Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  FIFA World Cup 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 39 Go Down Reply
Author

FIFA World Cup 2010

(Read 8238 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #465 on: June 27, 2010, 11:19 PM »

Happy days mate - it's nice having a vested interest on some of the games, must admit. It's made the WC a bit more exciting for me.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #466 on: June 27, 2010, 11:21 PM »

I'm $75 up from what I originally put in the account so not sure I fancy any more match betting. Might just leave it and hope Higuain comes through. lol

Or maybe a small multi bet on the quarter finals or something.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #467 on: June 27, 2010, 11:23 PM »

If my multi's for Ro16 come in, I'll be delighted.

Already up £110 from today. Having bets on the go always makes sport more interesting.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #468 on: June 28, 2010, 06:06 AM »

Ok. Not for money, but how about a title change?

Rules:

1) Bet is only valid if both players make it through to face each other in the QF
2) Bet is not valid if either player withdraws before or during the match

It would be in the semi-final, but that sounds fine.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #469 on: June 28, 2010, 10:50 AM »

2 teams with dodgy defences,

I am really bored of sweeping unfounded statements like this. Yes Dimichemlis is wobbly and had a nightmare against South Korea. But they have conceded 2 goals in 4 games ffs. How is that a dodgy defence?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #470 on: June 28, 2010, 10:51 AM »

I think with Otamendi at RB, they're a lot more solid.

Best defence I've seen all tournament is probably Uruguay's actually, they've been very impressive.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #471 on: June 28, 2010, 12:18 PM »

They've played a couple of very poor teams in Nigeria and Greece and still looked shaky. Demichelis in particular has always been absolutely abysmal. To be fair, we only conceded 1 in 3 before today and I wouldn't have said our defence/goalkeeper was solid.

Ozil and Muller will tear them apart and Germany will win by 3 again IMO.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #472 on: June 28, 2010, 12:20 PM »

How has Demichelis been abysmal? He made one mistake against Korea and that's been it - he played very well last night, thought Burdisso was the shakier of the CBs last night actually.

No chance Germany will win by three. Very Happy
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #473 on: June 28, 2010, 12:30 PM »

Abysmal may be the wrong word, but I meant he's always been poor everytime I've seen him, not just this tournament.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #474 on: June 28, 2010, 12:34 PM »

Whenever I've watched Bayern in the Bundesliga, he's been commanding - only game I've seen him really struggle was against Milito in the CL final.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #475 on: June 29, 2010, 12:36 AM »

The Spain-Portugal game is going to represent everything that is bad about football. The amount of cheating, diving, rolling around, face holding, moaning and imaginary card waving at the referee is going to be very painful to watch.

Only good thing about this one is that one of these teams will be out. Pity they can't both lose.
IP Logged
grandslamandy
Junior

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #476 on: June 29, 2010, 01:13 AM »

The Spain-Portugal game is going to represent everything that is bad about football. The amount of cheating, diving, rolling around, face holding, moaning and imaginary card waving at the referee is going to be very painful to watch.

Only good thing about this one is that one of these teams will be out. Pity they can't both lose.
I disagree slightly, portugal maybe will do alot of play acting especially from CR he's prob the worst for it, but spain have been great to watch so far for me, they play a very similar style to barca, they keep possesion and play good football, when xavi and ineista play together spain look like force, just depends on whether torres and villa are on they're game! tough game to call for me, maybe spain edging it in extra time!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #477 on: June 29, 2010, 11:31 AM »

FIFA president as apologised for disallowed goal and will reopen the goal line technology debate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8771294.stm
[ Last edit by Mark June 29, 2010, 01:40 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #478 on: June 29, 2010, 11:42 AM »

That's the UEFA president Marcus, not the FA president.

At the highest level of sporting competition, this technology needs to be implemented (Champs League, Europa League, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, World Cup finals)
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #479 on: June 29, 2010, 11:43 AM »

If the technology is there to give the referee an indication (via a beep in his ear or something) within a second or so then there really is no excuse not to use it. This one wasn't even close to be honest, from whatever angle it was clearly in even in real time, same as Medes at Old Trafford the other year. I woke up my flatmates and probably neighbours, first with the celebration, then with a string of expletives I can't remember, but probably beginning with F and C. In this particular instance, it was confirmed to the whole world within about 5 seconds once a replay was shown so I'm not sure what big delay it would have made.

Not that it's any excuse, we were terrible and thoroughly deserved to lose, and even if the equaliser had been given we'd still have been beaten in the 2nd half. But going into half time 2-2 having come from 2-0 down would surely have changed the game a little bit, at least we probably wouldn't committed almost every player forward to their penalty box chasing a goal to get caught on the counter attack a couple of times anyway.

It's no excuse for the result, but if the right tool is there then there really is no excuse not to use it. I can understand not using replays for things like offside or handball as they can often be difficult to know either way and could hold things up for a long time. In rugby and rugby league the game often gets held up for 5 minutes or longer and they still can't decide whether it's a try or not (although I suppose in rugby the ball spends most of the time off the pitch and out of play anyway so you don't really notice additional delays), and with replays in use the refs tend to go to it for almost every single try for fear of making some sort of mistake somewhere, especially in league. But if some sort of chip or sensor can instantly say whether the ball is over the line, as we are led to believe exists, then I don't see why it can't be used.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 29, 2010, 11:47 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »