Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who wins?
Federer 3-0
Federer 3-1
Federer 3-2
Nadal 3-0
Nadal 3-1
Nadal 3-2

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal

(Read 3109 times)
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « on: January 25, 2012, 02:43 PM »

Thought it would maybe be wise to start a thread dedicated to the first of the Semi Finals!

Came across an interesting stat, not sure how well it is known in this forum, that Federer has not beaten Nadal on an outdoor hard court since Miami 2005, and even then it was coming from 2 sets to love down! Nadal leads 4-1 on outdoor hard courts in total. Indoor hard is a different story, with Federer leading 4-0. It looks as if the weather is set fair for tomorrow so the roof will probably be open. Furthermore, only once in 8 Grand Slam matches has a Federer/Nadal match been won in straight sets (French Open 2008), so we could be in for a long one.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:50 PM »

Thanks for that - very interesting.  I have to favour Nadal to win this one. I just think that he is now mentally stronger than Federer.  I'm not sure why - I just do.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:51 PM »

That's an interesting stat - I wonder if the commentators have done their research on this because a lot of them seem to be tipping Federer? I think Nadal will take this in 4 sets - with the high bounce of the AO court, he can target Federer's one-handed backhand all match long and make things very difficult for him.

Looking forward to it - nice to watch a match without any nerves ahead of the Andy/Djokovic semi!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:56 PM »

Bookies are backing Fed and they NEVER lose money, but Rafa's forehand has looked monstrous and we all know what he does to Fed's backhand, so I'm not so sure, also courts are slow, must benefit Rafa. Rafa is in Fed's head too so am wondering if WTF victory will change this, unlikely I'd say.
Fed has looked the best so far though.
Is it not a night match?
If Andy comes through, I'd much rather he met Rafa. What do you guys think?
IP Logged
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:02 PM »

Bookies are backing Fed and they NEVER lose money, but Rafa's forehand has looked monstrous and we all know what he does to Fed's backhand, so I'm not so sure, also courts are slow, must benefit Rafa. Rafa is in Fed's head too so am wondering if WTF victory will change this, unlikely I'd say.
Is it not a night match?

I'm intrigued with this one, I normally have an incling when they meet but this time I'm totally stumped! Yep it is a night match, I think it starts at 7:30pm Australian time, which is 8:30am GMT. As it's at night its obviously cooler, but I'm not sure who that favours...

I don't know, I feel more confident when he plays Federer, but I'm unsure as Nadal seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence of late.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03 PM »

Is it not a night match?

Yep - while it would still hurt like hell for him to lose to Rafa, at least there wouldn't be the overwhelming nausea on top of that were Frauderer to get his smug hands on the trophy again.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Usual, Mr Federer? Yes, please have the extra day of rest delivered to my Presidential Suite as arranged.
IP Logged
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19 PM »

Usual, Mr Federer? Yes, please have the extra day of rest delivered to my Presidential Suite as arranged.

Couldn't agree more with that. The worst of these incidents was at the US Open last year when Federer got a Monday start, Djokovic and Nadal Tuesday, and inexplicably, Andy on Wednesday?!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:22 PM »

lmao But don't think it matters as long as Andy/Novak have a day to recover. In fact I've read somewhere that two days rest is considered bad by some players because you lose your momentum.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 07:40 PM »

Cannooooooooooooooooooooooot wait! Rodge gonna cry! Very Happy
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:07 PM »

lmao But don't think it matters as long as Andy/Novak have a day to recover. In fact I've read somewhere that two days rest is considered bad by some players because you lose your momentum.

If he gets past Novak on Friday I prefer that he only has one day off. That's plenty of time to recover given the relative ease of his passage so far. It also means he'll have less time to think about everything which is important for obvious reasons  Whistle
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:19 PM »

Is it not a night match?

I knew about Rafas dominance on outdoor hard courts and he's playing well too. The end of the berdych match was vintage Rafa.
Federer's form is based on beating qualifiers having walk overs and playing a seeded player not back to his best, I doubt the bookies are doing anything more than going on what evidence is available. Im still not sure about any of the top 4's form, although there are some good signs from Andy.
I think Raga is going to win but it wont be as easy as his recent wins over Fed on hard courts, such as the Miami semi. And I  would prefer him over Federer for Andy should they meet in the final. Although proven to be the more difficult opponent. Andy has significantly beaten him here before and may have turned a corner against Rafa when you see how he murdered him in Tokyo.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Rodge gonna cry! Very Happy

There was a huge picture of Fed crying in the Sun today.  The article was saying how desperate Fed is to get revenge on Rafa for taking away his beloved AO trophy.  The headline was something like...I'm gonna make Rafa cry.

Somehow, I don't think so...
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13 PM »

God, I hope not!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: AO 2012 SF: Federer vs Nadal « Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26 PM »

Yes I do not know how Mr Smug always comes out with getting a the preferential treatment. He always seems to get the best of the draw. I could not stand it if he got to the final. We would never hear the end of it. Mats Wilander will be tripping over his feet to make obeysiance to him and Annabelle Croft would swoon at his feet the thought of it just makes me feel sick. So come on Rafa lets put an end to his dreams of winning another slam.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »