Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Anyone been to the US Open? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Anyone been to the US Open?

(Read 694 times)
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

Anyone been to the US Open? « on: July 10, 2013, 01:49 AM »

Hi everyone,

I've just booked tickets for the US Open - I went for the Open Premiere plan and so have tickets for every first round match on Arthur Ashe.

Can't wait to go now Smile but just wondered if anyone's been before and has any tips for visiting, must sees etc?

Thanks

Dan
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:35 AM »

Haven't been but it's certainly a dream of mine one day. Looking forward to your reviews.

I'm currently organising a trip to the Melbourne for the AO in January. Just trying to work out which dates to go for. Thinking maybe a quarter final package and something late in the first week or middle weekend too.
IP Logged
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:11 AM »

Sounds awesome, I'd love to go to the AO one day Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:43 AM »

Tommy has been a couple of times I believe.

Haven't been but it's certainly a dream of mine one day. Looking forward to your reviews.

I'm currently organising a trip to the Melbourne for the AO in January. Just trying to work out which dates to go for. Thinking maybe a quarter final package and something late in the first week or middle weekend too.

Not for me next year, trip to UK this year instead.  I know you'll have a brill time Alex yes
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 03:58 AM »

Thanks, I last went in 2006 with the first week package - centre court tickets for each of the first 5 days. Wanting to do something a bit later in the tournament this time so to hopefully get some better matches.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:37 AM »

Talked to a woman at Queens who'd been twice and was going this year. She said it's brilliant. She stayed at a hotel bang on the underground and the transit system takes the tournament into consideration and runs special late trains. Unlike the London underground one year, I seem to remember. Rolling Eyes
Have u been to New York b4? Gr8 city and worth a look if u haven't. thumb up
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:41 AM »

The US Open is the only Grand Slam I haven't been too, I intended to go this year but Hubby not well so cannot go, let us know how you get on with tickets , I was talking to a couple from the US at Wimbledon and they said a lot of the tickets for the later stages of the tournament get taken up by corporate firms who then sell the tickets on at exorbitant prices,
The AO Open was great when I booked online her in the UK I was able to choose whether I sat in the sun or the shade, the 2nd day I went though the temperature was nearing 40 degrees and they put the roof over, lovely watching tennis with air conditioning pumping out. I got the feeling from talking to other people sitting near to me that tickets are much easier to get than here in England, but it was about 7 years ago that I went.
I think tickets for Wimbledon next year are going to be even harder to come by with Andy winning.
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 09:45 AM »

I've been, but a long time ago in 2000.  I was a poor student and couldn't afford Arthur Ashe tickets - at that time, I think you paid $80 for access to everywhere including Arthur Ashe, or $40 for access to everywhere except Arthur Ashe.  Tim Henman was playing on Louis Armstrong and I got a seat nice and far forward to cheer for him though so I was happy :-)  nearly got knocked over by McEnroe on his way somewhere as well.

Funny thing was, I didn't buy tickets in advance, I just turned up on the day.  I couldn't persuade any of my workmates at the time to come with me so I was on the earliest train I could get from the city centre.  I arrived expecting to be at the end of a massive queue (as per Wimbledon when I'd done the same) and ended up being 20th in line and being interviewed by a local radio station at 7am!  Was utterly bemused by the lack of queue ... and also the seeming lack of popularity of McEnroe amongst the locals when his name came up.  I love him myself but plenty of them thought he was a loud-mouthed brat - opinion may have changed since then though.

I remember the souvenirs costing an absolute bomb and the same for the food and drink - they have a monopoly on you once you're in, so come prepared!  I had a fabulous time though.  Just have to tick the Aussie Open and RG off my bucket list!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 11:41 AM »

Hi everyone,

I've just booked tickets for the US Open - I went for the Open Premiere plan and so have tickets for every first round match on Arthur Ashe.

Can't wait to go now Smile but just wondered if anyone's been before and has any tips for visiting, must sees etc?

Thanks

Dan

How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:09 PM »

Only been to Wimbledon, but the Oz is my favourite Slam. So maybe one day in the future.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 12:24 PM »

No, but I'm going this year.  Got tickets for AA day session on the 1st Monday and then plan to go when Andy is playing.
IP Logged
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 02:13 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Never been to New York before so I'm mega excited about the whole thing!

It's good to hear that the subway runs late because our hotel is in Manhatten, so probably going to be using that to get to/from Flushing Meadows.

Tickets were $329 each
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 09:34 AM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Never been to New York before so I'm mega excited about the whole thing!

It's good to hear that the subway runs late because our hotel is in Manhatten, so probably going to be using that to get to/from Flushing Meadows.

Tickets were $329 each

Great to hear you have booked to go to the US Open I am sure you will love the experience.
We loved New York itself we did have reservations about the place but we found everyone very helpful and friendly, although it is a very expensive City to visit so hope you take lots of US Dollars with you.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 05:53 PM »

No, but then I've never been anywhere, so..... Whistle

If someone feels the urge to take me to the US Open, don't hold back. I'd be pretty good company and I'm fairly house-trained Whistle.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Anyone been to the US Open? « Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 03:36 AM »

Rather than start a new thread just yet, I have booked flights for Melbourne in January for the AO. Tickets go on sale in October. At the moment am planning on the quarter final package and either the 1 or 2 days before the quarters too. Would love to go the semis or final but too expensive. Will see how carried away I get on the day of booking though!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »