Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Somdev Devvarman, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Andre Agassi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Andre Agassi

(Read 4130 times)
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #225 on: December 30, 2009, 11:44 PM »

Thanks I may go and fetch it and get stuck in right now, but I have an awful tendancy to stay up far too late reading etc.... Think

I'm going to start it anyway! Smile
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #226 on: December 31, 2009, 12:01 AM »

Me too. Finished it pretty quickly after a few 3am Reading sessions. He did have a ghost writer but it's very cleverly done. Quite witty in places. Made me laugh anyway!
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #227 on: December 31, 2009, 12:13 AM »

Me too. Finished it pretty quickly after a few 3am Reading sessions. He did have a ghost writer but it's very cleverly done. Quite witty in places. Made me laugh anyway!
Smile I'm bloody awful, I like to call it insomnia, because that sounds like a genuine medical problem, but it really isn't, I'm just some kind of self-destructive lazy person.... Very Happy
And I notice how you put reading with a capital R, does that mean you are on some kind of Apple device? Changes it on my phone every time, so annoying!
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Agassi admits use of crystal meth « Reply #228 on: December 31, 2009, 12:39 AM »

Can I say that I am already finding it ADORABLE that he calls her Stephanie, as opposed to Steffi as the rest of the entire world knows her...

And Mark do you think we should probably split this thread in to one dedacated to the book? Think
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #229 on: December 31, 2009, 01:11 AM »

I've just renamed the thread so it can cover everything Smile
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #230 on: December 31, 2009, 02:33 AM »

I've just renamed the thread so it can cover everything Smile
Brilliant work Mark! Very Happy
And damn it! I wasn't going to stay up late reading the flipping book....
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #231 on: December 31, 2009, 08:19 AM »

Looks like not everyone is enthralled with Agassi's book.  I've read many negative comments along the lines of the following (this person is obviously not an Agassi fan) ...

Also, my comment, a few posts back about his Manager and lifetime best friend Perry Rogers no longer being in his employ would appear to be correct as this article mentions a tell-all book by Perry Rogers !!

…”maybe two paragraphs”?? Well, the excerpts at CNNSI were longer than that, so save us the whitewash. And save us all the slobbering you’re doing over someone who frankly doesn’t deserve most of it. You still don’t seem to get it as to WHY that particular revalation of the Meth obscures most of what he accomplished. It’s not about Crystal Meth - it was about the corrupt soul he revealed himself to be when the ATP finally did bust him. Not that he was alone; the ATP has still to this day LOTS of ’splainin to do. Wouldn’t you just love to know how much money Agassi might have “diverted” to the ATP so as to keep this quiet? I mean, once the ATP found out he was using - and obviously buying - how is it in their interest to sweep it away? If the organization looked away from Agassi’s use & purchase of illegal substances back then, and anyone knew it, the ATP would have been subjected to not only a criminal investigation but also a host of lawsuits. It would have bankrupted them. What could have been in their interest to say nothing??$$$???

In case we need reminding on why Agassi lied to the ATP, we need look no further than Tiger Woods today, whose sponsors can’t bail on him fast enough. Every single celebrity endorsement contract has a lengthy section often referred to as a “morals clause”, which gives the sponsor immediate termination rights for things like, well, high profile infidelity in the case of Woods. But that would have been nothing compared to how fast Canon, Head, Slot Machine Makers and the rest would have dumped Agassi once his use of narcotics became public. And Agassi understood this fully - which also was not in his excerpts. Had he ADMITTED openly to lying to keep the money rolling in THAT would have been something worthwhile. But the fact he even skirted THAT (fooling nobody) tells you exactly the kind of guy he is. He’ll cop to the action, so long as no one makes him go near the question of motive. Yeah, real upstanding guy, that Agassi. So he lied to save his endorsement money. I don’t care what he writes in the rest of his self aggrandizing book; this is hardly the stuff of heroism. Agassi proved true the First Rule of Detecting - Follow the money. Especially true regarding him.

Andre Agassi is simple to understand: he’s a garden-variety narcissistic personality. He’s your typical celebrity constantly in search of any spotlight he can push his way in to. Everything he does has the same subtext screamed out to the world: LOOK AT ME!!!!! The very act of writing a tell all book like this has one is the perfect example of that very subtext. With Sampras and Courier making money & headlines with the Champions Tour & Exos, Andre The Giant Megalomaniac didn’t want to be left out. Agassi sincerely believes (wrongly) that the minutae of his life is something we just can’t wait to hear about. And this book has more than one specific aim: get in front of a story, probably trying to take the steam out of the forthcoming Perry Rogers tell-all. Word from the publishing world is that Agassi has a second purpose for such “confession” in book form today: he’s evidently testing waters politically. Which is remarkably perfect for him. Besides show business, there is no other profession more suitable to a grandiose-sized ego than politics. Come to think of it, his handling of the Meth incident is the perfect job pre-requisite for any Agassi political career. How appropriate for him to end up working in the same corrupt town with a doofus like Obama.

So Agassi put his contiually spotlight hungry life details on paper, just in case we missed any of it over the last 25 years? Yawn.

IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #232 on: December 31, 2009, 09:30 PM »

^Cant make out if your a fan or not. lol
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #233 on: January 01, 2010, 01:59 AM »

Daisy, have you read the book?

And also, this news about Perry has deeply upset me, the ENTIRE book now seems a sham! lol
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #234 on: January 01, 2010, 03:06 AM »

EEK.  I don't know what to think..... I've not read the book, so I probably shouldn't comment (especially after a belly full of booze).  But, to be fair to Agassi, he has had his demons to wrestle with, like the rest of us, but his have been in the public eye, and perhaps by writing this book, it's helped him to explain and to lay them to rest.  But then again, most of us have to do it internally.  Personally, I like to think the best about people.

The whole 'stuff' with Agassi, Woods etc. is a common theme in everyday life.  There's nowt new in hearing about people who turn to 'a drug of choice' to help them cope in times of despair.  However, it's ultimately about taking a bit of responsibility and trying not to hurt others along the way.   Some people 'get it' and some don't - it's just the way it is....  Shrug
[ Last edit by Elly January 01, 2010, 04:04 AM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #235 on: March 11, 2010, 01:54 PM »

I thought the thing about him hating tennis was revealed for the first time in the book, but I just found this interview in 2004 where he admits it:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article442302.ece
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #236 on: March 11, 2010, 01:56 PM »

What has Perry Rogers said, anyone know?
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #237 on: March 11, 2010, 02:37 PM »

Don't know. He certainly doesn't work for him anymore! It's a shame really, makes the book seem a little bit meh now...
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #238 on: March 14, 2010, 12:00 PM »

Not reading the whole thing as I don't want spoilers. I am about 170 pages in, but I started it about 2-3 weeks ago haha. I don't really think it's great from a grammatical point of view. He apparently doesn't believe in speechmarks haha.

S'alright. Very enlightening and to the point but I wouldn't say it's gripping. I expected a few more funny stories.

I have also read Joe Calzaghe's book recently which I must say is 24324211x better.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Andre Agassi « Reply #239 on: July 12, 2011, 10:44 AM »

Agassi was inducted into the Hall of Fame yesterday. I love the way he applies the same precision to his words as he did to his shotmaking.

"I fell in love with tennis far too late in my life. But the reason I have everything I hold dear is because tennis has loved me back."

"If we're lucky in life, we get a few moments where we don't have to wonder if we made our parents proud. I want to thank tennis for giving me those moments."

Agassi also recounted a meeting with Nelson Mandela in which the former South African President told him, "You must live carefully."

"I didn't always live carefully. I didn't always pay tennis the respect it deserved," Agassi admitted. "I didn't know myself, and I didn't realise that my troubles were of my own making."

"Rock bottom's an interesting place. I moved in and spent some time there. Going from 141 in the world back to No 1 was not an accomplishment, it was the reflection of an accomplishment. It was a symptom of good choices."

At the end of his speech, he turned to his own children and the others in the crowd and told them to look at the nurses and teachers who "win their own personal Grand Slams".

"They know already what it took me decades to find out: to shine in secret, and to give when there's no one applauding," he said. "It's not too late to be inspired. It's not too late to change. It's not too late."
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »