Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  FIFA World Cup 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 39 Go Down Reply
Author

FIFA World Cup 2010

(Read 8049 times)
grandslamandy
Junior

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #75 on: June 01, 2010, 03:21 PM »

I hear wallcot is not going either...but wright phillips is! doesn't matter anyway, when england go out thats where their excuses will come from.......they missed wallcots pace or bent's phsyical presence up front etc...etc! i honestly think england will do well but quarters maybe semis at best! but that still won't be good enough for them!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #76 on: June 01, 2010, 11:31 PM »

Extremely ordinary squad and I doubt whether we'll even make the quarter finals with these players. Capello has bottled it big time IMO. Going to find it hard to support a squad when I'm struggling count 1 hand worth of players I don't hate.

Walcott didn't deserve to be there based on this season, but neither does Wright-Phillips who can't get a game at his club and generally looks very poor when he does, and his club team mate who plays ahead of him on both wings gets left out. He takes Warnock when he never gave him a minute on the pitch and preferred Baines in every friendly. No Parker but a half-fit Barry.

Bent scores 25 goals in the season but he takes Heskey who has a similar number of caps but less goals than Higuita and Chilavert. Only game-changer is Joe Cole, and he's just spent most of a season injured.

Anyway for the first game I'd go with:

Hart
Carragher Ferdinand Terry A.Hole
           Carrick    Lampard
Lennon      Gerrard     Milner/J.Cole (undecided)
                  Rooney

However, Capello will go with:

Green
Johnson Ferdinand Terry A.Hole       
Lennon Lampard Gerrard J.Cole
       Rooney      Heskey

Seen it all before. It wasn't good enough then and it won't be good enough now.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #77 on: June 01, 2010, 11:43 PM »

Whenever I see your posts like that I keep on thinking that you should be the Arsenal or England manager. lol
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #78 on: June 01, 2010, 11:57 PM »

Walcott and SWP are both really ****.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #79 on: June 02, 2010, 12:15 AM »

I don't necessarily agree they are sh*t, but based on this season they both had poor seasons and neither deserve to be there. Absolutely devastated for Theo but on the positive side, it's the first time since he joined us that he will actually get a summer off and have a full pre-season with us. It's been going off to U21 championships half fit and things that have ruined his last couple of seasons. This should give him the kick up the arse he needs to push on next season.

Then again, it wouldn't be a World Cup without an England injury crisis with days to go to the first game so I'd be shocked if 1 of the guys left out today doesn't eventually end up going. We haven't had the metatarsal yet...
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #80 on: June 02, 2010, 02:49 AM »

The argument for Heskey seems to be that it helps Rooney hugely - isn't there some stat that Rooney scores four times as many goals in games with Heskey then without?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #81 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38 AM »

Or could it simply be that in the last year or 2 through leading the line for his club, probably in the post Ronaldo era, Rooney has now developped into the complete centre forward, a proper number 9, as opposed to the player who used to be a bit of a headless chicken trying to do everything in every area of the pitch and generally not being a prolific scorer. It just so happens that this period of development has coincided with Heskey being recalled to the England scene.

With the squad we have there's no way we should be starting the first game in the 4-4-2 that Capello favours. Rooney up front with Gerrard in the number 10 role is the way to make best use of what we have.

IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #82 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22 AM »

It's not simply a case of comparing now to a couple of years ago. Heskey has missed quite a few games recently as well.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #83 on: June 03, 2010, 10:36 PM »

Anyone hear about the North Koreans trying to get around the 3 keepers rule?

It's a FIFA rule that you must name 3 goalkeepers in your 23 man squad. To try and take an extra outfield player they named one of their strikers as their 3rd choice goalkeeper, thinking this was a pretty clever way to only take 2 keepers. Given the likelihood of them playing more than the 3 group games is pretty non-existent, they are unlikely to need to use a 3rd keeper.

However FIFA have now confirmed that as he was named as a goalkeeper, he will only be allowed to play as a goalkeeper and cannot play as an outfield player. The rules are you have to name 3 keepers and as he was named as a keeper, he's in the squad as a keeper. roflmao

Also Giovanni Dos Santos has apparently withdrawn from the Mexico squad in protest of his brother being left out. lol
IP Logged
grandslamandy
Junior

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #84 on: June 03, 2010, 11:22 PM »

is anyone doing the virtual sticker album thing?!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #85 on: June 04, 2010, 12:28 PM »

Then again, it wouldn't be a World Cup without an England injury crisis with days to go to the first game so I'd be shocked if 1 of the guys left out today doesn't eventually end up going. We haven't had the metatarsal yet...

And as if on cue, Ferdinand does his knee in the first training session. You couldn't write this stuff!
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 04, 2010, 01:01 PM ] IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #86 on: June 04, 2010, 05:10 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8722236.stm

Bad bad news if you're an England fan...
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #87 on: June 04, 2010, 05:25 PM »

On the plus side, I love Stevie G Smile
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #88 on: June 04, 2010, 05:26 PM »

'Anyone, but England'..... EEK - did I just say that?  Embarassed
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #89 on: June 05, 2010, 11:18 AM »

Tut tut TUT. I was trying to explain to some English friends the other day why people in Scotland and Wales think like that and they just couldn't understand it. I was trying to explain that it's (generally) not vicious - it's just a cultural thing...but no, couldn't get their heads around it. I do sort of see their point - in this day and age it would be nice if everyone could just show a bit of support for their fellow Brits....(though obviously not in rugby!!!!!!!!!).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »