles this weekend.

While the aim is to capture the 2018 nomination, the USSF will also market themselves to FIFA as an alternative for the 2014 event if a South American country is not ready.

The US hosted the World Cup in 1994 in what was seen as an attempt to foster football in the last major market where it was not already a primary sport.

RTE Sports Link

no I would rather England. Not soccer land
[ Last edit by MurrayMountain91 February 20, 2007, 06:37 PM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:14 PM »

After the shameful behaviour of the English FA and their broken gentlemen’s agreement with Germany in bidding to host the 2006 World Cup Finals, I hope the US get’s the green light on this one.

Send a message to the cads and bounders at Lancaster Gate that their lies, treachery and deceit has not been forgotten or forgiven.

USA!  USA!  USA!
 yay
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 20, 2007, 08:17 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:26 PM »

America has better stadia. And I thought they made a good job of the '94 World Cup. Probably easier for me to follow matches (time-zone wise) if it's in England though so I would personally go for England.  Little tongue man
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:35 PM »

If they had it here... I could... go... to... some... matches!!!!!!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:02 AM »

Wouldn't be fair. They only just had in 1994, surely someone who hasn't had it for a much long time (ie, England haven't had it since 1966 and are considering a bid) or someone who has never had it at all should get it rather than someone who had it only 20 odd years ago. Would be similar to Mexico getting it in 1970 and then again in 1986, ridiculous.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:01 AM »

It would be more fair for the US to host it than any European team if it is moved from Africa.

European countries have hosted it in 1982, 1990, 1998 and 2006.

CONCACAF teams hosted it in 1986 and 1994.

Asian countries hosted the world cup in 2002

If it is to go anywhere it should be a South American country they have not hosted it since Argentina in1978.

[ Last edit by AL1874 February 21, 2007, 01:03 AM ] IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:04 AM »

Wouldn't be fair. They only just had in 1994, surely someone who hasn't had it for a much long time (ie, England haven't had it since 1966 and are considering a bid) or someone who has never had it at all should get it rather than someone who had it only 20 odd years ago. Would be similar to Mexico getting it in 1970 and then again in 1986, ridiculous.

America gets everything. Just like the olympics
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 01:28 AM »

America gets everything. Just like the olympics

The last time a US city hosted the Olympic games was 1996, since then Sydney, Athens, Beijing and London have been awarded the games. So how do the US cities always get awarded the Olympic games? 4 times out of 28 for the US is not excessive.

London will have hosted the summer games three times, more than any other city is this fair?
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 21, 2007, 01:28 AM ] IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 01:29 AM »

Yes..but remember. I wouldent make fun of London and am bias against America.   dance

And your wrong. America hosted in 2002. Salt Lake. So seriously. America got 2 in the last 15 years. More than anyother. yes
[ Last edit by MurrayMountain91 February 21, 2007, 01:30 AM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 02:09 AM »

Yes..but remember. I wouldent make fun of London and am bias against America.   dance

And your wrong. America hosted in 2002. Salt Lake. So seriously. America got 2 in the last 15 years. More than anyother. yes

Yes it is a travesty that a UK & NI city has never been awarded the winter Olympics.

If you look I listed summer Olympiads, it is false to bring winter games into the equation due to the restricted geographical locations open to these events and you are still wrong, countries do not get awarded Olympics, cities do.

London has had more Olympics awarded to it than any other city in the world.

If we are going to get pedantic when you mention America getting everything I take it you are talking about the continental landmass, because obviously you would have said the United States of America or the US / USA if you were talking about a specific country. 

As for England hosting the World Cup that would be a European Country hosting 3 out of the last 4 competitions, a lot less fair than the US getting it.
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 21, 2007, 02:28 AM ] IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 04:11 AM »

I dont see it as Europe getting it. I see it as England. I dont care much for Europe
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 04:51 AM »

As for England hosting the World Cup that would be a European Country hosting 3 out of the last 4 competitions, a lot less fair than the US getting it.

Hang on a minute,

Korea/Japan 2002
Germany 2006
South Africa 2010
South America 2014 (in all likelihood with FIFA wanting to rotate continents, and the previous 3 had been Asia, Europe, Africa)
Europe 2018

Please explain the Europe having "3 of the last 4" comment in more detail.
2014 should be going to South America, if it doesn't then 2018 must. If 2018 goes to Europe, many of the "major" footballing nations have had it relatively 'recently.' That is, Germany 2006, France 2002, Italy 1990, Spain 1982. England won't have had it for 52 years, so surely have to be one of the favourites if it goes to Europe.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 08:46 AM »

Hang on a minute,

Korea/Japan 2002
Germany 2006
South Africa 2010
South America 2014 (in all likelihood with FIFA wanting to rotate continents, and the previous 3 had been Asia, Europe, Africa)
Europe 2018

Please explain the Europe having "3 of the last 4" comment in more detail.
2014 should be going to South America, if it doesn't then 2018 must. If 2018 goes to Europe, many of the "major" footballing nations have had it relatively 'recently.' That is, Germany 2006, France 2002, Italy 1990, Spain 1982. England won't have had it for 52 years, so surely have to be one of the favourites if it goes to Europe.

Sorry my mistake I was getting two stories mixed up, there was / is concerns about South Africa’s ability to host the 2010 world cup finals due to security issues and infrastructure problems, and it has been muted about the 2010 finals being relocated in a different location.

These have been denied by FIFA, but that is where the three in four numbers for Europe comes from.

FIFA is made up of UEFA (Europe), CONCACAF (North, Central America and the Caribbean), AFC (Asia), CAF (Africa), CONMEBOL (South America) and Oceania.

If it is rotating CONCACAF, Asia and Oceania would be due to host it before a return to Europe so that would push it out to 2022 at the very least. Oceania can not be ruled out after the Sydney Olympics proved they could successfully host a major sporting event and they are the only confederation never to have hosted the finals.

As for England not hosting the finals for 52 years, a Scandinavian / Nordic country has not hosted it since Sweden in 1958 and an Eastern European country has never held the finals are they not more valid contenders than England? But England will be one of the favourites if it is to come to Europe.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 09:12 AM »

I dont see it as Europe getting it. I see it as England. I dont care much for Europe

It is this insular arrogant attitude held not only by yourself but the English FA that has cost England in the passed and may do so again in future.

When English football was desperately seeking to regain credibility on the international stage in the wake of the post-Heysel ban from European club competition, the F.A. promised to support Germany's World Cup 2006 bid in exchange for Germany's support for England's bid for the 1996 European Championship.  Germany delivered in full, and England won the right to host Euro '96.

However they went back on the deal and set up a counter bid to Germany and lost the support of the majority of Europe, and with it any hope of hosting the 2006 world cup finals. Their deceit and lies might come back to haunt them once more when 2018 voting takes place if European delegates have long memories.
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 21, 2007, 09:15 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: USA to launch 2018 WC bid « Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 09:55 AM »

If it is rotating CONCACAF, Asia and Oceania would be due to host it before a return to Europe so that would push it out to 2022 at the very least. Oceania can not be ruled out after the Sydney Olympics proved they could successfully host a major sporting event and they are the only confederation never to have hosted the finals.

As for England not hosting the finals for 52 years, a Scandinavian / Nordic country has not hosted it since Sweden in 1958 and an Eastern European country has never held the finals are they not more valid contenders than England? But England will be one of the favourites if it is to come to Europe.

Yes Australia certainly could host it, although I don't see it going there any time soon for some reason.
And true about the likes of Sweden and Russia. They should also be very valid contenders for the next Europe world cup. Somehow I see England as being more likely to be given it than Russia, but perhaps that's fuelled by bias. Countries like those 3 mentioned should certainly be having it before the USA next do anyway IMO.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »