Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  2013 Predictions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

2013 Predictions

(Read 3441 times)
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21 AM »

The interesting thing about the article is the suggestion that cutting back on the number of tournaments he plays will keep Federer going longer, but the other side of it is that surely it will lose him points, and you have to wonder how 'match ready' he will be in certain circumstances. I mean, clearly he can get through most players with little preparation, but can he keep facing Djokovic, Andy, Delpo and a few others (in Shanghai Wawrinka got so close, and Fed hadn't played much immediately before) without being really ready? I suppose we'll see.
Federer will be desperate to stay in the Top 4 otherwise winning tournaments will get a lot lot harder.  He might be helped by Rafa though as I'm not convinced he'll ever be the same force again - in fact I'm not convinced his career isn't already over.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 03:04 AM »

Federer will be desperate to stay in the Top 4 otherwise winning tournaments will get a lot lot harder.  He might be helped by Rafa though as I'm not convinced he'll ever be the same force again - in fact I'm not convinced his career isn't already over.
I really think Fed is deluding himself if he thinks he can keep pace with the top players whilst sticking to his reduced schedule.

As for Rafa - goodness knows, but he wrote on his Facebook page two days ago:  "My first tennis practice after all these weeks. Getting better and hope to continue with the positive trend."  If he plays at Abu Dhabi, which it seems he intends to do, I can see him seriously struggling.  Practising is one thing, playing against his peers quite another.  He has a bye in R1 but will then meet the winner of Murray/Tipsarevic.  I could be wrong but I think it'll take a miracle to get him playing anywhere near his best just five weeks from now.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 07:29 AM »

I really think Fed is deluding himself if he thinks he can keep pace with the top players whilst sticking to his reduced schedule.

As for Rafa - goodness knows, but he wrote on his Facebook page two days ago:  "My first tennis practice after all these weeks. Getting better and hope to continue with the positive trend."  If he plays at Abu Dhabi, which it seems he intends to do, I can see him seriously struggling.  Practising is one thing, playing against his peers quite another.  He has a bye in R1 but will then meet the winner of Murray/Tipsarevic.  I could be wrong but I think it'll take a miracle to get him playing anywhere near his best just five weeks from now.
Really? From those tournaments in 2012, plus the WTF, he picked up over 8200 points. More than Andy did all season. He's easily capable of staying top 4, which is all that is really important in terms of the big tournaments.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 08:50 AM »

I tend to agree with Aileen, I think Rafa will find it hard to win on the hard courts after such a long lay off, also he will be taking care in the early stages. If he is to make a comeback to his best I think we will have to wait until we get to the clay season.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 06:12 PM »

The only players coming through who look anywhere near as promising as the current crop (top 4) did are Gianluigi Quinzi and Alexander Zverev. And they're only 16 and 15 respectively. So some way before they get anywhere near fulfilling their potential.

Of the current crop, the best of the early 20's are the likes of Raonic, Nishikori, Tomic, Dimitrov and Harrison. Are any of them seriously going to ever hit the levels of the current top guys? Looking at the teenagers, the highest ranked is Jiri Vesely I believe, in the 200's (excluding those born in 1992 here as if they haven't turned 20 yet, they will soon).

This is a special era and I think it will be a while before we see any player hit these heights again. I also think that Andy will win a good few more Slams in his late 20's when the only notable competition will be Djokovic and Del Potro (who is way too one-dimensional to ever challenge Murray and Djokovic consistently. Hell, even Nishikori is able to nullify his game). But we'll see. Yes, the next big thing could come from 'nowhere', but they will be noticed at Junior level first by those who follow that level closely. And right now the only players of serious repute are the two mentioned in the first sentence. Potentially Kozlov (14) too.

Tomic had such a flat year this year and Harrison is still struggling with this game - not finding that range he wants. Can only play 1 or 2 sets of competitive tennis. Nisikori only shines occasionally and Raonic is still very one dimensional. I just don't have enough faith in Dimitrov. He tends to stay too behind the baseline and is not all that versatile. That actually leaves no one to come through in a big way to dominate or at least make a big name for themselves.

The top 4 are dominating the tour since 2008 and I don’t think we’ll see a big change any time soon. If there’s any big change, it will be within the top four. Perhaps, Andy will topple Nole and perhaps, Federer will be out of top 5. And Nadal may even retire. This is a great era for Andy to come through at this point, when he has enormous experience to play against the other top guys and when there are certain situations rising up that can lead to certain opportunities. I definitely see it as a golden opportunity and he has the right coach to guide him as well; the only question is, if Andy is good enough to be there at the top on a more consistent basis and win slams year in year out.   

As to Gianluigi Quinzi and Alexander Zverev - I don't know these players but will keep an eye on things.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #50 on: November 22, 2012, 06:13 PM »

Really? From those tournaments in 2012, plus the WTF, he picked up over 8200 points. More than Andy did all season. He's easily capable of staying top 4, which is all that is really important in terms of the big tournaments.

Federer was very serious about each tournament though and he could afford it too; Andy, on the other hand, not so much. His priorities were very, very different than Federer I’d say.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #51 on: November 22, 2012, 08:50 PM »

Quinzi made his debut on the tour this year as well as climbing to junior #2 briefly, despite being 2 years younger than the rest of the guys he was competing with. He has already made his mark on the Futures circuit. Next year or two will be important for him - if he can continue to progress or goes stale.

As for Zverev, his older brother Mischa was also very promising (reaching the top 50 at a young age) before being heavily restricted with injuries. Their father and mother were both pro tennis players as well, and Alex is seen as more promising than any of them. Already playing on the pro tour and reached his first Futures final last week. Is already ranked higher than some of the most promising juniors who are 17 and 18.

It's way too early to say how they will fare, but they're showing more promise than any of the other juniors in previous years and have faced no problems transitioning to the men's tour.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #52 on: November 22, 2012, 09:02 PM »

Talking of the juniors, I wish we could see more of them as part of TV coverage and so on. It would be good to see more of them so that we get some idea of those who might come through in the future. I remember vividly watching Laura Robson winning junior Wimbledon. It was obvious that she had potential. I wish I'd seen Andy prior to his breakthrough.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how many players have won a slam as a junior and won the same as a senior?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #53 on: November 23, 2012, 12:49 AM »

What period are we talking? All time? Open era? Current players?

It would be interesting to see where all the junior grand slam champions are today.

Here is a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Slam_boys'_singles_champions

From a glance:

Murray (USO 04)
Roddick (USO 2000)
Federer (Wimby 98)
Edberg (Grand Slam 83)
Cash (Wimby, USO 82)
Wilander (French 81)
Lendl (French, Wimby 78)
McEnroe (French 77)
Borg (Wimby 72)

I didn't go back any further than that. Possibly missed a couple as well.

Also Paes (Wimby 1990, USO 1991) who went on to become a Doubles Grand Slam champ.

As for watching it, there are occasionally streams available for some of the bigger Futures tournaments and I know BBC show some of the Wimbledon juniors. I remember watching Broady's run to the final last year and likewise him beating Peliwo this year. I know what you mean about being able to watch more, but I doubt most junior tournaments even have cameras at the matches.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter November 23, 2012, 04:19 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #54 on: November 23, 2012, 01:47 AM »

Talking of the juniors, I wish we could see more of them as part of TV coverage and so on. It would be good to see more of them so that we get some idea of those who might come through in the future. I remember vividly watching Laura Robson winning juni or Wimbledon. It was obvious that she had potential. I wish I'd seen Andy prior to his breakthrough.
I don't know about Futures, but ATP Challenger matches can be watched on free livestream LiveScoreHunter - http://www.lshunter.tv/tennis-live-streaming-video.html - and there's a tournament being shown on there at the moment, the Siberia Cup in Tyumen, which finishes on Sunday, but that doesn't mean the players are 'juniors'.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #55 on: November 23, 2012, 04:42 AM »

I predict Andy to return his attention to the Masters in 2013.. and to gather and reap all his just rewards in 2014.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #56 on: November 23, 2012, 01:09 PM »

What period are we talking? All time? Open era? Current players?.

It was the Open era I was interested in. Thanks for the info.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #57 on: December 30, 2012, 07:43 AM »

Year end prediction:
1. Nole
2. Andy
3 Delpotro
4. Federer
5. Ferrer
6. Berdych
7.Tsonga
8. Raonic
9. Nadal ( Don't know how to call Rafa, totally depends on knee situation and if he wins RG, but I like Nole's chances there whatever)
10. Tipsarevic

AO Andy
RG Nole
Wimbles Andy
USOpen Nole
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: 2013 Predictions « Reply #58 on: January 01, 2013, 10:18 AM »

Year-end :

1 Murray
2 Djokovic