Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  FIFA World Cup 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 39 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2010  (Read 7097 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #45 on: April 01, 2010, 10:39 PM »

Bojan has sort of lost his way, doesn't see much gametime nowdays, still young though.

Pedro on the other hand, brilliant wee player.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #46 on: April 01, 2010, 11:08 PM »

They both played when I went to Camp Nou a few months ago. Amazing stadium. Bit bizarre right at the top with 0 cover. Vertigo inducing even.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #47 on: April 01, 2010, 11:30 PM »

Never been, my dad was there to see Rangers versus Barcelona and says it was a bit of a dump inside, but an impressive building.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #48 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39 AM »

Truly INCREDIBLE lack of Scots in this thread, funny that...

For your entertainment, here is my final 23, and also I don't care if Heskey and Rooney work well together, as if I was Capello, Heskey would be nowhere near the national squad....

Green, Hart, James

Terry, Rio, Upson, A Cole, G Johnson, Lescott, Baines, Woodgate

Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Carrick, Lennon, Milner, Young, A Johnson

Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Agbonlahor

Also, to clarify, I hate Walcott with a passion. I am a Reading fan so little bias can be shown against any players/teams here.  Whistle

Woodgate still plays then?  I'm so out of touch with English football players, which I find hard to believe since there aren't so many of them about Whistle
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #49 on: April 02, 2010, 10:22 AM »

Never been, my dad was there to see Rangers versus Barcelona and says it was a bit of a dump inside, but an impressive building.

Yeah it's not like a show off, imacculate bowl like Emirates/Wembley etc but it's still amazing.

Though it does look like an immense slab of concrete and nothing more from outside. Nou Camp is something any self respecting football fan should experience once though!
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #50 on: April 02, 2010, 04:32 PM »

I've been outside never inside. Sat in the front row at the Bernabeu though, and had a meal in their restaurant. They have elevators to the top tier!!!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

The FIFA World Cup of 2010 « Reply #51 on: May 26, 2010, 12:37 PM »

It's almost here, this fine showpiece and Wimbledon - summer working at Argos might be tolerable for once.

The groups :

Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
Group B - Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece
Group C - England, U.S.A, Algeria, Slovenia
Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana
Group E - Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
Group F - Italy, Paraguay, NZ, Slovakia,
Group G - Brazil, Ivory Coast, Portugal, North Korea
Group H - Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile.

Personally, I think it's between Spain and Brazil, with England and Argentina outside favourites. Germany and Holland don't have enough quality for me to win it, despite having some outstanding players between them (Snejider, Van Persie, Gomez, Lahm)

The reason I think Argentina are outside favourites is because of Maradona, his record as coach is pretty poor to be quite honest, and leaving out Cambiasso (best holding midfielder in the world) is absolute madness - Maradona is a loose cannon, and despite having a forward pool of Aguero, Milito, Messi, Tevez - I think having such an inexperienced and temperamental manager will cost them dearly.

I think England will make the semi-finals, possibly the finals if the key players are firing on all cylinders. I feel that England are slightly reliant on Rooney for goals, where as teams such as Spain, Argentina, Brazil have 5 or 6 players who can be matchwinners at this elite level.

As for top goalscorer, I'll be boring and say Villa ; Spain have some easy opponents in their group and I can see Villa raping a fair few defences.

My outside shout would be Diego Milito, if he is played (Maradona seems to prefer Messi and Tevez upfront, who could blame him?) or perhaps Luis Fabiano of Brazil (despite some tough teams in their preliminary group)

Rooney is in with a shout too - I can see England horsing Algeria and Slovenia.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: The FIFA World Cup of 2010 « Reply #52 on: May 26, 2010, 11:53 PM »

At 33/1, Drogba might not be a bad little flutter for top scorer. Just think of him against those North Koreans! He does have to play Brazil and Portugal though, but there won't be much defence going on in that group.

Villa would have to be favourite though looking at Spain's group.

Agree it looks to be between Spain and Brazil. Although I would never count out Italy. They won it last time with a fairly poor side and they have a pretty comfortable draw up to the quarter finals this time around.

Can't see a semi final for us to be honest. Outside of Rooney the quality just isn't there. Expecting the usual quarter final loss on penalties. We've got a pretty kind draw up to that point (as long both us and Germany finish in the same positions in our respective groups so we don't get them in the 2nd round) but once there you just know a key player will get injured and someone will get sent off etc and everything will play out as per the norm. We're not strong enough in goal and I think the first good side we come up agains will kill us down our right side with Johnson and Walcott/Lennon.

I think it will all be quite predictable to be honest. There will be a couple of upsets in the 1st round - the hosts might defy the odds and beat Mexico in the opening game or France, or NZ or North Korea might shock the world and pick up a point. Netherlands will as usual excite everyone until the quarter finals when they comprehensively beaten by a big side (likely Brazil this time). A surprise team or 2 will make an unexpected run to the quarter finals (looking at the draw I'm picking it could be Nigeria/South Korea/Greece this time - ie, the runner up of group B).

But once we get down to the semi and final, it will be the usual teams, and perhaps Spain as they have a pretty good draw up to the semi final.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: The FIFA World Cup of 2010 « Reply #53 on: May 27, 2010, 01:00 AM »

I hope Henry gets a leg broken at this. Just sayin'
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: The FIFA World Cup of 2010 « Reply #54 on: May 27, 2010, 01:07 AM »

I hope Henry gets a leg broken at this. Just sayin'

You Irish?
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: The FIFA World Cup of 2010 « Reply #55 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52 AM »

No, I just hate cheats. Do you like cheats?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The FIFA World Cup of 2010 « Reply #56 on: May 27, 2010, 10:00 AM »

Yep, couldn't decide whether to support France or Germany, but then I remembered how France qualified.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: The FIFA World Cup of 2010 « Reply #57 on: May 27, 2010, 11:32 AM »

Well, I support Schumacher these days so I guess that could apply to me, but generally, I think Thierry Henry is a pretty classy guy.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: The FIFA World Cup of 2010 « Reply #58 on: May 27, 2010, 11:36 AM »

I think he is a ****.

Lost all respect I had for him.

It's just funny how they had to resort to that against a team like Ireland. How the **** any of them are willing to play in the same team as him after this is beyond me. If a Reading player did the same I'd be ******* embarassed.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #59 on: May 27, 2010, 11:51 AM »

What's the difference between this thread and the other?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »