Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  2012 pundit's predictions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

2012 pundit's predictions

(Read 732 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

2012 pundit's predictions « on: January 16, 2012, 05:26 PM »

The team (Gilbert, Cahill, Drysdale, Fernandez, etc.) were all going around making "bold" predictions a few minutes ago on ESPN2 during their opening coverage and here were a few:

Chris Evert: Venus wins a major in 2012 (as well as Sharapova)
Darren Cahill: Americans (both men and women) will be shut out in slams this year
Cliff Drysdale: A women outside the top 10 will win the Australian Open (meaning Serena or Clijsters will win )
Mary Jo Fernandez: Murray will win Wimbledon this year
Brad Gilbert: Murray will win TWO majors this year and will ascend to No. 1

The prophet has spoken!
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 January 16, 2012, 08:33 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 tennis pundit's predictions « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:05 PM »

The team (Gilbert, Cahill, Drysdale, Fernandez, etc.) were all going around making "bold" predictions a few minutes ago on ESPN2 during their opening coverage and here were a few:

Darren Cahill: Americans (both men and women) will be shut out in slams this year
Cliff Drysdale: A women outside the top 10 will win the Australian Open (meaning Serena or Clijsters will win )
The prophet has spoken!

Oh, I saw that and was very annoyed with it. Brad did say that his son specifically warned him not to make any predictions on Andy as he's been wrong a few times in the past, but Brad went and did it anyway. It's not completely out of the loom as anything can happen, but it's not the most logical one. Besides, Brad's quite the jinxer though I think he truly believes in it and wants it to be true and one of these days, he might just get it right.

But they were asked to make bold predictions and so there they are.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: 2012 tennis pundit's predictions « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:23 PM »

I doubt Andy shall have a Novak year this year, he still needs to get the first one in.
But if he does, there's always 2013 for all of that  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: 2012 tennis pundit's predictions « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Chris Evert is bonkers.  Venus is finished.  Hopefully so is Serena because she's the worst sports personality ever to play the wonderful game of tennis and should now be serving a 12 month ban if the authorities had any spine.  So, I hope Cahill is right.

Brad Gilbert is not bonkers. If Any wins AO yes he'll win another this year and so yes he'll be No.1

As far as the women at AO any one of about 20 could win it - unfortunately this includes Serena
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:48 PM »

Nothing like a bit of fun speculation.  Let's see where we are this time next week.  Andy discussion is bound to be better informed.

All the tennis people feel Andy will win a slam because they all have seen often enough how incredibly talented he always has been.  No teenager has zoomed through at the same speed he did in the years since.  Some I think also see this season as possibly a changing of the main rivalry towards Andy v Nole.  This is especially so with Rafa's seemingly more fragile body not to mention mental state.

I don't see the Williams competing at the moment, but IF FIT, and that is a huge big if (literally in Serena's case) either could still win slams because the womens game is so open.  Having said that I don't see someone outside the top 10 winning it either.  For me it is Azarenka, Radwanska, Kvitova or Li Na.  Wozniacki just lacks too much in terms of power and this is her major issue when the big players all turn up.  I would love to see Sam win but I just can't see it.

The Americans have a lot of players in the top 100 but none of them is going to really push through.  I was really impressed with Mattek-Sands last night, she is something a bit different to watch with her tattoos, coloured hair and those long socks.  I wouldn't mind bumping into her I can tell you, I bet she knows how to have fun...Wink

Gilbert still has a lot of affection for Andy.  I think it is the heart ruling the head with him.  I don't know if he can beat Nole at this tournament, but that is why it is all so exciting.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Brad has made a rather far fetched prediction to be honest.. I mean realistically Andy can get back No 3 spot during March and he can obviously win a major this year... I'm trying very hard to not make any predictions here..  I want to see Lendl and Andy's relationship blossom  and unfold gradually throughout this year... We all have huge expectations of the arrival of Lendl to the Murray camp... but we need to give Andy & Lendl more time... we need to see clearly what the "Lendl effect" has done to our Scottish Braveheart...  
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03 PM »

Brad has made a rather far fetched prediction to be honest.. I mean realistically Andy can get back No 3 spot during March and he can obviously win a major this year... I'm trying very hard to not make any predictions here..  I want to see Lendl and Andy's relationship blossom  and unfold gradually throughout this year... We all have huge expectations of the arrival of Lendl to the Murray camp... but we need to give Andy & Lendl more time... we need to see clearly what the "Lendl effect" has done to our Scottish Braveheart...  

Totally agree, let's see how we are after wimbledon.  By then we can assess what difference has been made.  However I can only see it being positive, and it has added a bit of excitement and freshness I feel Andy needed.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:06 PM »

I wouldn't mind bumping into her I can tell you, I bet she knows how to have fun...Wink

yeah  I agree Wink  Whistle
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:41 PM »

The predictions were to be bold though.

If you say Novak is going to win at least two majors, that's not very bold but rather an expected prediction. Bold has to be something totally unforeseen. It's like saying in 2010 that - 2011 is going to be Novak's year and he's going to wipe the floor with almost all the tittles pushing Nadal almost into retiring. He's also going to dethrone Rafa while he is at it.

Now that's bold. If you think about it, even Brad's is not all that bold.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:14 PM »

Brad OTT, let's go for one- the first of many yay
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 05:39 PM »

The prophet has spoken!

Another thread I wanted to visit after this season and OMG - the comms are SO wrong. lolol. What was Darren thinking when he made that prediction? Serena basically wiped the floor with all the major titles since Wimbledon. Brad had the boldest but he's got at least one right. I don't suppose Andy will end this year No. 1 but strange things do happen sometimes.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Mary was so close yet so far Very Happy       

Chris  (the biggest Maria fan ever)  got her wish   lolol

Brad  you are a legend sir.  even though your predictions  are a wee bit off.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 pundit's predictions « Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 02:10 AM »

And what about this one? None picked Andy. None. And here we are.

http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks/_/tournament/11

This is because they are going by the draws and the fact that, Andy had just lost a match to Chardy the week before, but I think they kept the draws in mind the most when they made their predictions. Andy has the toughest draw out of top three. If things pan out the way the draws are, then he will have to beat Raonic, Tsonga, Federer and Djokovic and that's a very tough line-up and he will have to beat them in succession. Also, there's no rest in between semi and final, so realistically Andy has the least chance to win the USO between the top three players.

I wonder what the picks were back in 1990 though. I bet no one imagined even in their wildest dream that Sampras would go and beat that lineup he was faced with to win his first USO and his first GS title. And what about Del Potro in 2009? He had to beat Nadal and Federer back to back under the same schedule format to win his first ever USO title. So of course, there are uncertainties around those predictions and they have the elements to totally mess the draws up and sometimes, if someone’s meant to win it, he will win regardless.  That’s why nothing is 100% predictable and I personally think that it’s a good thing that no one picked Andy to win it. After all, it’s not the first time Andy will be facing a tough draw, so you can’t say he won’t be prepared for it if he isn't already.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »