Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Aberdeen Cup 2006 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Linked Events
  • Aberdeen Cup: November 25, 2006
  • Aberdeen Cup: November 26, 2006
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Aberdeen Cup 2006

(Read 13615 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #330 on: November 26, 2006, 11:49 PM »

Hope Greg can play next year.  pray

Glad you enjoyed it, Neil. Smile
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #331 on: November 27, 2006, 12:56 AM »

ooo and another thing! Some boy in the crowd was trying to put greg off with a whistle thingy during his warm up! Greg started playing shots without looking, and trick shots and then some shots where he;d look at the boy first before he coule blow to catch him in the act!  Took everything is such a great spirit! Gave something for the crowd to laugh about as the music that we had played between change of ends and in the warm ups was stopped for the singles match at the end!
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #332 on: November 27, 2006, 06:53 AM »

lol
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #333 on: November 27, 2006, 06:55 AM »

Wonderful pics, Lola!
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #334 on: November 27, 2006, 07:40 AM »

Well done Scotland and great pics!
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #335 on: November 27, 2006, 10:58 AM »

I had a really great weekend. I thought that for the size of the tournament the quality of Tennis was amazing, especially on the Sunday. All the players put everything into it and made an effort to create a gret atmosphere and get the crowd going. Ok, so as predicted it was a bit of a walkover for Scotland. But both the doubles matches were pretty close as were the ladies singles and the junior girls so if some of those had gone the other way it was a much closer competition. 6 1/2 to 1 really wasn't reflective of the competition the English guys put up in the end. James played really well. Served fantastically and I don't know what the others thought but I thought he was let down a little by Greg in the doubles.

Andy and Jamie showed by their performance exactly why they should be our DC doubles team. Jamie admits he didn't play his best (wasn't returning all that great) but they still managed to have the edge over the other pair. And if you saw the number of kids running around, getting excited about tennis and getting autographs from the players. Unbelievable for a place in which tennis has a pretty low profile.

And for the junior guys too. They were signing almost as many autographs as Andy and Greg and, especially on the Saturday, really had the crowd behind them in their matches. The experience they'll have had this weekend is one that can only encourage them to want to play up there with the big guys. Getting to spend the weekend with guys like Andy and Jamie and  Greg and James, not to mention Brad and Judy will be so exciting for them and caould do amazing things for their futures. And none more so than the little Ball boy who got to play a point with Andy in the middle of the big match at the end with the whole crowd behind him. He'll be talking about that for years!

Ok, so there were empty seats. And ok, Sky didn't come to cover it this year (through no fault of the organisers who seemingly complied with all the requirements Sky asked for last year in the hope that they'd come back). Maybe the tickets were a little highly priced and maybe the competition between the teams was a little one sided but how anyone can look at all the things that this tournament does for the sport in Scotland and say that it's pointless is beyond me.

Sorry about that, rant over will post my pics I have from both nights in due course (as Neil noticed I got a little snap happy towards the end on Sunday!) and there's a couple big articles in the local P&J this morning that I'll try and let you see too. All in all a great weekend!
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #336 on: November 27, 2006, 12:48 PM »

Sorry to double post but my brother is currently selling Jamie a suit for the sports personality of the year ceremony as we speak. He works in a pretty fancy mens clothes shop in Aberdeen and the Boss's wife knows Jamie's uncle so they went in this morning to get him a suit. How cool! He's not allowed to take photos or ask for an autograph though. As I said it's a pretty fancy shop and the boss said that would be unprofessional!  Crying or Very sad
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #337 on: November 27, 2006, 01:54 PM »

I had a really great weekend. I thought that for the size of the tournament the quality of Tennis was amazing, especially on the Sunday.

Ok, so there were empty seats. And ok, Sky didn't come to cover it this year (through no fault of the organisers who seemingly complied with all the requirements Sky asked for last year in the hope that they'd come back). Maybe the tickets were a little highly priced and maybe the competition between the teams was a little one sided but how anyone can look at all the things that this tournament does for the sport in Scotland and say that it's pointless is beyond me.

Sorry about that, rant over will post my pics I have from both nights in due course (as Neil noticed I got a little snap happy towards the end on Sunday!) and there's a couple big articles in the local P&J this morning that I'll try and let you see too. All in all a great weekend!

Great review of the weekend, Lorna, and some good points  clap   Good comeback by the organisers
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #338 on: November 27, 2006, 02:00 PM »

Sorry to double post but my brother is currently selling Jamie a suit for the sports personality of the year ceremony as we speak. He works in a pretty fancy mens clothes shop in Aberdeen and the Boss's wife knows Jamie's uncle so they went in this morning to get him a suit. How cool! He's not allowed to take photos or ask for an autograph though. As I said it's a pretty fancy shop and the boss said that would be unprofessional!  Crying or Very sad

That's ridiculous.....fancy or not, what's a wee picture/autograph to the boss.......  no
IP Logged
~Lola~
Challenger Level

Flood me with your words - trust me, I can swim

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #339 on: November 27, 2006, 08:54 PM »

By the sounds of it, Sunday was a pretty good night too. Smile

Here is another video that I took, this time of Greg warming up. If you listen VERY carefully at the start, you can hear Caoimhe saying to me, "wow Greg has made a lot of money.."

IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #340 on: November 27, 2006, 10:12 PM »

ha ha... i heard it..... had a cold Caoimhe?
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #341 on: November 27, 2006, 11:31 PM »

I heard it. She didn;t have a cold as far as i could tell. It's called an Irish accent david . Lol.
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #342 on: November 27, 2006, 11:48 PM »

she sounded congested to me... i KNOW what an irish accent sounds like... Eyebrow raise.

must've been something to do with the camera
[ Last edit by davidB November 27, 2006, 11:48 PM ] IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #343 on: November 28, 2006, 12:23 AM »

It was her normal voice, bear in mind i;ve met her.
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: Aberdeen Cup 2006 « Reply #344 on: November 28, 2006, 01:55 AM »

It was her normal voice, bear in mind i;ve met her.

yea i know... and i didnt know it was her normal voice... so now that we've cleared that up... Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »