Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  FIFA World Cup 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2010  (Read 7123 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #555 on: July 11, 2010, 10:40 PM »

^ It was a tribute to a Spanish footballer who died of a heart attack at age 26, I believe.

Best team deifinitely won.  The Dutch were a bit of a disgrace in the first half, but I don't think Mr. Webb's refereeing helped, either. 
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #556 on: July 11, 2010, 10:52 PM »

Ah right, still trying to find a photo on the Internet.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #557 on: July 11, 2010, 11:16 PM »

Torres's glass hamstrings strike again.

Spain deserved to win, Netherlands tried to kick them off the ball and it worked, to an extent.

Iniesta is the best midfielder on the planet, a sublime footballer.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #558 on: July 11, 2010, 11:54 PM »

I wanna know what Inesta's under shirt says! I'll find a pic and get google translate in the case...

The t-shirt was a tribute to Dani Jarque who died last year of a heart attack.  He played in the under 21 Spanish team with Iniesta.  The t-shirt read: 'Dani Jarque: Siempre con nosotros', which means 'always with us'.

Ramos also wore a tribute t-shirt for Antonio Puerta who died in 2007 of a heart attack.  I remember watching that match and hoping he would be OK when he left the pitch.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #559 on: July 12, 2010, 12:04 AM »

Thanks, that's quite moving really.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #560 on: July 12, 2010, 10:04 AM »

This is shite, bring back un-sanitised club football, month to go.

True dat.

When Reading played Premiership teams last season in the cup, we didn't just park the bus like about 10 of the teams in the World Cup have done.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #561 on: July 13, 2010, 12:57 AM »

I absolutely despair at Spain winning the "Fair play award." Takes the piss more than Ryan Giggs winning player of the year for a handful of substitute appearances.

Only Uruguay came close to them in the cheating and diving at this competition, not even Portugal. Was there 1, just 1 occasion in the whole tournament where a Spanish player went down and didn't wave an imaginary card at the referee? To be fair it's mainly the Barcelona players although Capdevilla did possibly the worst one to get someone sent off. Absolute bunch of ***** with their "Barca DNA."

Iniesta was one of the few I actually quite liked before the tournament but that's all gone now. Worst diver and card waver of the lot. There's nothing I hate more than that.

Can't stand Real Madrid but their players at least conducted themselves with a bit of respectability. Can't believe Wenger backed of the Alonso deal over a couple of million. Frown

IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #562 on: July 13, 2010, 11:25 AM »

"Barca DNA" hahah. Bitter Arsenal fan much.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #563 on: July 13, 2010, 11:51 AM »

You would be too. It's not just this year, we've had it for 10 years now every ******* year since Vieira was in his prime, then it was Henry and we're all absolutely sick of them. If you want to buy a player, contact the club through the official and legal means and submit and formal offer. There are rules against tapping up players, why are this club immune to them? You stated publicly "we will respct Arsenal's position." You were told publicly "he has 5 years left on his contract, and therefore is not for sale." End of story, **** off with your forcing shirts on him and your "he belongs here because he has Barca DNA" nonsense. Use one of your youngsters to warm the bench instead.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #564 on: July 13, 2010, 12:12 PM »

Anyway, what are all our memories of the World Cup?

Personally, my 4th World Cup having been too young to be interested in 90 and 94 and probably the worst one in terms of entertainment. Whether it was the ball or whatever, not too many games were that great and the long range shooting was fairly abysmal. Forlan was the only one to really master the Jabulani.

Player of the Tournament: For me it was Schweinsteiger. Muller and Ozil got the headlines, but Pig Climber was the main man for the Krauts. Losing the aging Ballack and moving him to the centre was the best thing that could have happened to them. Special mentions to Forlan, Iniesta, Gyan, Muller, Ozil. I actually don't rate Sneidjer much. He's got a good shot but that's about it, he refuses to pass and can't dribble and beat players. Saw a brilliant quote from someone the other day, "he's the Inzaghi of midfield - awful player but always scores."

Goalkeeper of the Tournament: Tough one as noone was that brilliant. I didn't think Casillas was that great until the last couple of games. I liked Stekelenberg, but the best ones were probably a couple who went out early like Eduardo and Handanovic. Special mention to Paston.

Goal of the Tournament: Not many screamers, probably due to the ball. Has to be Van Bronckhorst in the semi final with special mentions to Shabalalalalalalala with the tournament's first goal, Gyan's winner against the Yanks and a couple of Forlan's.

Howler of the Tournament: There's only 1 Robert Green. Special mention to the Algerian keeper against Slovenia and Cesar against the Dutch.

Game of the Tournament: Not many stood out as brilliantly entertaining. The best were probably the 3rd place and the opening match.

Miss of the Tournament: Yakubu against South Korea was one of the worst ever.

Save of the Tournament: Any of Paston's against Italy or Enyema's against Messi. Probably go for Casillas from Robben for what it ended up meaning.

Villain of the Tournament: Has to be Suarez. Special mention to Melo.

Enduring memories: Vuvuzelas, cheating, bad refereeing and surprise teams going far.

IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #565 on: July 13, 2010, 03:00 PM »

Player of the tournament - Diego Forlan. Thought the guy was phenomenal, he was the heartbeat of the team and seemed to lead the line, yet create and take set-pieces with ease. Work rate was extremely impressive though, a majestic player. Mueller and Villa would be my 2nd and 3rd.

GK of the tournament
- no one really impressed me if I'm brutally honest, Neuer was solid and reliable, probably him.

Goal - GvB, no shadow of a doubt, it was right in the postage stamp, honourable mention to Tevez, as that won me a lot of money.

Howler - Robert Green, compounded my belief that England have no world class goalkeepers, and haven't had one since Spunky Seaman.

Game
- Uruguay v Ghana, that really shows you how pish the event was as a whole

Miss - Yakubu, sums up a striker whose career has been ravaged by injuries

Save - Enyeama had several acrobatic stops against Argentina and Greece, entertaining to watch.

Villain - The vuvuzela.

Enduring memories
- The BBC trying to patronise us with African history lessons at half-time, Alan Shearer visiting an African shanty town as if he was Louis Theroux, what a f**king tube.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #566 on: July 13, 2010, 04:22 PM »

Strange to think what a laughing stock Forlan was when he was at United.

As a whole, I found this World Cup so uninteresting. Add the persistent cheatfest culture that football has become and it failed to deliver on so many levels.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #567 on: July 13, 2010, 04:25 PM »

I absolutely despair at Spain winning the "Fair play award." Takes the piss more than Ryan Giggs winning player of the year for a handful of substitute appearances.

Only Uruguay came close to them in the cheating and diving at this competition, not even Portugal. Was there 1, just 1 occasion in the whole tournament where a Spanish player went down and didn't wave an imaginary card at the referee? To be fair it's mainly the Barcelona players although Capdevilla did possibly the worst one to get someone sent off. Absolute bunch of c**ts with their "Barca DNA."

Iniesta was one of the few I actually quite liked before the tournament but that's all gone now. Worst diver and card waver of the lot. There's nothing I hate more than that.

Can't stand Real Madrid but their players at least conducted themselves with a bit of respectability. Can't believe Wenger backed of the Alonso deal over a couple of million. Frown

Indeed. Iniesta is a fantastic player, but a disgusting little cheat.

Same goes for Robben, although he's not as good at doing the non-cheating stuff.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #568 on: July 13, 2010, 05:32 PM »

Player of the Tournament: Villa, Iniesta, Muller, Ozil, Forlan, Robben novelty mention to Kevin-Prince Boateng

Goalkeeper of the Tournament: Neuer, Kingson, Muslera

Goal of the Tournament: Tevez's boot turning into a rifle against Mexico.

Howler of the Tournament: Green or Yakubu

Game of the Tournament: Ghana-Uruguay

Miss of the Tournament: Yakubu

Save of the Tournament: Kingson from Alitdore

Villain of the Tournament: Suarez. Entire Greece side for their dire, embarassing, sickening display of cynical gamesmanship for 90 minutes against Argentina. Argentina had nothing to play for and Greece could have got through, but their manager didn't really seem to give a sh*t tbh.

Enduring memories: Vuvuzelas, New Zealand, icredibly sh*t matches where neither team looked like they could be arsed to win, Ghana, the last minute of Ghana-Uruguay
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 « Reply #569 on: July 13, 2010, 05:36 PM »

Muslera? roflmao
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »