Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  World Cup 2010 Qualification 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Reply
Author

World Cup 2010 Qualification

(Read 8583 times)
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #105 on: September 12, 2008, 02:09 AM »

I forgot to mention how many teams from UEFA qualify - it's 13! Despite UEFA having 5 times as many teams as anyone else in the top 32 in the world.
Don't get me wrong, I understand some teams, from exotic parts of the world, add to the 'experience' of a world cup, but surely its unfair for them to take the place of far stronger nations?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #106 on: September 12, 2008, 02:27 AM »

It's a tough one because it is the "World" Cup so we have to make sure teams from every part of the world have the opportunity to be there. Otherwise it just becomes like an American "World Series" where the rest of the world are not allowed to enter. But it does annoy me that teams like USA and Mexico for example effectively have an automatic spot at every World Cup because they don't have to play anyone of any notable quality in qualifying aside from each other. Then time and time again they get embarrassed when they go to the World Cup because they are not really good enough to be there - and part of this probably results from the lack of opportunities against, for lack of a better word, "proper" teams aside from pointless friendlies.

Asia getting 4 automatic spots and a possible 5th (5th placed Asian team will have a playoff against the winner of Oceania this time - always going to be New Zealand for lack of any credible oppoostion) is probably 1 or 2 too many considering the quality of teams that come out of there. North America get 3 automatic and a possible 4th (playoff with 5th South American team). Given the general quality of teams, I think perhaps 2 automatic spots for them and the 3rd going into a playoff might be better. Similarly for Asia, 3 automatic spots and the 4th having the playoff would be better (while the quality of NZ/Oceania is pathetic, it is part of the world so they have to at least have the playoff opportunity). Then there's 2 extra spots for Europe which might be fairer given the relative quality of teams.

Australia moved from Oceania to Asia after last time to have a better chance of qualifying. They were always going to win Oceania with no trouble but they kept losing the playoff to the 5th placed Asian or South American teams every time because beating teams like Papua New Guinea and American Samoa 25-0 or so don't give any sort of preparation for facing one of those good sides. Since they moved continents, I've always thought we should follow suit and move to Concacaf for an easy route. lol
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 12, 2008, 02:31 AM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #107 on: September 12, 2008, 02:48 AM »

My problem is not so much England, more the other home nations (although Scotland look good for qualifying this time anyway). Northern Ireland and Wales are better then half the CAF, AFC and CONCACAF sides. In fact, no Asian team is ranked higher then Northern Ireland!
I don't think it's a problem giving a majority of places to UEFA - remember everyone still has a theoretical chance to qualify - the same as now when a country like Andorra with no realistic chance of qualifying can't complain that it's like the American World Series, because they could qualify. They're just not good enough!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #108 on: September 12, 2008, 04:43 AM »

How many more places would you suggest giving to UEFA then? And where would you take them away from?

As I said above, I would certainly take 1 away from both Asia and CONCACAF. Maybe even another from Asia and just give them 2 automatic spots and a playoff. South America currently get 4 plus a playoff and I think that's fair enough because at least their top 3 teams are usually going to be good enough to get through the group stage. Although they do only have 10 teams in total so they if the 5th wins the playoff, they are getting half of the whole continent in the tournament! So maybe you could take one way from them and have 3 plus the playoff, or even abolish the playoff aswell.

Africa I coudn't take any away from. 53 teams, the same as Europe, and just 5 places, less than half of what Europe get. Plus the teams that come out of there are usually quite good.

So how many more could I give Europe based on all that?

Remove 2 automatic spots from Asia.
Remove 1 automatic spot from CONCACAF.
Remove 1 automatic spot from South America.
Possibly also abolish the playoff between a South American and CONCACAF team.
Leave Africa as it is.

So I could see a maximum 4 or 5 more places for UEFA. This could allow a better qualification chance for teams like Scotland, Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Greece who tend to miss out despite being superior to teams like China, Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica, Paraguay who always seem to be there.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #109 on: September 12, 2008, 08:45 AM »

Yup, that sounds more fair. I just wanted it to more accurately reflect the top teams. I'd actually give 4 to South America, 2 to CONCACAF, 4 to Africa and 3 between Asia and Oceania, leaving 18 for Europe, and one for the hosts.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #110 on: September 12, 2008, 03:53 PM »

I agree. Its very unfair!
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #111 on: September 12, 2008, 11:26 PM »

Does anyone else think the allocation of places for the world cup is a bit unfair? In the top 32 of the latest FIFA world rankings there are 20 teams from UEFA. That's besides for UEFA making up 8 of the top 10, and all of the top 5 (although that last thing is quite a recent development with the under-performing of Brazil and Argentina). I'd say UEFA should get a good few more places.
As an England fan, this hasn't affected me really, since England have qualified for the 3 world cups I remember, and hopefully will do it this time (no need to remind me about the Euros!), but as someone who likes seeing all the home nations doing well, I hate seeing Asian and Caribbean crap playing ahead of obviously superior nations from UEFA.

Like Scotland!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #112 on: September 16, 2008, 12:56 AM »

Anyone following the qualification process on other continents?
IP Logged
Jameselaprendi
Challenger Level

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #113 on: September 16, 2008, 01:27 AM »

Have followed some of the African games.

There are many teams in Africa I feel would tank the likes of Scotland (and im the biggest die hard scotland disciple around) who are ranked way lower than us.

IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #114 on: September 16, 2008, 07:59 AM »

Aswell as England I've obviously followed what's happening with NZ, but not really much interested in the other areas.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #115 on: September 16, 2008, 09:13 AM »

Oceania have been messed around a bit in the last few years, no? Thinking they'd get a guaranteed place, then that being withdrawn, then Australia leaving. And wasn't there also an option for the oceania winners to join the last group stage of asia instead of a simple playoff?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #116 on: September 16, 2008, 11:11 AM »

I'm not sure about joining the last group stage of Asia but they definitely had an automatic spot taken away. I think they were going to have an automatic spot last time but then New Zealand went to the Confederations Cup and got totally embarrased by the might of Japan and Columbia and a strong French side thrashed them at walking pace so FIFA quite rightly decided the region did not warrant an automatic World Cup spot. Somehow NZ had beaten Australia in the Oceania Cup that year to qualify for the Confederations Cup - I think mainly because the competition was in NZ and NZ had all their key players come back (ie, Ryan Nelsen, Simon Elliot and various others in Europe/USA) while Australia had a very inexperienced side with noone like Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer etc coming. Oceania does still have an automatic spot at all other levels though so, with Australia moving to Asia, that's why in the last year or so we've been seeing NZ at the Olympics and U20/U17 World Cups etc (while not even managing to register a goal in a couple of them).

So once the spot was revoked Australia decided to switch to Asia for the next campaign having been fed up at losing the playoff every time. It will be pretty funny if Australia come 5th and the crucial game ends up being Australia-NZ again but I imagine Australia will be in the top 4. So as this switching continents boll**ks is allowed I don't see why we can't change to CONCACAF for a guaranteed spot. lol
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 16, 2008, 11:15 AM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #117 on: October 11, 2008, 01:00 PM »

Going to a pub to watch the Scotland game, good luck to all the home nations. Smile

It's 50p a drink at Curlers until Scotland score apparently, let's hope for a last minute winner then. Very Happy
IP Logged
bestofbarry
Seed

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #118 on: October 11, 2008, 02:09 PM »

Going to a pub to watch the Scotland game, good luck to all the home nations. Smile

It's 50p a drink at Curlers until Scotland score apparently, let's hope for a last minute winner then. Very Happy

Haha amazing!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: World Cup 2010 Qualification « Reply #119 on: October 11, 2008, 05:51 PM »

How did Iwelumo miss that? Argh!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »