Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Andre Agassi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Andre Agassi

(Read 4244 times)
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #210 on: December 30, 2009, 04:47 PM »

Just thought I'd pu a little of my own thoughts into this thread now that I've actually read the book. I got it for my Christmas and it's one of the most fascinating books I've read in a long time. I would absolutely recommend it to any of you if you can get your hands on it. I believe Waterstones are selling it half price.

If you read it, and the context of his admissions you'd realise it's in a most sincere and brually honest account of a tortured soul. He described this moment as one where he hit rock bottom. One where he didn't even know himself, and didn't know where to go next. His career was failing, a career he didn't even think he wanted in the first place, and he was torturing himself over the losses he'd had that were out of his control. His marriage was quickly disappearing down the plughole and he was actually in the very stronghold of a quite deep depression. He was far from 'bragging' about it and he mentions at the end of the book that he wrote it for his kids, and thousands of other kids out there, to help them understand the decisions he made, why they were wrong, and hopefully prevent them doing the same thing.

It's such a harrowing book in places from a man that was loved by millions but not by himself. Read it. It gives an absolutely amazing insight to what it can mean to be a tennis player. To how it feels when you throw away the final of a grand slam. To what types of things can drive you into a downward spiral. To how the pressure and expectation of fans, press and family can actually be. To what it means to be coached by Brad Gilbert!
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #211 on: December 30, 2009, 04:53 PM »

He has always liked the sound of his own voice which was a bit offputting, but he's going to extremes nowadays which is very disappointing.  Maybe he's not getting enough attention at home !!

You obviously have absoluely no idea about who Agassi is. I suppose there are only a handful of people really do but you get a much better idea if you actually read the book.

Go away, read it from cover to cover (not just the shocking extracts the press liked to highlight) then come on here and make your snap judgement.

Cause until you ge your facts straight you haven't go a right to comment cause you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your general ignorance in this thread is astounding.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #212 on: December 30, 2009, 05:57 PM »

You obviously have absoluely no idea about who Agassi is. I suppose there are only a handful of people really do but you get a much better idea if you actually read the book.

Go away, read it from cover to cover (not just the shocking extracts the press liked to highlight) then come on here and make your snap judgement.

Cause until you ge your facts straight you haven't go a right to comment cause you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your general ignorance in this thread is astounding.

It is so obvious you are a school teacher ..... lmao
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #213 on: December 30, 2009, 06:02 PM »

I'd just like to say, from someone who hasn't read the book, he may not have loved himself before but after seeing him in interviews recently, I get the impression he does now.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #214 on: December 30, 2009, 06:03 PM »

He may not have done what before ^ ... ?

EDIT ... Okay - now that you've edited your original post, I understand and agree with what you are saying ...
[ Last edit by Daisy December 30, 2009, 06:06 PM ] IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #215 on: December 30, 2009, 06:13 PM »

I'd just like to say, from someone who hasn't read the book, he may not have loved himself before but after seeing him in interviews recently, I get the impression he does now.

He's deleriously happy these days. He's found something that matters in his life and he's delighted with himself. It took him 32 years of struggle, heartache and depression to find it. The man hated speaking to the media so much that on 3 occasions he left the tornament grounds before his press conference and paid hefty fines rather than face them. Yes he could afford it but he calls it money well spent. Does that sound like someone who loved the sound of his own voice? He spent 10 years being misunderstood by everyone, including himself!

It is so obvious you are a school teacher ..... lmao

What do you mean by that?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #216 on: December 30, 2009, 06:15 PM »

I didn't say that he loved himself previously, I think it's clear that when someone goes to meth, they probably don't love themselvs in the slightest. But after seeing him in interviews since the book, I do get the impression that he considers himself awfully important and thinks everyone should know about his story.

He's a tennis star, he's career is over, would have been nice if he released the book and just left it at that rather than selling himself to the media on a daily basis about his life. I know this because I get his Twitter messages, it's starting to take its tole on me now.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #217 on: December 30, 2009, 06:20 PM »

That's ^ the impression I've been getting too.  I used to enjoy listening to his interviews; however, to be fair to all the people, including Agassi, who have to give interviews on a regular basis - it must be very difficult - impossible - to sound sincere and non-repetitive.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #218 on: December 30, 2009, 06:23 PM »

Yes, you do end up repeating yourself but he doesn't need to be selling himself to this degree, he's coming off a bit desperate for attention right now.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #219 on: December 30, 2009, 06:24 PM »

Yes ^ - that's what I was suggesting umpteen posts ago.

He's always been a showman, and it used to be fun ..... it would be impossible to live in Las Vegas and not have some of it rub off I'd think ...

Speaking of Agassi - did I read somewhere that he no longer employed his lifetime friend as his manager ?
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #220 on: December 30, 2009, 06:55 PM »

I think there is a difference between loving yourself and being self assured, Agassi gives the impression of being the latter. I also recieved the boom for Christmas but have yet to read it Think
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #221 on: December 30, 2009, 07:21 PM »

I hoep yuo enjoy teh boom. Very Happy
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #222 on: December 30, 2009, 07:33 PM »

Speaking of Agassi - did I read somewhere that he no longer employed his lifetime friend as his manager ?
Interesting!
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #223 on: December 30, 2009, 10:47 PM »

I hoep yuo enjoy teh boom. Very Happy
lmao I only just saw that and it has to be said that I had a gooood old laugh at it! Obvs it was meant to be book folks....
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #224 on: December 30, 2009, 11:36 PM »

It's really good. Enjoy it! x
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »